Study Break

November 19, 2010

Friday, Friday, Friday. Oh how I love Friday’s. And *studying.

*Sarcasm is a huge part of life.

I’m cranking out the book pages, note cards, and study guides for my American College of Sports Medicine Certified Personal Trainer exam (yay!). Let’s just say that studying for extended periods of time is a little more challenging then I remember from my college days (way back in the 2003-2007 days- ha).

But since I’m on a mission to train others, working with my passion for exercise, I’m actually finding all the personal training information quite interesting. For example, based on the ACSM criteria, my Total (daily) Energy Expenditure (or TEE) is 2656 kcals. And damn, that is a lot of calories! (this is assuming daily exercise of at least an hour of continuous work) I’m pretty sure I am not getting nearly that many… but anyway…

Your TEE is great for seeing what your total caloric needs are, and is based on: the amount of energy needed to maintain the body’s needs at rest, the basal energy expenditure, expressed as the base metabolic rate (BMR) or Thermal Effects of Food (TEF), and the needs generated by the daily activity levels, which include employment, sport, and any other activities.

And I’m learning more in depth about anatomy, the skeletal and muscle structures and how they move and work, exercise programming (setting up workouts), injury prevention and correction, and the physiology and psychology behind exercise making behavioral change(s). And all this studying is making me hungry. With much needed study breaks, here is what I’ve been creating:

Fit Turkey Chili - gluten free, dairy free, low sodium- and just a bunch of random veggies mixed together

Roasted Squash...

...Filled with roasted greens (aka brussel sprouts and cauliflower)

...Topped with homemade red pepper hummus

...And smothered with a loaded green salad

Hello: World's Best Dish.

Edible bowl and all...

Scrambled, and seasoned, eggs... with Kabocha

Almost everything requires mustard (Dijon present) and baba ganoush

And that, ladies and ladies, and the occasional gentlemen, is eating. Lately, I have been so busy, my meals aren’t so creative, or time consuming, but tasty, nonetheless. And I’m eating so much squash, I’m surprised I’m not turning orange… or am I?

Lastly, I wanted to share something that kind of disturbed me. I will buy canned foods- tuna, beans, tomatoes, etc. But this is just wrong to me. Check out what’s canned on the left side of this picture…

Canned Hummus???????

What have you been eating (more of) lately?

What study tips do you use or suggest? How do you retain all the info you need to when studying?

P.S. Guess who I’m meeting tomorrow…Click Here.

katie November 24, 2010 at 4:27 AM

Ahh ive YET to stuff a squash!! I MUST do that VERY VERY SOON!
Ive been eating more of.. PUMPKIN!!! Story of every bloggers life 🙂 haha
.-= katie´s last blog ..Major Fail! =-.

Heather (Perspective Is Everything) November 22, 2010 at 6:27 AM

oh my gosh!! i HAVE to make that squash bowl SOON!!! all my fave foods in one dish. (except peanut butter, but i can let that slide this time!)
great dish!
.-= Heather (Perspective Is Everything)´s last blog ..Snowy in Seattle =-.

Ela November 21, 2010 at 10:20 AM

I’ve seen that canned hummus before and find it just as disturbing as you do! They have canned everything Mediterranean over in the States, and I’m sure none of it tastes like more than a pale shadow of the reality.

Loved the look of that stuffed squash. That kind of thing really appeals to me (too bad that squash usually hurts my tummy).

Your program sounds fascinating: I’m sure you’ll be a wonderful personal trainer, since you’ll be such a walker of your own talk and have so much enthusiasm to share.

Studying: I think that I need to find a way to get my own take on something and make it relevant in my world picture. But also to get the foundation down solid, without my own little flights of fantastical applications! So repetition for solidity, and lots of creative thinking and brainstorming too.

Great question! Great pics and food as always.
.-= Ela´s last blog ..Back in AK- SAF Review- Natural History Museum =-.

