Nov
2010

My First (healthy) Thanksgiving

13 comments

It’s not that I’m super picky with food when it comes to family gatherings, since I’m not usually the one producing the meal. But one thing that has bothered me about Thanksgiving is that there are so many unneeded (in my opinion) high fat, high calories, and downright unhealthy ingredients used. Yes, this does enhance the flavor, and yes, when prepared all from scratch, go ahead and get your groove on, but if it’s was my healthy world, there would be some changes to the recipes.

This year I will not be doing the Thursday Thanksgiving meal with my family, and as sad as this is, I am given the chance to “redeem” my Thanksgiving meal (and my boyfriends.. mwahahaha. And some friends‘). (It should also be noted that I will be home on Friday… don’t worry Sister, I’ll be there all weekend to entertain you.)

What’s on the healthy table, you ask? (All pictures will be posted after they’re made… obviously. ;)   )

Anne‘s Gluten Free Thanksgiving Stuffing

B’s (Anne’s husband) Grandma’s Cranberry Sauce (vegan, no sugar added)

Sascha’s Thanksgiving Turkey

Vegan & Gluten Free Mushroom Laced Gravy

Raw Brussel Sprout Salad OR Cumin Roasted Brussel Sprouts

Mashed Sweet Potatoes

Pumpkin Garlic Knots (not gluten free but I’ll deal with it- they look amazing)

Vegan Pumpkin-Apple Pie OR Vegan Pumpkin Pie (still searching for the perfect recipe…)

Alisa’s Dairy-Free Mint Truffles

There will be wine. There may be some fun cocktails. And there will be delicious, healthy food. Just the way I like it. ;)

For much more inspiration AND pictures (and honestly, this is one of the most amazing posts I have ever seen…) check out Angela’s Thanksgiving spread. Oh She Glows has never looked so delicious!

Lastly, I’ll leave you with this little reminder of Thanksgiving joy. It’s also completely inappropriate and disgusting.

HAPPY ALMOST THANKSGIVING!

I know some of you have a pumpkin pie recipe that you LOVE… I want it (or should I say, would like to try it out for tomorrow, if you wouldn’t mind me borrowing it!)

What is your favorite part of Thanksgiving?

What’s the plan for your Thanksgiving Meal???

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pssst! Pass it on...
Facebook Twitter Email Gmail Pinterest Delicious Stumbleupon Tumblr Digg

Hi everyone, I'm and this is my blog What Runs Lori.

Like it? Love it? Want some more of it? Subscribe now! You can also find me on Facebook and Twitter!

Contact Me!

Alisa Cooks November 24, 2010 at 10:26 AM

I’m so excited that I made the T-Day Table!!

Okay, that is really revolting. Ewwwwww!!!!!

No idea what’s going down … we are going to some friends’ house and they have a duck!
.-= Alisa Cooks´s last blog ..Decadent Dairy-Free Mint Truffles =-.

Kristinefitness November 24, 2010 at 10:52 AM

Best part of thanksgiving is the family :)

Pure2raw twins November 24, 2010 at 1:43 PM

Thanksgiving’s best part is just being with loved ones and enjoying great food!!! And some wine ;)

We still have a few things to make before tomorrow, going to be a long few days here… but we love it!! xoxo

~Lori
.-= Pure2raw twins´s last blog ..Gluten Free and Vegan Pumpkin Baked Cake Donuts =-.

Katie November 24, 2010 at 1:57 PM

Those truffles…I know, right?

I actually hate pumpkin pie. I realize this puts me in the minority, but its a texture thing.

I love the turkey. Seriously, if all there was on the table was turkey, I’d be happy.
.-= Katie´s last blog ..Bite these =-.

Amber Shea @Almost Vegan November 24, 2010 at 3:20 PM

T-Day dinner just isn’t my thang (I’m a comfort food hater…) but I’m all about the pecan pie!
.-= Amber Shea @Almost Vegan´s last blog ..A BLISSful graduation gift =-.

Anne November 24, 2010 at 4:33 PM

Oo! The cranberry sauce is RAW! (forgot to mention that!) … also bringing a cooked orange + date cranberry sauce…
.-= Anne´s last blog ..Hummus and Quinoa Kale Wraps =-.

Michelle... November 24, 2010 at 5:48 PM

Honestly, my favorite part of Thanksgiving is the turkey. It’s usually only this one time of the year that I have awesome, freshly made turkey, so I really savor it, not to mention the turkey broth my mom makes every year after the meal! I love all the other dishes and definitely the pie, but the turkey itself is always my highlight.
.-= Michelle…´s last blog ..Angels and Demons =-.

Laury @thefitnessdish November 25, 2010 at 8:15 AM

I WANT TO COME TO YOUR THANKSGIVING!!!!

It sounds awesome!!!!

My fav part is always the dessert…but I ALWAYS bring something on the healthier side so I can indulge ;-)

Hope you have a wonderful dinner!!!
.-= Laury @thefitnessdish´s last blog ..What’s Up- Chuck =-.

Ela November 25, 2010 at 9:44 AM

Sounds like you’re getting the best of both worlds: beautiful, delicious food and then family time too. I’m looking forward to seeing how all of those things turn out. Yes, I’m blown away (and a little disgusted) by how heavy, and needlessly larded, ‘traditional’ style recipes are. When the main thing is so heavy, you’d think the sides could be a little light! I made green bean and mushroom casserole last Thanksgiving, kind of off the top of my head, gf and vegan: at Christmas someone else made it ‘properly’ – cans of mushroom msg soup, tons of cream and cheese – I was embarrassed and disgusted at the same time!

I only just got home last night: can’t wait to catch up my own blog, can barely keep it straight in my head, so much to write up. But we’re going to be with friends and family, and I’m working on salads and also probably a nut-milk-based ‘nog’ and a pecan pie.

Happy day!
.-= Ela´s last blog ..What Motivates You to Do Your Best Raw Chocolates in London Review- Should We Sample Everything in Pursuit of Our Writing =-.

Angela (the diet book junkie) November 25, 2010 at 2:14 PM

looks like a great menu! we don’t have thanksgiving in Oz, feel free to have an extra piece of vegan pumpkin pie for me! :)
.-= Angela (the diet book junkie)´s last blog ..i’m all for vanity sizing- but a double extra small is ridiculous =-.

salah@myhealthiestlifestyle November 27, 2010 at 3:57 PM

My favorite part of thanksgiving is getting to see my family and close friends :-) my favorite part of the meal is dessert and cranberry sauce….most def :-)
.-= salah@myhealthiestlifestyle´s last blog ..Happy Thanksgiving!! =-.

Heather (Perspective Is Everything) November 28, 2010 at 6:36 AM

love the picture of that turkey! ha! why are we so obsessed with poop i’ll never know :)
fave part of thanksgiving…….a couple days off and the sweet taters.
.-= Heather (Perspective Is Everything)´s last blog ..Uneventful Update =-.

Monique November 28, 2010 at 8:22 PM

Ha, that picture is so ridiculous!!
.-= Monique´s last blog ..FINALLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! =-.