Alaska, Part 1: The Wedding

July 19, 2010

I know it’s been an incredibly long time a while since I last posted a substantial post, but I’m still in the process of recovering from all the traveling I did this past week and a half. Not only did I go to Alaska for a week, but while I was gone, there was a death in my boyfriend’s family and the funeral, in Long Beach, CA, was on the day I was to fly back to San Francisco. With many hours on the phone, I was able to switch my flight and landed in Long Beach after 10 + hours of traveling (overnight). We drove back the 6 hours from Long Beach last Thursday and I have been trying to catch up on sleep, laundry, and reality since then. I still don’t have all of the pictures, as everyone took some, but I will do my best with those pictures I do have. ๐Ÿ˜‰ But, without further ad0, enjoy Alaska: Part 1.

The Wedding

Arriving in Alaska at 11:00 pm is a trip. The skies are lit with a hazy twilight, never fully reaching darkness. The 360 degree landscape is an amazing sight with the lush, green mountains only streaked at the top with snow. Entering one of my best friend’s house and being greeted (after not seeing her for two years) with a glass of champagne and a giant hug, set my nerves at ease, knowing that this was going to be one truly unforgettable vacation. The next day I woke up early, not only because of the hour difference in time, but because even with blinds drawn closed, the overcast light shone in (all night). I grabbed my shoes and set out in the Alaskan wilderness, that being the neighborhood of houses and an elementary school. Hey, isn’t all of Alaska wilderness? Running through the freshest, most crisp air, clear from a midnight rain, and the lack of pollution, gave me the exact high that I was looking for, as exercise is famous for. Cotton trees lined the sidewalks, along with a few brightly painted fire hydrants.

Beauty Qeens of the Bridal Party: Erika, Kristi, Ashley, Angie, Lori (me)

After burning some calories, showering, and jumping in the crowded car with the Bride and the four other bridesmaids, we set out for the salon. Who knew that spending four and a half hours at a salon could be so much fun. Champagne and then mimosa toasts, makeup applied, and hair done, we dressed and were picked up by the “Magic Bus,” to make our way to the Alaska Botanical Gardens where the ceremony was held. Along the highway the Bus pulled over to let us gaze upon two huge moose. If you have never seen a moose, they are gigantic, fuzzy, and pretty freaking cool looking.

Top Left, Clockwise: Erika, Kristi, Ashley, Lori (me), Sophie (bride), Angie

The ceremony was a short five to ten minutes, very personal, as it was small, and moving. Sophie and Scott exchanged vows, touching us all, kissed, and became official. Pictures were taken with the wedding party, family members, and, of course, the bride and groom. And onto the reception…

I'm the second from the end on the left ๐Ÿ™‚

Me: Last one of the right

Lovely ladies rockin' the swords, right to left: Angie, Kristi, Sophie, Ashley, Me, Erika

Alaska Bontanical Gardens

Alaska, Part 2 (tomorrow) will include the reception and other Alaskan shenanigans. For now, we’re taking a break and switching to food, my favorite part of a lot of things. I can honestly say, I love cooking. Being away from my blender was hard, during the trip, but having to eat out for every meal was much more difficult. Once back, I hit the kitchen as soon as I could.

Baked butternut squash, drizzled with tahini, oven poached fennel with sea salt (wrapped in tin foil and baked along side the squash), and delicious green salad with tangy Thai dressing.

Fresh and clean was needed. And this dressing, can’t be beat!

Tangy Thai Dressing

• 3 tbsp fresh lime juice
  • 3 tbsp olive oil
  • 1 tsp toasted sesame oil
  • 3 tbsp soy sauce
  • 3 tbsp fish sauce (can omit if keeping things vegan)
  • 1 tsp raw honey
  • 1 tsp fresh ginger, peeled and finely chopped
  • 1/2 clove garlic, finely sliced
  • 1 handful fresh cilantro and basil chopped

Combine all ingredients in a bowl and add any and all veggies that suit your taste for that day.

with REAL Tahini... Arabic style

๐Ÿ™‚

Questions Of The Day:

When do you lose faith?

How do you express love?