Pure2raw Twins November 20, 2010 at 8:39 AM

We have been eating lots of squashes too!! Love them 🙂

Canned hummus- sorry that just not sound appetizing to me 😉

For studying I am a person who has to write everything down, read it over and over, and say it aloud. Repetition is key for me to remember things!

Lauren @ WWoB November 20, 2010 at 7:28 AM

Oh my gah, canned hummus looks disgusting. WHY would you buy canned hummus when it is so easy to make? Or atleast buy it fresh!

Also – yay for fast metabolisms! Eat up!
.-= Lauren @ WWoB´s last blog ..Pumpkin Glazed Scallops and Caramelized Sweet Potato with Cinna-Pecan Cream =-.

Christine (The Raw Project) November 20, 2010 at 6:56 AM

Great eats with awesome pics! Canned hummus is pretty disturbing. I’ve been eating my weight in squash lately too and perhaps a little more orange because of it. Study tips are a tough one since it’s been years since my college days, I try to remove all distractions and come up with a list of study goals before starting the study session. Somehow the goals help me focus on the material more.

Kelly Michelle November 19, 2010 at 3:31 PM

canned hummus? That does seem wrong. Funny thing is I am opposite Katie who posted above. I tried that tahini in a can and didn’t like it at all. I LOVE Arrowhead mills (the one with the blue top) and go through quite a few jars. Plus I love that it is packaged in glass.

Katie November 19, 2010 at 2:07 PM

Scrambled eggs and steamed kabocha was my go-to breakfast for months. Literally. I ate it every. single. day. for at least 3 months. I think I might have to have some tonight for dinner. I tried to buy baba today, and the store was out. of both premade and eggplant. Annoyed.

I don’t know about canned hummus, but Joyva is my favorite tahini. I used to always get whatever that hippie brand was (its got a blue top…) but the joyva is so much creamier and real tasting. no salt needed!
.-= Katie´s last blog ..A story with potential =-.

Lori November 19, 2010 at 2:00 PM

@Melissa: I had the okra once (it was so expensive!!) and that was it. I want to try it again though… I feel all veggies need a second chance- although I usually like all of them right off the bat. 😉

Thanks for the study tips! I might just make a stack of note cards to bring with me places and study on any down-time. Don’t know anyone studying right now, but I am friends with a lot of trainers so I’ve been picking their brains on little questions I have. 🙂

melissa November 19, 2010 at 1:24 PM

I’m so excited for you about becoming a fitness trainer!! You will rock it!!
That squash bowl looks amazing!! Yum!
I’ve been eating a lot of okra…Katie got to me HAHA!
As for studying…I like drawing things out big or making cards that I carry around with me everywhere. Also if you know anyone else taking the course you could get together 🙂
Have a great weekend!!!
.-= melissa´s last blog ..Walls come tumbling down =-.

Kady November 19, 2010 at 12:05 PM

That squash meal looks so good! I love squash! Is that canned hummus over $5?! My goodness.

My tip for retaining info is to make up funny songs, pneumonics, anything goofy (the whackier the better). Writing things down in random places, like a sticky note on the bathroom mirror, or especially on your body, also helps a lot. My PT class has been known to draw all the muscles off the forearms on their forearms. It never hurts to check out YouTube to see if there’s an instructional video- I’ve found some helpful ones for Anatomy. Good luck!!!

Katie November 19, 2010 at 9:54 AM

I haven’t commented in so long! But, I have been reading. 🙂

Guess what?! I am probably going to be transferring next year and going to a college to major in Dietetics and hopefully get my RD license! Then, from that I hope to get my fitness training and licensing. I am taking MY path, not a path someone else has chosen for me, or persuaded me to take. It feels good.

I am eating a lot better now. More REAL foods and not so processed. Greek yogurt doesn’t make my stomach hurt either. SCORE!
.-= Katie´s last blog ..staying strong =-.