The World is my Oyster

October 6, 2010

The World is my oyster. And why not?

Chargrilled oysters with parmesan cheese and spices

I mean, there are just so many things to do. So many places to see. So many people to meet.

Red beans and rice, jambalaya, and andui sausage

And SO many new things to eat…

Deep fried and breaded crawfish tails

Hush puppies

Acme Oyster House

Me and mama. πŸ™‚

If you haven’t been to New Orleans, you are missing out.

The Infamous Bourbon Street

The purpose for my New Orleans trip was for a huge business conference with Rodan + Fields Dermatologists. First of all, what an amazing conference this was. It was held in numerous rooms in the New Orleans Convention Center, with informational breakout sessions, trainings, inspirational speeches of highly successful partners, and talks from the actual doctors- Dr. Rodan and Dr. Fields– the creators of ProActiv Solution for acne. What they did for the acne market, they are now doing for aging skin. These Stanford-trained doctors are incredibly down to Earth, intelligent, funny, inspirational, and amazing to work for. I have honestly found a life-changing career. For that I am blessed.

My mom (middle) with the two doctors

Anyway, the convention gave me a completely new outlook on life. I am more confident, and much more curious about… everything. So the title of this post fits- The World is my oyster. πŸ™‚

Dr. Rodan and Dr. Fields at the 2nd Annual R+F Convention

R+F business partners, Karen, Top Income Earner, Sarah Robbins, and myself

The last night of the convention, R+F rented out a night club and hosted a giant Gala with decadent desserts, drinks, and lots of dancing. This was after the Top Earning Awards Banquet where we were introduced to all of the top income earners of 2010. Among the top were a former kindergarten school teacher (27 years old and pictured with me, above!), former stay at home mom, and former professional ice skater. The now retired school teacher is now making 10 times what she was making as a full-time teacher- now working part time. If she can do it, I damn well know I can, too.

Some business partners, myself, and my mom (far right)

Me and Biz Partner, karen

Me and Mom- Free Anti-Aging Regimen ($170 retail value) for anyone who can guess my mom's age... She's the reason I use these products and now represent them!

Party Foods (definitely NOT healthy...)

We were also introduced to all the new media coverage for Rodan + Fields and learned about our new anti-aging clinically proven delivery method for gaining incredible results- fast: patent-pending AMP MDβ„’ Maximum Delivery System

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

Enough about business, let’s talk food.

Representing Napolean House

Foods from Napolean House: Seafood Salad stuffed Avocadoes

Greek Salad with balsamic-dijon vinaigrette

Hummus Appetizer. I'm not gonna lie: Greek food is NOT the South's specialty.

My drink and I... it was a long day. πŸ˜‰

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

Vegetarian Love: Sweet poato soup with seasoned pumpkin seeds, green onions, and a dollop of duck fat and hidden Boudin patty on the bottom. Honestly the BEST thing I have EVER eaten.

Green Goddess in New Orleans is by far my number one recommendation for food.

Adobo Mess o' Greens "Cuban" Sandwich: Collard greens cooked in a savory Filipino style with coconut vinegar and coconut milk, served with a side salad topped with garlic aoli dressing

Watermelon Mango Salad: Chilled watermelon slices topped with cojita cheese and crab meat over arugula, surrounded by mango slices, topped with chili powder. Dressed with mango puree and saba

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

Other noteworthy food places included Cafe Du Monte. This is supposedly a “must” when visiting New Orleans. I could have lived without going here but I can see the attraction… if you like a pound of powdered sugar on fried pastry dough…

Beignets COVERED with powdered sugar

Beignets and coffee. You order from napkin holders πŸ™‚

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

New Orleans is one crazy, amazing city. And I love it. There is so much to do and see and taste. So many people to meet with such great stories of how they got there or what happened during Hurricane Katrina. Fascinating place.

I have so many more pictures to share but this post is already long enough… more great eats tomorrow!

What is the best vacation you have ever been on?

What made it so great?

test March 26, 2016 at 3:09 PM

Tremendous things here. I am very happy to look your
post. Thanks a lot and I am taking a look ahead to contact you.
Will you please drop me a mail?

Joanne October 8, 2010 at 9:27 AM

Man what an awesome vacation! New Orleans looks like the kind of place I would love…a great night life, good food, good people. I’m SOO glad you had a good time!
.-= Joanne´s last blog ..Caramel Macchiato Cupcakes with Caramel Italian Meringue Buttercream and a Hint of Sea Salt =-.

Pure2raw twins October 7, 2010 at 5:46 PM

What a great time. And to meet some many great women, so happy for you! And you will be successful!!!

