Nov
2010

Adventures in a Weekend

18 comments

Good morning, afternoon, or evening! Happy Monday! We are officially on the last leg of the Thanksgiving countdown… and where the Hell did time go, anyway? Wasn’t it just the beginning of 2010??

This weekend was filled with all things Lori. I exercised, I ate, I met a vegan-athlete-celebrity, I made food, I hung out with a new and great friend, I ate… you know, all the great things weekends should be filled with.

Let’s start with some some good eats. I have been slowly going back to eating less meat, because in all honesty, I feel way better when I’m not stuffing myself with heavy meals of animal products. Since I’m lifting and working out pretty hard, I’m still trying for an increase of protein but with blended greens (green smoothies), hemp protein, beans, legumes, and spirulina (which, if you are not aware, are great sources of protein).

Veggie Loaded Sweet Potato Lasagna with "cheesey" pistachio topping

This vegan lasagna recipe was an adaptation of the Engine 2 Diet’s Sweet Potato Lasagna. I, however, left out the tofu, made my own pasta sauce, threw in some nutritional yeast, and used Kamut spiral pasta instead of whole wheat lasagna noodles. I also used ground pistachios, nutritional yeast, and tamari for the topping, instead of cashews.

Good recipe, but I would definitely throw in some extra spices for a little added flavor. As Laury recommended, it does taste better the day after. Next time, I’m doing a combination recipe using Mama Pea’s Zucchini Quinoa Lasagna.

Next on the blog agenda is the celebrity meet and greet.

One of the local Whole Foods in my area hosts some great meetup.com groups, all having to do with whole food nutrition and healthy eating. Amy, the program director, is amazing, and knows her shit nutritional info. Anyway, this weekend’s meetup was a short seminar by my favorite vegan athlete, author, and vegan nutritional guru, Brendan Brazier.

Side note: Last year when I trained for my first marathon, I read this book cover to cover, about 50 times. It was my Bible. Great scientific information. This book would benefit anyone, from the athlete, to the always tired, to the busy mom, with lots of easy (alkalizing) recipes and tips.

Brendan gave a half hour talk about his past as an athlete, how he became interested in the nutrition side of fitness and exercise, his book and some key ideas in it, and his philosophy toward health and optimal performance and recovery. After he did a book signing, as we were given samples of various Vega products.

*Ahem* That's my name ;)

I chatted with Brendan for a few minutes, asked him a few questions, and found out that we both ran our first marathon in the Royal Victoria Full Marathon in Victoria, B.C. :)

Sadly, I was too chicken to ask for a picture of us, so all I have are the memories… and a signed book.

Then, weekend friend time came. I am lucky and blessed to have met a truly inspiring, energetic, driven, and healthy-food-lover: Anne. She’s pretty cool. We have hung out a few times, talking over Cafe Gratitude delicious eats, sipped green juices, talked fitness, and this weekend we hit the gym for a kettlebell ladder workout. Anne, my back is soooooo sore- thank you! She is an awesome personal trainer, yogi, and new business owner. We may or may not have made some raw, vegan chocolate almond butter macarons… mmmmmm.

Oh, and lastly, the best part of waking up is coffee in your cup are scones fresh from the oven. To clarify, these scones hot from the oven. Made from Twin Cakes Bakery dry scone mix, and sprinkled with tons of cinnamon.

The naked scone

Dressed with Tahini

And some date syrup

Cinnamon Scones with tahini and date syrup drizzle

Almost too pretty to eat. Almost.

What’s on your plate for Thanksgiving? Traveling to see family, friends? Are you making the food, helping with the meal? Is there some recipe you are famous for?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pssst! Pass it on...
Facebook Twitter Email Gmail Pinterest Delicious Stumbleupon Tumblr Digg

Hi everyone, I'm and this is my blog What Runs Lori.

Like it? Love it? Want some more of it? Subscribe now! You can also find me on Facebook and Twitter!

Contact Me!

Katie November 22, 2010 at 9:04 AM

Sounds like a great weekend! I had a good one as well. I went grocery shopping on Friday (yay!), and I also got a winter coat and boots. Saturday I saw the movie The Switch. HILARIOUS and cute. :) Yesterday I vegged, vegged, and vegged some more. Kinda lazy, but I did get an awesome workout in since I missed Friday’s workout. A nice weekend, I’d say. :)
.-= Katie´s last blog ..staying strong =-.

Anne November 22, 2010 at 9:31 AM

Oh Sweet Lord. That lasagna looks SO. GOOD! Can’t wait to read THRIVE – looks amazing! Oh… and there are macaroons in my fridge that are banging on the container lid, begging to be eaten. :)
.-= Anne´s last blog ..Thanksgiving Week =-.

Laury @thefitnessdish November 22, 2010 at 9:48 AM

I love your additions to the lasagna!! Looks great!!!

SO JEALOUS YOU MET BRENDAN!!!!!

Vega is my fav..and I LOVED THRIVE!

