The Refrigerator Escapades

December 1, 2010

Read this post with the theme song to the Nutcracker in your head. It helps with the effect… or just the title.

I have to admit, I’m not much of a recipe follower, as I have admitted before. I also have to admit that I browse the blog world in search of that one recipe that will be my dinner victim. Sometimes (actually most of the time), while on the hunt, I find a few too many recipe that spark my interest and then I can’t decide what to make. It’s a vicious circle but it’s one roundabout that I conquered last night.

Upon rummaging through the almost-empty refrigerator, and having quite a few different recipe ideas in my mind, I came up with a compilation dish using all the veggies I had left before grocery shopping day (whenever that will be).

But before I get to the goods, I’ll leave you with a list of recipes I found helpful in the making of this meal:

Upon taking stock of the fridge, here is what I came up with…

Kabocha Smashed Veggie Wrap with Sweet Gingered Mustard Sauce

Sauteed veggies:

• Broccoli
  • Cauliflower
  • Red bell pepper
  • Onions
  • Mushrooms
  • Snow peas

Spices that played along:

• 1/4 tsp turmeric
  • 1/4 tsp cumin
  • 1/4 tsp coriander
  • 1/4 tsp sea salt
  • dash of cinnamon
  • 1/2 lime, juiced (added right before serving)
  • 1/2 tsp maple syrup (added right before serving)
  • 2 tbsp raisins (added right before serving)

Baked/steamed kabocha: a dash of olive oil, 1/4 cup water, kabocha squash in a glass baking dish. Baked @ 400 degrees until tender.

Top a sprouted whole wheat tortilla with a few pieces of kabocha, smashing them down onto the tortilla.

Top the tortilla and squash with veggies.

And top all that with the Sweet Gingered Mustard sauce.

A little cracked pepper and EAT.

For the easy Sweet Gingered Mustard Sauce, meet the culprits.

• 1/4 cup Dijon musard
  • 1-2 tsp Maple or agave syrup
  • 1/8-1/4 tsp crushed ginger (with a garlic press)

Mix these items together and you are good to sauce your dish.

What Refrigerator Escapades have you been playing lately?

ginger tea medication January 4, 2015 at 12:08 AM

When someone writes an piece of writing he/she
keeps the plan of a user in his/her mind that how a user can be aware of
it. Thus that’s why this paragraph is great.

Thanks!

salah@myhealthiestlifestyle December 4, 2010 at 12:57 PM

I just bought some kabocha!! I cant wait to eat it!!!
.-= salah@myhealthiestlifestyle´s last blog ..You Know You’re a Foodie When… =-.

Hannah December 4, 2010 at 12:54 PM

Oooh, I love the sound – and simplicity – of your gingered mustard sauce! Definitely making a note of that 🙂
.-= Hannah´s last blog ..Single-Serving Maple Cornmeal Cake For My Blogiversary =-.

Pure2raw twins December 3, 2010 at 5:50 AM

YUM! I love all the spices in this dish 😉
I love browsing the blog world for recipes too, but when it comes to being in the kitchen I tend to forget about all the amazing recipes, and just throw something together. I need to get better at writing down or something.

Alisa Cooks December 2, 2010 at 7:28 AM

Okay, yum! Some mighty excellent recipe references too. I frequently find myself just throwing things together, which makes recipe creation very tricky!
.-= Alisa Cooks´s last blog ..Me A Speaker at the Fitness &amp Health Bloggers Conference =-.

Ela December 1, 2010 at 9:00 PM

Love that ‘spices that played along.’ The whole medley sounds yummy.

I do a similar dance – never follow a recipe but browse around looking for a ‘target.’ Not too much with my current food rut, although my nut milk/protein powder/blueberry smoothie in the mornings is still a hit.

.-= Ela´s last blog ..Happy Birthday to Phil =-.

kate December 1, 2010 at 4:52 PM

ha! i just got done cleaning the refrigerator. i hate jars that soooo close to empty and leftover bits of random food. a good cleaning was def in order.
.-= kate´s last blog ..New Month New Challenge =-.

Anne December 1, 2010 at 1:54 PM

That’s totally how the Twice “Baked” Sweet Protein Potato came to be! Rummaging around until I found a protein + carb + fat + green veg!
.-= Anne´s last blog ..Workout Playlists =-.

Katie December 1, 2010 at 12:28 PM

That meal has my name all. over. it. Except I hate ezekial tortillas. I think they taste like cardboard. I wish I liked them.
.-= Katie´s last blog ..D’oh nuts =-.

melissa December 1, 2010 at 9:32 AM

oh my this looks so amazing!!! I’m so going to make this with some gingered mustard sauce..yum!!
.-= melissa´s last blog .. =-.