Alisa July 24, 2010 at 3:37 PM

Wow, now that is a gorgeous wedding party! So glad the trip was awesome.
.-= Alisa´s last blog ..Holy Crap- Insanity Works! My Fit Test Results โ€ฆ =-.

Kady @ Livin, Lovin, Learnin July 20, 2010 at 3:57 PM

I’m very sorry to hear about your loss. Trips are so exhausting and you tend to feel bummed when they’re over anyway and then to have something terrible like that happen must’ve really taken an emotional toll. But I’m glad you had a great time in Alaska while you were there! You (and all the other lovely ladies) looked absolutely grogeous and the men look so handsome in their uniforms! Alaska sounds like a fun place to visit. I once saw a moose on my college campus – I was outside playing ultimate frisbee and it came running about 100 yards away. The cops chased it away haha!

I express love not by saying it, but by my actions – like doing what I say I’m going to do and helping out in small everyday ways (like helping mom with the dishes or making dinner for a stressed friend. )
.-= Kady @ Livin, Lovin, Learnin´s last blog ..Anemia =-.

Simply Life July 20, 2010 at 2:43 AM

those flowers in the wedding are GORGEOUS!!!
.-= Simply Life´s last blog ..I Love Winning- Grilled Mango Tacos – =-.

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) July 19, 2010 at 8:35 PM

lori sooooo sorry to hear about your loss. that is just tragic and the timing..nothing like traveling hell days…to be going to a funeral no less. I am so very sorry, this must have taken a toll on you!

on lighter matters, and i am not just sayin this, these pics…you all are possibly the most beautiful bridal party i have ever seen! Each one of you girls is drop dead gorgeous!!! There are some lucky boys out there….seriously, you look aesome as do all the other girls!

that dressing. Swoon. I bet the fish sauce “makes it”, too. Vegan or not!
.-= Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga)´s last blog ..Vegan Gluten Free Blueberry Streusel Muffins with Protein Option- New Trainer- Push Yourself or Take It Easy =-.

Katie July 19, 2010 at 6:03 PM

I’m so sorry about your loss, especially since it came after such a gorgeous wedding! I love those bouquets, and it is kind of fun to get all dressed up and have your hair done once in a while, isn’t it?

The sqaush, the dressing, it all looks so great! Welcome home, and welcome back to your boender! I missed mine terrible when I was away from it too.
.-= Katie´s last blog ..Holy mother of cookiesโ€ฆliterally =-.

Pure2Raw Twins July 19, 2010 at 4:16 PM

Wedding looks like a lot of fun, and everyone looks beautiful!!!! Sorry about all your travel and family issues, thinking of you ๐Ÿ™‚ Sending lots of hugs!

Kim @ CoffeeandBerries July 19, 2010 at 2:38 PM

Thanks for you comment! Your blog is beautiful!

I can’t wait to try out that dressing. I love it that you gave a heads up that it could also be veg!

I express love towards people by taking care of them, even if it’s just with little things. I also like to give hugs. haha ๐Ÿ™‚
.-= Kim @ CoffeeandBerries´s last blog ..Salad- tofu- and goat-gurt =-.

Lauren July 19, 2010 at 2:35 PM

You look so gorgeous!! The butternut squash comes in at a CLOSE second though… Geesh.
.-= Lauren´s last blog ..Quick post =-.

Katie @ Health for the Whole Self July 19, 2010 at 2:20 PM

Looks like a beautiful wedding! And thanks for sharing that dressing recipe – sounds delicious! ๐Ÿ™‚

Alycia @ Fit n Fresh July 19, 2010 at 12:08 PM

What a fun time!! I have always wanted to go to Alaska – it looks like you had a beautiful trip. I can’t wait for more pictures (I’m kind of a picture whore haha)

katie July 19, 2010 at 11:59 AM

WOW what a beautiful wedding!! is tahini worth buying? ive seen it all over the blog world and i always want it!!
i express love by physically being there for someone. sometimes theres just no words you can say- you just have to be there
.-= katie´s last blog ..WINNERRRR! =-.

Kelly @ Healthy Living With Kelly July 19, 2010 at 10:54 AM

I had a friend who lived in alaska for a short time and she said it was totally trippy that it never got completely dark! I would hate that….does it go the other way too? I mean are there days where the sun never shines?