Arabic Eats

December 15, 2010

My boyfriend is half Arabic, half German. I eat well with either side of the family…

Let’s look at only one side today. πŸ˜‰

Clockwise from top right: (not really traditional Arabic but still delicious) Scrambled eggs and pulled pork, Fuul (my favorite!), and Labneh with spiced pepper, cayenne, and dried mint sprinkled on top.

Fuul is one of my favorite things to eat. It’s also incredibly easy to make. Canned fava beans heated with a little olive oil, salt, pepper, and lemon juice. Throw in some diced tomatoes, fresh pomegranate seeds, and lots of tahini and you’ve got yourself a hearty, healthy, fantastic breakfast.

This breakfast was from this last weekend. Mmmm. Made without power, too (but we cheated since we have a generator for such power-outage events).

This next Fuul breakfast comes from an Arabic restaurant in Los Angeles we went to during the summer. Still amazing tasting but nothing compares to homemade. (Taken with my old camera.)

Another version of Fuul

pickled veggies and hummus

Scrambled eggs with I don't know what else but they tasted fantastic.

Next up is dinner in the Samaan (boyfriend’s) extended family’s house.

Homemade (of course!) stuffed grape leaves, stuffed cabbage, and stuffed zucchini. Drizzled with labneh.

All made in a giant vessel, covered (with a heavy weighted object- no idea what’s it called) and steamed.

And that’s all the past pictures I could find of my Arabic eats, even though I eat it often. I love the tastes of Arabic dishes for the different spices, the cooking techniques, and the interesting ingredients that all make up a new experience of eating. Any “new” type of food is awesome. I love it all.

What “new” foods have you tried lately?

What are your favorite flavors of these different dishes?

Don’t forget to check out the Twelve Days of Holiday Eats, updated with a new recipe everyday!

katie December 17, 2010 at 8:26 PM

WOW what coooool food on here!! everything sounds so interesting!
.-= katie´s last blog ..So much LOVE! Snacky Snacky =-.

Christine December 17, 2010 at 4:12 PM

What the fuck!

Pardon my French.

But is your boyfriend my long-lost brother or something? Haha, so random! I’m half Arab half German too. I have NEVER met anyone else with that racial mix.
.-= Christine´s last blog ..Project- Snow =-.

kate December 17, 2010 at 3:55 AM

YUM! I am pretty much 100% german and I always feel like food from other cultures is so much more interesting than german food. i think food is the best way to explore a new culture!
.-= kate´s last blog ..Nonpareil Cookies =-.

Alisa Fleming December 16, 2010 at 6:21 PM

Okay, now I am soooo jealous! Both sides of my husband’s family are 100% English – blech! I love them dearly, but the food is so bland.

Honestly, I can’t even begin to imagine what those flavors are like Lori.
.-= Alisa Fleming´s last blog ..My Christmas Gift List … =-.

Ela December 16, 2010 at 10:14 AM

Similar ethnic background to myself! (Half English, half Israeli-originally-from Iraq)

Many of those dishes look so much like my grandmother’s cooking. I especially love the stuffed veggies. Really warms my heart to see! love
.-= Ela´s last blog ..CSN Giveaway Winner Announced! =-.

Lauren @ WWoB December 16, 2010 at 9:50 AM

This looks so bomb! You know I have an attachment to Arab things πŸ™‚ (Using that term loosely, of course)

I have got to make fuul. You have mentioned it more than once now and it is ridiculous that I have not had it yet. I do love labneh though!
.-= Lauren @ WWoB´s last blog ..Goat cheese- spinach- and caramelized onion stuffed sweet potato skins =-.

Amber Shea @Almost Vegan December 15, 2010 at 7:47 PM

Arabic and German? What a combo! Sounds pretty sexy ;P
So much of this food looks delicious!
.-= Amber Shea @Almost Vegan´s last blog ..105degrees- L2-W3-D1-2- fancy cheese platters =-.

Pure2raw twins December 15, 2010 at 4:38 PM

I have never had Arabic food before but it looks very tasty!!! I have had Lebanese food and loved it.

christina December 15, 2010 at 3:55 PM

SC needs to get with the program. We don’t have anything international except for Mexican and Thai. Ok and Italian and Chinese. But you know what I’m saying. A girl needs Arabic food from time to time. It looks yummy!

Katie December 15, 2010 at 12:17 PM

I’ve been really boring with food lately…nothing new and exciting. Sigh.

Maybe I’ll come over for dinner and try some Fuul because damn! It sounds GOOD.
.-= Katie´s last blog ..Last year =-.

Heather (Perspective Is Everything) December 15, 2010 at 11:45 AM

Middle eastern food is so awesome. 90% of the time it’s super good FOR you, too!
i love the bean aspect of the cuisine the best. there are so many kinds of beans, they all taste so different, and you can do so many things with them!

the newest thing i’ve had recently was a chickpea/tomato Indian dish πŸ™‚
.-= Heather (Perspective Is Everything)´s last blog ..Just Because =-.

Natalie @ cinnamon bums December 15, 2010 at 11:31 AM

lori! all this food looks so good! i love ethnic food, and i think it’s super cool that your boyf’s family still makes this food in very traditional cookware!!! i bet it’s way better than any ethnic restaurant.

melissa December 15, 2010 at 10:01 AM

I love tasting ethnic cuisine!!! I’m always introduced to new spices and new ways to encorporate them:)
fuul sounds really good!! Love me some pomegranates!
cabbage rolls yum!!! That’s the German coming out in me:)
.-= melissa´s last blog ..Excuses and hummus! =-.

Anne December 15, 2010 at 9:48 AM

Want the stuffed zucchini recipe! Lebanese Taverna on the east coast has *amazing* stuffed zucchini, labneh and fuul!!! … yum… Am now craving.
.-= Anne´s last blog ..Ending Emotional Eating =-.

kat December 15, 2010 at 9:40 AM

Mmm looks yummy!! I am actually really picky when it comes to food so I have never tried anything exotic. I really want to, I’m just afraid I won’t like it and then it’ll be a waste of money

Lindsay Cotter December 15, 2010 at 9:19 AM

my husband is from new zealand so we eat a lot of thai food and indian food. Kinda looks like that. I love it! Oh and I am half german. I would get along great with you and your bf. YUMMY!
.-= Lindsay Cotter´s last blog ..Wordless Weekend thus far…… =-.