For Thanksgiving we are going to my Nona’s at 2:30 then Mikes family’s around 6. I am still planning on what I will make!!!
.-= Laury @thefitnessdish´s last blog ..Last Fling Before the Ring =-.

melissa November 22, 2010 at 9:56 AM

What an awesome weekend!!
That lasagna looks amazing..yum!!!
I hear Brendan and Vega…amazing products and the books are great too!
Lucky you that you got to meet him:)
And those scones…amazing!! I want to try date syrup one of these days
As I’m in Canada, we already had our Thanksgiving. Wish I could do it again though lol! Have a great day!
.-= melissa´s last blog ..Walls come tumbling down =-.

Christine November 22, 2010 at 11:01 AM

Oh mah gawd. Those scones look awesome.

My blondie and your scone should have sex and lots of babies. Or should at least be paired together with a steaming cup of coffee, first thing in the morning.
.-= Christine´s last blog ..Sweet Somethings =-.

Kristen (swanky dietitian) November 22, 2010 at 12:35 PM

First off, that lasagna you made looks delicious! I have never tried making a veggie lasagna before.
I love scones. I came across a recipe for pumpkin scones a while back but never got around to making them. Seeing your pictures inspires me!

Pure2raw twins November 22, 2010 at 12:56 PM

One busy and delicious weekend :) That lasagna looks killer = yum!!!

Love the scone with the tahini and date syrup -holy yum!!! Brendan is the greatest. I got to meet him when he came to our local Whole Foods, he was so nice!!!
And we are still planning out our Thanksgiving meal, we have a few ideas ;)

~Michelle
.-= Pure2raw twins´s last blog ..Gluten Free and Vegan Pumpkin Baked Cake Donuts =-.

Heather (Perspective Is Everything) November 22, 2010 at 1:25 PM

wow-what a fun,significant, and busy time you’ve been having!
i haven’t read the Engine 2 Diet book in so long. i should get it from the library again. great recipes in there.
which Hemp protein powder do you use? I got some a couple weeks ago and it was horrible. I’m pretty used to all sorts of protein powders and know not to expect too much-taste and texture-wise. but, this was inedible, and it made my tummy hurt really bad :(
.-= Heather (Perspective Is Everything)´s last blog ..Snowy in Seattle =-.

Katie November 22, 2010 at 2:05 PM

I still have to read that book….I keep meaning to buy it, but there are so so many books on my to read list. Sigh.

I’ve been eating a lot less meat lately too, and I seem to be feeling much better. MUCH better. But, all bets are off on thanksgiving.
.-= Katie´s last blog ..That’s some crap right there =-.

Ela November 22, 2010 at 2:35 PM

Sounds like a lovely weekend. I’ll be very interested to see how your scaling down on meat goes. I eat a ton of spirulina and chlorella – also hemp and pea protein powders, and they seem to work well for me. Love how your food is always so imaginative and varied.

I met Brendan Brazier at World Vegetarian Day in SF a few years ago. He’s such a nice, unassuming guy, and so generous. Glad you got to meet him too. And glad that you’re spending time at Cafe Gratitude. Price tag aside, I loved going there when I lived in the area.

.-= Ela´s last blog ..Back in AK- SAF Review- Natural History Museum =-.

Kelly Michelle November 22, 2010 at 3:05 PM

mmmmm can’t wait to see the lasagna recipe you come up with!

Amber Shea @Almost Vegan November 22, 2010 at 7:55 PM

Whaaa? You met Brendan?! That is too awesome! I was in awe of Thrive when I first read it too. My bf actually read it a couple months ago, and is still in a smoothie phase as a result!
.-= Amber Shea @Almost Vegan´s last blog ..Giveaway- Noodles &amp Company! =-.

Alisa Cooks November 23, 2010 at 8:23 AM

What an amazing weekend! I like Brendan’s book too.

Love the idea of using pistachios on lasagna, what an interesting flavor concept!
.-= Alisa Cooks´s last blog ..Decadent Dairy-Free Mint Truffles =-.

andrea devon November 23, 2010 at 8:50 AM

tahini and date syrup sounds like an amazing combination. i keep eyeing the date syrup at my little market, but have not yet purchased it. tahini i put on everything, so why not scones too?!? brilliant. i made cookies last year with tahini and pomegranate molasses- also an excellent, if excessively tart- combination
.-= andrea devon´s last blog ..cleaning house… part one! =-.

salah@myhealthiestlifestyle November 23, 2010 at 1:21 PM

sounds like such a great weekend!! I have been wanting to get that Engine 2 Diet…what do you think about it??
.-= salah@myhealthiestlifestyle´s last blog ..“I just like to smile- smiling’s my favorite” =-.

Becca November 24, 2010 at 7:38 AM

Those scones look delicious!

I love that book, it’s a really great read!
.-= Becca´s last blog ..WTF Is This!… And a Recipe Exchange! =-.

Monique November 24, 2010 at 7:42 AM

That lasagna sounds so amazing! And those scones?! Drooling over it :) Happy Thanksgiving!
.-= Monique´s last blog ..FINALLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! =-.

Michelle @ Housewife in the Raw November 24, 2010 at 8:21 AM

I would love to meet Brenden! What a cool experience. If only the Vega products were a bit cheaper.

This weekend I read Eating Animals (interesting timing with the holidays and all) and am going to give full-on vegetarianism a try. Should be interesting at the big family meal tomorrow…. :)