The Bug and The Plant

January 17, 2011

Saturday morning, I visited San Francisco with my sister. We walked, talked, and ate. And oh my goodness, the weather was beautiful.

At The Plant, I sustained from the desserts but I did get a giant salad that cost as much as the breakfasts combined that you’ll see below.

My salad of chicken and tons of veggies

My sister's Greek salad

We hit up the farmers market at the Ferry Building, too. It was insanely crowded but worth battling the browsers.

Other than the food, I took no pictures. Ug. lol

Sunday I hit up the gym with my second month of Rachel Cosgrove’s exercise plan. Let’s just say the workout was intense and I think this is the best lifting routine ever. Seriously. But this post is about food so food will be shown… more on the workout later…

After my hour-long battle with weights, I met up with Anne for another round of farmers markets, this time in Campbell. But first, we needed some nourishment.

Aqui‘s has the best all organic, all natural Mexican food, at least for the price. There are vegan and vegetarian options, all homemade everything, and all their meats being local and organic.

I went with protein city with a breakfast of organic, whole-grain corn polenta, scrambled eggs, steamed veggies, and turkey sausage. It was delicious.

Anne went with a vegetarian option:

Breakfast polenta roll-up stuffed with veggies, eggs, and hearty corn polenta. And yes, all this food (both dishes and two cups o’ coffee) was the same price as my large salad, above, and a $3.50 small cup of coffee. Organic or not, geez.

Hmmm… let’s see, what else did I do this weekend?

Oh yeah, I helped chop wood at my house, since we heat the house with a wood burning stove, and found this guy (if you are squeamish, cover your eyes):

EW.

This thing was disgusting. And huge. Like at least 3 inches long with thick skin. And anyone who can identify the alien will get 10 points… and free cookies. Seriously. I’ll send you cookies. πŸ™‚ I’ve asked a (pretty freakin’ smart) biologist and my biology-majored sister and neither knew.

And I will leave you on this fabulous Monday morning that is a holiday that I am working with one of two presents Anne got me for Christmas. Present one, an apron. I love it! And for some reason, my baking lifestyle is lacking an apron. Perfect!

Yes, lovely.

Present two:

Cedar wood baking planks. How awesome are these?! I’ll be posting this dish tomorrow! Anne‘s the best present-giver ever.

Happy Monday!

Monday Questions:

Who knows what bug that is?!

What was the highlight of your weekend?

Ela January 19, 2011 at 1:53 PM

You guys, it’s a bark beetle larva. They’re pretty huge and impressive, but they’re kinda limp and innocuous too, and harmless (except to the wood that they gnaw on)–no need to get grossed out! I double checked with Phil (my husband), who’s a forester and woodsman/naturalist of the highest order, and he confirmed for me.

Cute apron!
.-= Ela´s last blog ..Guest Post on Bitt of Raw- Overcoming Restrictive Eating Patterns =-.

steph January 19, 2011 at 10:37 AM

Is that some sort of wood boring beetle larvae? Crazy – not an average model for a photo by any means. I hope those cookies don’t have some mystery ingredient….
.-= steph´s last blog ..Unexpected =-.

elissa January 18, 2011 at 11:23 AM

Love love love The Plant! There’s one right down the street from my work and I would eat there every single day, except, it’s about $12 a meal!! What the..?! Wish there was a better way to do healthy, organic meals for less… Great pics by the way!! πŸ™‚

melissa January 18, 2011 at 7:24 AM

LOVE the food..the restaurants you went to sound fabulous!
That bug is huge!!!
cedar wood baking planks…how cool are those!

PS the hubs and I are planning on taking a trip to cali in August…hopefully I can make it out your way:)
.-= melissa´s last blog ..Mantra =-.

kate January 18, 2011 at 3:11 AM

i love san fran! if i were to move from MN, i would definitely go there. your trip looks like great fun.
.-= kate´s last blog ..Blueberry Muffins =-.

Joanne January 18, 2011 at 2:41 AM

I’m loving all the farmer’s market hopping in this post. It’s seriously my kind of weekend.

Your breakfasts both look awesome! All that polenta…I think I’m going to have to recreate it.

Super cute apron! Fits you to a tee!
.-= Joanne´s last blog ..Cookie Dough Truffles =-.

Alisa Fleming January 17, 2011 at 7:50 PM

So you won’t talk workouts on a food post, but you include a giant, nasty alien-like monster? I don’t get your logic, but I’m going to scroll back up to look at the desserts now in hopes of forgetting that horrid image πŸ™‚
.-= Alisa Fleming´s last blog ..New Gluten-Free Recipe Index =-.

Pure2raw twins January 17, 2011 at 6:03 PM

ewww what was that, haha

I wish I could come back to San Francisco so I can hang out with you more than I got too!!!

Katie January 17, 2011 at 1:42 PM

Well, of course its a grub, guys, but what KIND of grub?!? That’s the question, right?

I wish I lived in SF!!
.-= Katie´s last blog ..Sugar free…for a week =-.

Katie January 17, 2011 at 1:39 PM

that food looks so delicious! the bug, ehh…not so much! =P

i want to go to san fran soooo bad. πŸ™
.-= Katie´s last blog ..4 things =-.

Christine (The Raw Project) January 17, 2011 at 12:39 PM

Aw, so jealous of your beautiful day in SF, it’s been gray and foggy here. Wonderful food pics, fabulous eats.

Lindsay Cotter January 17, 2011 at 12:28 PM

what is that thing? A slug/worm? haha. I impressed with THE PLANT. Everything looks amazing and so freakin fresh. I <3 San Fran!
.-= Lindsay Cotter´s last blog ..The Weekend Update =-.

Christin@purplebirdblog January 17, 2011 at 8:53 AM

It’s a grubby grub!!! Yikes!! Gives me the shivers a bit!
.-= Christin@purplebirdblog´s last blog ..Breakfast for Lunch and a Busted Dryer =-.

Anne January 17, 2011 at 8:45 AM

EWW! It’s a GRUB! GROSS! (like in the Lion King where Pumba digs one out of a tree stump for Simba. yes. I learned flora and fauna from Disney.)

Thanks for the introduction to Aqui! They are sure as heck going to get a chunk of my paycheck in the coming months…
.-= Anne´s last blog ..High-Energy- High-Quality Snacks =-.

christina January 17, 2011 at 8:44 AM

that pic of you is so cute!
.-= christina´s last blog ..Dialect Vlog! =-.

Kelly Michelle January 17, 2011 at 8:19 AM

ewwwwwwwwwww! SF looks like fun! I am going there for the first time in May and can’t wait!