When Alaska Hands You Salmon

July 30, 2010

Smoke it!

And wouldn’t you know, Alton Brown is a genius. (about 3 minutes in, you’ll get the idea)

So, you might have guessed that I still have a ton of Alaska pictures to share with you… I’ll get there. But for now, here is what I did with one pound of the salmon I caught. Yeah, that’s right, I caught 2 salmon while out in the depths of the Alaska Oceans. It was SO much fun!

Homemade Wild Alaskan Smoked Salmon

Supplies:

• Cardboard box smoker (see this site or above video)
  • Wood chips for smoking
  • Fresh Alaskan Salmon (from Alaska, thank you very much)
  • Fresh Trout (from Whole Foods)
  • Brine for fish: 1 cup water to 1/2 cup kosher salt

Freshest Salmon you can ever get. πŸ˜‰

Trout in Brine

Brine, pre-mixed

Cherry Wood Chips

Step 1: Prepare your smoker

Ghetto but fabulous. This baby really worked.

Step 2: Brine your fish for at least 2 hours (see above).

Step 3: Heat those wood chips. Preferably in a cast-iron pan on a hot plate at the bottom of your smoker.

Wood chips being heated

Step 4: Place fish onto racks placed above the pan of heating wood chips. Smoke the fish for about 6 hours (*edited–>) 2.5 hrs for the trout, 3 hrs for the salmon (thanks boyfriend!).

Fish being smoked above, chips being heated below

Step 5: EAT!!!!!

Salmon!

Trout!

Altogether now.

Best. Fish. Ever.

Ever.

I can honestly say that I have never, ever had better tasting fish. Ever. It was so good, my mouth is watering just writing this. Although the smoking and prep work takes a little time, it is way worth it.

What is one of the best things you have ever tasted???

Happy weekend!

Melissa August 2, 2010 at 10:32 AM

I used to watch Alton Brown all the time..great show he has!
That salmon looks amazing..great job!
That’s pretty cool that you can smoke salmon in a cardboard box!!
.-= Melissa´s last blog ..Kale chipies plus fruit overload =-.

Mama Samaan August 1, 2010 at 7:09 AM

I want some of that when I get back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

maggie(livingfoodjunkie August 1, 2010 at 6:51 AM

Whoa Lori this is so awesome!! I bet it tasted as amazing as you said it did πŸ™‚ I haven’t had fresh smoked salmon or trout since I was a kid! It is one of my favorite food memories. On of the best things I ever ate was at a Greek Restaurant when I was about 14 years old. It was a Tomato Red Onion Salad with fresh oregano, olive oil and whatever other secret ingriedents they threw in. So delicious!

Hope your having a wonderful summer Lori!
~Maggie
.-= maggie(livingfoodjunkie´s last blog ..Summertime =-.

Alisa July 31, 2010 at 2:49 PM

Love the ghetto contraption. Very inventive. I’ve been wanting to make a cold smoked salmon, but keep forgetting.

Too many awesome things to name one πŸ™‚
.-= Alisa´s last blog ..10 Random Facts About Me … =-.

Michelle July 31, 2010 at 9:56 AM

VERY impressed with your fishing and smoker-constructing skills. The salmon looks delicious. I’ve never had freshly smoked, it has to be wonderful. Oh man, now I’m hungry.
.-= Michelle´s last blog ..Red Pepper Hummus =-.

Pure2raw twins July 30, 2010 at 5:21 PM

Love your homemade smoker, that is awesome!!! Salmon looks great. Alton Brown is so funny πŸ˜‰ I hope you have a great weekend girl!
.-= Pure2raw twins´s last blog ..Almond Pistachio Fig Creme Cake Recipe =-.

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) July 30, 2010 at 4:53 PM

scott does biz in alaska AND is a jewish boy who loves his salmon. alaskan salmon is seriously music to his little jewish ears…he’s in hog heaven! and i am so impressed on your smoker action there girl!
.-= Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga)´s last blog ..TofuXpress Tofu Press Give Away! =-.

yo yo mama July 30, 2010 at 12:08 PM

Wow! Wonderful how-to-do. Yes, I would like to live closer also…or at least know when you are ready to eat your next salmon.

The (Cooking) Boyfriend July 30, 2010 at 11:58 AM

I must correct your post girlfriend. Six hours of smoking is too long for those three pieces of fish. I beleive it was more like 2.5 hours for the trout and 3 for the salmon. Lets do round two this weekend! Mwrar!

Katie July 30, 2010 at 10:08 AM

I always thought you were cool, but you’ve just earned about 18 cool points (that’s a lot) because a. you caught 2 salmon, b. you made your own freaking smoker! and c. you smoked your own salmon, which is really the only way I like salmon.

Now, if only you were my neighbor.
.-= Katie´s last blog ..It’s Christmas in July! =-.