After an extra long holiday weekend for me, I’m back and ready for blogging (and email checking- ug). Does anyone else get bombarded with emails during the weekend? I love getting email but checking them is not my forte.
Upon careful consideration of what my DIY meal would be, I took a South of the border approach and went with carne asada flare. Or should I say the boyfriend did, since he pretty much made the meal. But either way, I was there with the camera…
Let the chopping begin.
Homemade Quick-N-Easy Salsa
- 1 large can diced or crushed tomatoes (28 oz can)
- 1/2 cup cilantro, roughly chopped
- 1/4 cup green onions, chopped
- 3 cloves of garlic, crushed
- jalapenos, chopped, any amount
- salt and pepper to taste
- Spice to your liking: Sriracha sauce, red pepper flakes, cayenne pepper, etc.
Mix all together. Taste, adjust, and eat.
We gathered ingredients for the meat marinade.
Carne Asada Marinade
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1/2 cup white wine vinegar
- 1/3 cup lime or lemon juice
- 1/3 cup orange juice
- 1 cup water
- 2 tbsp fresh garlic
- 1 tbsp white pepper
- 1 tbsp cumin
- 1 tbsp oregano
- 1 tsp salt
- 3 tbsp chopped cilantro
Mix all ingredients together and marinate meat of choice for at least 1 hour. This recipe makes a lot, so we did cut the measurements in half. Time to cook.
Carne Asada done.
Sizzle… then starts the DIY assembly!
Mixed greens, salsa, tomatoes, mushrooms, goat cheese, cheddar cheese, cilantro, and some hot sauces.
Mmmmmm. Mmmmmm. Good.