New Blog and the Twelve Mile Accident

April 26, 2010

This is my first official post on my new blog! Do you like it?? Thanks for clicking over to What Runs Lori… and I promise, you will find out…

First, I’d like to thank Seth of Boy Meets Food and Etown Web Design for his amazing skills as a web designer! He helped me tremendously with getting this blog up and running. Big THANK YOU to Seth!

I’d like to start out this Monday morning with an update on my weekend. Just because I know you’re all dying to know about What Runs Lori during her days off.

Yesterday, I decided to go for a run. I haven’t been running much lately because of all the other activities (boot camp, kickboxing, etc.) I’ve been doing, but it was such a beautiful day. So, I drove the thirty minutes to Rancho San Antonio Open Space Preserve and set out on my journey through the trails. This may be my favorite place to run simply because of its views on some trails. It looks over the entire Silicon Valley and on a clear day you can see all 50 some miles to San Francisco. It hosts some great trail runs.

So anyway, I was planning on doing a quick 4 mile run. As I got past the first few miles I came to a sign for Old Windmill Trail 2.3 miles, so I decided to take it. Little did I know that the whole thing was completely uphill. Well, I made it, running most of it, walking just a few times. Until I came to the top and figured continuing this trail, taking the downhill on the other side, would pop me out at the park entrance and the short half mile to my car.

And this is where I was mistaken.

The bottom of this trail took me to a dead end with a road branching in two directions. Neither looked promising. There were a few people that had just hiked, talking by their cars. I approached them and asked which road would take me back to Rancho. They had no idea what Rancho was. Bad sign.

But a woman near us told me that taking the road would be about 25 miles more and I would probably be better off going back the way I came.

Long story short, I ended up doing about 12 miles total. As tired as I was and for not having run in a while, it was a great 2 hours. Although, today my knee is killing me! UG!

Sweaty mess is me.

Calculated by my Garmin watch, I burned about 1200 or so calories during my run. Not too shabby. So, what does that mean in terms of eating? Yay for me… I needed to fuel so why not stop at Cafe Gratitude?

I loaded up during this trip. I got myself I AM LUSCIOUS- raw chocolate shake consisting of hazelnut milk, figs, dates, raw cacao and vanilla and I added Vitamineral Green.

DELICIOUS! Uh… I mean LUSCIOUS.

I got I AM WHOLE for later- Shredded kale, sea vegetables, quinoa, home-made kim chee, and sprouts with garlic-tahini sauce and teriyaki almonds.

I was full.

And who can stop by Cafe Gratitude without getting dessert…? Well, I can’t!

I AM BLISS

Chocolate Hazelnut Mousse Pie – probably the best dessert I’ve had from there.

I AM RAPTURE

Strawberry (raw) Shortcake

I’m pretty sure I made up the calorie deficit I was in… Although I didn’t eat everything! Sheesh… I’m not that much of a glutton.

What did you do over the weekend???

Kady @ Livin, Lovin, Learnin April 29, 2010 at 4:47 AM

Yikes! I think I would have been crawling by the end of that! That cake looks like an extremely delicious way to fill the calorie deficit!

Angie April 28, 2010 at 6:27 AM

You won the sunshine award!

I will have to change the link to your new blog! Looks great!

Heather April 27, 2010 at 4:27 PM

Beautiful new blog!

Whoa! 12 miles, i cant imagine running that far – you go girl!

How lucky you are to live near Cafe Gratitude, I sooo want to go there one day!

sarah April 27, 2010 at 10:11 AM

I ran too, I did 10 miles then a short hike. I’m doing my first half marathon this weekend. Yay!

Those desserts look amazing!

Love the look of your blog.
.-= sarah´s last blog ..Happy Monday, Raw Cinnamon Raisin Bread =-.

Lori April 27, 2010 at 11:57 AM

Sarah- that is awesome! Good luck with your first half marathon!!!!

Pure2Raw Twins April 27, 2010 at 8:48 AM

The same thing has happend to us before. We went for what was supposed to be a “short” run and we ended running for 2 hours too! Crazy! But your fuel smoothie looked perfect!! And those desserts…yum!
.-= Pure2Raw Twins´s last blog ..Birthday treats =-.

Melissa April 27, 2010 at 7:59 AM

Wow..at least you were in beautiful surroundings? Glad you didn’t have to do 23 miles….geesh! My knee would be hurting today too..hope you heal soon:) Love all your eats….I’ve seen amazing desserts from Cafe Gratitude…mmm
.-= Melissa´s last blog ..Homemade Vegan Sausages =-.

Ally @ Sweet & Savory April 27, 2010 at 2:52 AM

Oh, you poor thing, getting lost on the trail…did panic set it? Because it would have for me!

Those desserts look absolutely delicious! Our weekend was pretty calm, just getting stuff done around the house! One of our last weekends were we don’t have to be somewhere!

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) April 26, 2010 at 6:28 PM

When scott and i used to run alot and train for marathons, we go out w/ the goal of just running for say 90 mins. Not miles, but time. Many wrong turns on rural deserted roads later, there were a few times 90 mins turned into 2.5-3 hrs in the heat and yeah, hard times girl!

Your garmin thing…do you love it? I have thought about gettign one just b/c everyone else has one but really not sure if i need it.. clearly i dont but am considering it…any thoughts on if you’d re-buy your exact model or what to look for, holla!
xo
.-= Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga)´s last blog ..Signed with an Agency, Dark Chocolate Coconut Snowballs, Following Directions, Leader or Follower =-.

Katie April 26, 2010 at 6:15 PM

Wow. I think I would have died. That sounds like something I would have done though!

I’d have eaten all those cakes too. 😀
.-= Katie´s last blog ..Manic Monday =-.

Lori April 27, 2010 at 7:08 AM

Haha! I was super tired when I got to the end of the trail and the 5 miles… but I think that we because I knew I had to go back exactly the way I came.. mentally, I just wasn’t prepared for that! But the last 3 miles I actually had more energy! And I finished the run full speed. It felt great!