All the food looked great…I wish I was there eating and drinking with ya ; )

Tori @ FIToriBLOG.com October 7, 2010 at 1:36 PM

So nice to “meet” you! I learned so much from this post! I travel to NO for biz. We live in N LA. Where do you live? I’m so glad to know about the proactiv docs getting into aging skin! So good to know ! And, SOO glad you had beignets at Cafe Du Monde…amazing huh??? I can taste the (choke on the) powdered sugar, fried goodness now! πŸ™‚

ericaunmasked.blogspot.com October 7, 2010 at 11:38 AM

hey there. welcome back. New Orleans is an amazing city – if your liver can take it:) I never went there on business…:) I LOVE THE APRON. My husband would too. I am so bad with ages – but she doesn’t look a day older then 45. Really.
.-= ericaunmasked.blogspot.com´s last blog ..A New Day =-.

melissa October 7, 2010 at 6:47 AM

WOW!!! such an amazing time and that conference sounds so uplifting..the world really is your oyster hun!!
I love all your pictures..and the food..a whole new level..wow!!
That deep fried pastry looked crazy..I bet crazy good:)
You and your mom look stunning at the gala!
Ps that apron is pretty funny lol!
Thanks for sharing your trip:)
Best vacation was my honeymoon to playa del Carmen..I was sick as a dog but the water and weather (and good company:) made it so memorable!!
.-= melissa´s last blog ..Tradeshow eats random facts! =-.

sophia October 6, 2010 at 11:33 PM

Holy crap. I KNEW it. I keep telling my family, we should visit New Orleans! And they say, noooo it sucks now because of Katrina, blah blah blah. WRONG! I must show them this post. They’ll DIE!

Amber Shea @Almost Vegan October 6, 2010 at 4:54 PM

Oh my, where to start?! Seafood-stuffed avocados = WOW. That pumpkin soup looks divine – best thing you’ve ever eaten, for real?

I have young-looking parents too, so I’ll guess higher than she looks (obviously). 68?

I haven’t had a beignet in ages, YUM!

And oh my god, if you ever see that “Will Cook For Sex” apron again, buy it for me and I will totally pay you back. Seriously! πŸ˜›
.-= Amber Shea @Almost Vegan´s last blog ..β€œHello Dolly” bars raw =-.

Michelle@ Housewife in the Raw October 6, 2010 at 4:01 PM

What a cool trip! I’m jealous of all your good eats and drinks!

As for your mom, I’m guessing she is older than she looks, hence the contest. I’ll go with 57. She is a stunner! I look forward to hearing more about the anti-aging products, since I’m starting to age and all….
.-= Michelle@ Housewife in the Raw´s last blog ..Banana Flax Crepes =-.

Katie October 6, 2010 at 3:13 PM

Please tell me you bought that apron. Please!

All the food…oh my god. i want it all and I want it all right now! I can’t decide what to try to recreate. Not surprised that the south doesn’t dig on the hummus. But the collard greens sandwich?!? Hells yes.

You come from some good genes, lady! I can’t even begin to guess her age because I suck at that kind of thing. but, in the interest of competition, I will. Ummm…..I assume she is older than she looks, otherwise it would be a silly question. I’ll guess 55.
.-= Katie´s last blog ..Adventures in Experiment-land =-.

Christine October 6, 2010 at 1:38 PM

“Will cook for sex”?!! LOVE IT!

Glad to hear you had a fun time, I’ve always wanted to go to New Orleans for a visit πŸ˜€ Your food looks AMAZING!
.-= Christine´s last blog ..Intermittent Fasting- Your Questions Answered =-.

Kelly Michelle October 6, 2010 at 1:17 PM

so glad you are loving your career πŸ™‚ you look super cute in all your pics!

Ela October 6, 2010 at 11:17 AM

I’ve been looking forward to your Big Easy story- and what a great post it was! I knew that was your mom before I saw the caption – she looks great, and you look alike. Is she about 60? She could be anything from late 40’s to early 60’s, looking fabulous.

Sounds like those doctors have a great business model for something they really believe in. Must be great to work around people like that. And a bonus to get a trip with your mom too.

That all looked like amazing food – you managed to make me think about how delicious it looked, instead of just thinking ‘I couldn’t eat that because…’ The vegetarian soup with duck fat was a little scary, though!

.-= Ela´s last blog ..Beans and Harvesting =-.

Natalia - a side of simple October 6, 2010 at 10:43 AM

(I’ve never commented before but I enjoy reading your blog so much!)
The best vacation I was ever on was when I was in Italy. Why? Oh, naturally the food. πŸ™‚
.-= Natalia – a side of simple´s last blog ..Sunday Un-Rest =-.