It’s finally spring. There is nothing better than soaking up sun and enjoying the clean, fresh air that Winter leaves behind. I love this time of year, and not just for warm sun providing required growing potential for plants everywhere. Such as what I got in my new local veggie basket program…
The Motherload! Thank you, Sea Level Farm!
Seriously, $25 got us all of this:
- A big bag of spinach
- Frisee, two bunches
- Two butter lettuce heads (my favorite!!!)
- Weird Arugula (honestly, that’s what it’s called)
- Two baskets of Strawberries
- Raspberries (that taste awesome)
- And Blackberries
Pretty sure this takes care of my grocery needs for the week… along with our garden, I’m in Veggie Heaven. And that makes me smile…
Enter: Smile Challenge (*see below)! Whilst working hard having absolutely nothing, I read through the latest Natural Health Magazine, finding an article on smiling. Did you know, just as yawning is contagious, so are smiles? I like that. 🙂 Research shows that body language influences the well-being and state of mind of others. If you’re not sold on that statement, the article suggests walking through a room with a genuine smile on your face and watching how that changes the mood. Cool.
To change a bad thought or a not-so-stellar day, try smiling. Just the act alone puts you in a better state of mind. If you need some help on what to smile about, here are 5 things that keep my pearly whites showing:
1. Kabocha Dinner
And not only kabocha, but baked kabocha squash with coconut oil, coriander, cumin, salt, pepper, and garlic powder. Mmmmmm. Right along side with some fresh lettuce in salad form from my veggie box.
Best stuff on Earth… And made by the Earth.
2. My boyfriend stealing a picture of me lounging in sweats
Thanks, Sascha… ; P
3. Making a smoothie out of my new veggies (above)
Fresh Chard, Spinach, Chia Seeds, Blueberries, Bananas, Protein Powder, Stevia. Topped with Goji berries and cacao nibs. And yeah, that’s a Guinness glass.
4. A Recipe for Chia Almond Paleo Bars
- 1 cup Almond butter
- 1 tbsp chia seeds
- 1/2 cup shredded dried coconut
- 2 scoops (66 grams or 1/3 cup-ish) Jay Robb’s Chocolate Egg White Protein powder
- 5 drops Vanilla Cream liquid Stevia
- Handful Goji berries and raisins
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 tsp vanilla (or more if mixture needs thinning)
- water or almond milk for thinning
- Drizzle of yacon syrup (optional for sweeter flavor)
- Dash of salt and cinnamon
Mix all ingredients together in a large bowl until thoroughly mixed. Press the “batter” into a glass baking dish and place in the freezer to set. When solid, about 3 hours, remove from freezer and cut into squares. I wrapped mine in plastic wrap for easy transporting to the gym and work. Introduce this clean, healthy, energizing bar with a friend. 🙂
5. Watching my sister graduate from UC Santa Barbara tomorrow!
On my way down there (4 hour drive) today! Can’t wait! Congrats little sister! I’m proud of you and I love you!
*Smile Challenge: I challenge you to smile, since there are so many reasons out there to! Smile at someone you don’t know, make their day, or just pass along the good vibrations. Smile. 🙂