Build-A-Meal

January 4, 2011

After an extra long holiday weekend for me, I’m back and ready for blogging (and email checking- ug). Does anyone else get bombarded with emails during the weekend? I love getting email but checking them is not my forte.

So, I hate being left out of the loop. And since it seemed like everyone was/is doing a Build-Your-Own-Dinner, I decided to take the opportunity to jump into the “in” crowd.

Upon careful consideration of what my DIY meal would be, I took a South of the border approach and went with carne asada flare. Or should I say the boyfriend did, since he pretty much made the meal. But either way, I was there with the camera…

Let the chopping begin.

(Hopefully) obviously not my hands...

Jalapeno Love.

Homemade Quick-N-Easy Salsa

• 1 large can diced or crushed tomatoes (28 oz can)
  • 1/2 cup cilantro, roughly chopped
  • 1/4 cup green onions, chopped
  • 3 cloves of garlic, crushed
  • jalapenos, chopped, any amount
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • Spice to your liking: Sriracha sauce, red pepper flakes, cayenne pepper, etc.

Mix all together. Taste, adjust, and eat.

We gathered ingredients for the meat marinade.

Carne Asada Marinade

• 1/3 cup olive oil
  • 1/2 cup white wine vinegar
  • 1/3 cup lime or lemon juice
  • 1/3 cup orange juice
  • 1 cup water
  • 2 tbsp fresh garlic
  • 1 tbsp white pepper
  • 1 tbsp cumin
  • 1 tbsp oregano
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 3 tbsp chopped cilantro

Mix all ingredients together and marinate meat of choice for at least 1 hour. This recipe makes a lot, so we did cut the measurements in half. Time to cook.

Carne Asada done.

Sizzle… then starts the DIY assembly!

Avo, I love you.

Mixed greens, salsa, tomatoes, mushrooms, goat cheese, cheddar cheese, cilantro, and some hot sauces.

My masterpiece of a salad. Don't worry, I've got all the ingredients in there, they're just hidden by the massive amounts of salsa. ๐Ÿ™‚

Boyfriend's Build-A-Taco

Mmmmmm. Mmmmmm. Good.

What’s your Build-A-Meal creation of choice? I’m thinking next time, it’s gotta be build-a-burger. I’m totally obsessed with this restaurant called, The Counter. Best. Burgers. EVER. And they only use fresh 100% natural angus beef, hormone and antibiotic free.

Katie January 5, 2011 at 8:16 PM

Carne asada…that’s what we needed. And I totally put raw mushrooms on my build your own burrito salad, while everyone mocked me and/or made funny faces and told me that they don’t belong. Silly midwesterners just didn’t get it.
.-= Katie´s last blog ..Sheโ€™s craftyโ€ฆ =-.

Alisa Fleming January 5, 2011 at 6:34 AM

Yum, yum, and more yum! Okay, I’m not dealing with bay area traffic, but I’ll let you come up this weekend and cook this for us ๐Ÿ™‚
.-= Alisa Fleming´s last blog ..Attune Ambassador =-.

kate January 5, 2011 at 3:22 AM

that looks super good! i would eat it and pretend i was somewhere warm. sigh.

we did a baked sweet potato bar not too long ago that was fun. bacon was one of the toppers so how could it not be good ๐Ÿ˜‰
.-= kate´s last blog ..Definitely Soup Weather =-.

christina January 4, 2011 at 7:27 PM

i’m not even a big meat eater, but that is a damn good recipe. nice job!
.-= christina´s last blog ..Sweet Potato Hummus x 2- Sweet &amp Spicy =-.

Lauren @ WWoB January 4, 2011 at 6:58 PM

hot damn delta gam that looks GOOD!
.-= Lauren @ WWoB´s last blog ..Feta cheese- please! =-.

Pure2raw twins January 4, 2011 at 4:58 PM

Now we all just need to make dinner together : )

I hate checking emails too. I hope to better with them this year…here is to hoping.

Ela January 4, 2011 at 4:52 PM

Great photography and sounds like such a fun way to share a meal. Our friends around here like to do build-your-own pizza (which you did once, I seem to recall) — not much for me in there though. My favorite would probably have to be a build your own smoothie!
.-= Ela´s last blog ..Catching Up-Orange Flan and Phils Eye- Lasik Warning =-.

Heather (Perspective Is Everything) January 4, 2011 at 4:08 PM

my hubby makes THE best salsa ever. he’s such a good cook……i’m the baker, he’s the cook.
fave build a meal=big old baked potatoes. toppings=salsa, bacon bits, broccoli, avocado, black beans, etc.
.-= Heather (Perspective Is Everything)´s last blog ..Music Monday =-.

Katie January 4, 2011 at 3:51 PM

yummy! I love build-your-own taco salads. Tonight I had a pretty basic dinner that could have been done in many different ways. I had cooked broc. slaw and spiralized zuke mixed with marinara, seasonings, and sliced grilled chicken. I also topped it with some freshly ground cheddar. Yum-o!
.-= Katie´s last blog ..Lately =-.

Laury @thefitnessdish January 4, 2011 at 2:13 PM

Awesome photos!!! Your new camera takes beautiful pics!! What are you shooting with? What settings? Oh, the salsa looks amazing too ๐Ÿ˜‰
.-= Laury @thefitnessdish´s last blog ..Oatmeal Acne Mask =-.

Christin@purplebirdblog January 4, 2011 at 2:03 PM

Whoa yeah! With the goat cheese and errything! You rock!
.-= Christin@purplebirdblog´s last blog ..French Press at my Fingertips =-.

Kat January 4, 2011 at 1:29 PM

Holy yum. That looks so dang good. I have yet to go to The Counter but have heard some great things about it! I had a build a meal for lunch and it was a tostada! Homemade wheat tortilla, black beans/kidney beans, corn, bell peppers, spinach, cilantro, avocado and salsa!
.-= Kat´s last blog ..And so it begins =-.

Anne January 4, 2011 at 12:56 PM

Oh Man! When I ate meat, I would DOMINATE me some carne asada! Today’s Build-A-Meal was tacos!!! Tequila sauteed veg, taco meat for the boy, avocado, spinach, veg refried beans… YUM!
.-= Anne´s last blog ..Diary of a Trainer =-.