The Shaken Sweet Potato

January 25, 2011

Smooth, creamy, frosty, and spiced. This shake has got to be one of the best combination of flavors in existence. Or at least for a morning treat.

For a tasty autumn treat in the middle of winter, I present to you, The Shaken Sweet Potato (it’s wellness in a glass)…

The breakdown:

The sweet potato

The ginger

The spices

The group

The drink

The Shaken Sweet Potato

• 1/2-1 cup cooked sweet potato or yam
  • 1/2-1 cup almond milk [or your favorite]
  • 1 scoop protein powder
  • 1 tsp maca powder [optional for an adrenal helper and energy booster]
  • 1/2 tsp cinnamon + 1/8 tsp pumpkin pie spice [or nutmeg]
  • 6 drops liquid Vanilla Creme Stevia [or sweetener of choice- honey would be amazing]
  • fresh ginger slices depending on your liking
  • Ice [lots of it]

Blend all and serve with a few shakes of cinnamon and a slice of digestive-aiding ginger.

Love in a glass? Oh, yes.

What is your spice of life? Obviously, mine is cinnamon and ginger right now. ๐Ÿ˜‰

kattyluv July 22, 2011 at 5:45 AM

In the summer it’s too hot to bake the sweet potato so i boil it the night before (with a tad of salt for flavor) and add the water to my shake with the potatos. Any comments on whether this is better or worse than baking the sweet potato? If i’m using the water that boiled than the vitamins/etc should still be in the water.

Hannah January 27, 2011 at 6:30 AM

Oh, man, does this ever look like a tall glass of heaven! I already had sweet potatoes on the grocery list, but now I should probably buy an extra pound or two!

Angela (the diet book junkie) January 27, 2011 at 12:16 AM

love in a glass is right, girl! looks delish! i’ve never tried maca powder, i’ll have to look into that!

Ela January 26, 2011 at 1:07 PM

Yummy! I just threw some yam in a smoothie myself a few days ago, but highlighting it this way sounds great.

Cinnamon/ginger/maca=awesome too. And I love cardamom maybe even more than them.

Michelle@ Housewife in the Raw January 26, 2011 at 3:25 AM

LOVE the pictures in this post. Nice work!
.-= Michelle@ Housewife in the Raw´s last blog ..What I Ate โ€“ Mondayโ€™s Menu =-.

Monique January 25, 2011 at 8:07 PM

OMG! That sounds really good! I had my first sweet potato pie and it amazed me how similar to pumpkin it was. I feel like anything that’s good with pumpkin could easily be the same with sweet potatoes ๐Ÿ™‚
.-= Monique´s last blog ..Ginger Basil Salmon with Garlic Roasted Broccoli &amp Peppers =-.

Kelly Michelle January 25, 2011 at 5:21 PM

I NEED to try this!

Laury @thefitnessdish January 25, 2011 at 5:19 PM

WHATTT!!!???? A sweet potato smoothie!!! You are adventurous, girl. I LOVE it! Looks so frothy and delicious!
.-= Laury @thefitnessdish´s last blog ..Hey- Big Tuna =-.

Pure2raw twins January 25, 2011 at 4:52 PM

Your pictures look amazing!!!!!! And this shake sounds wonderful, I must make it next time I get me some sweet potatoes ๐Ÿ™‚

salah@myhealthiestlifestyle January 25, 2011 at 3:57 PM

omg that shake sounds amazing!!!!
.-= salah@myhealthiestlifestyle´s last blog ..Guest Post- Heatherโ€™s Dish – aka Big Scissor =-.

melissa January 25, 2011 at 12:40 PM

oh my…seriously love in a glass..yum!!

Kelsey @ Snacking Squirrel January 25, 2011 at 10:37 AM

NOW THIS i have to try! i love those purple yams (thats what they’re called here i believe).. they have a really like heartiness to them/density…and are quite sweet but more savory than the regular orange variety. this looks fantastic, and you’d never think there would be sweet potato in there otherwise. wohoo we have the same vanilla stevia liquid, mmm its SO GOOD!

xoxo <3

Susan (Oliepants) January 25, 2011 at 10:31 AM

Your pictures are incredible! I have to say cardamom has been on my mind a lot lately!
.-= Susan (Oliepants)´s last blog ..What Weekend =-.

yo yo mama January 25, 2011 at 10:21 AM

excellent pictures!

Heather (Perspective Is Everything) January 25, 2011 at 9:58 AM

Wow! That looks like a super filling shake! And super tasty, too. I have at LEAST 2 tbsp of cinnamon a day and try to get in as much ginger as possible.
I’m also a big fan of cayenne and mustard.
.-= Heather (Perspective Is Everything)´s last blog ..The books the cat attacked =-.

Christine (The Raw Project) January 25, 2011 at 9:08 AM

This looks wonderful, love the idea of blending sweet potatoes. I’m on a huge ginger kick too and cinnamon is always good. Curry is another fave spice.

Lindsay Cotter January 25, 2011 at 8:29 AM

I thought I was the only one that makes sweet potato protein shakes. Girl, we are one in the same!
Awesome.
LC
.-= Lindsay Cotter´s last blog ..Spice my Life =-.

Christin@purplebirdblog January 25, 2011 at 8:29 AM

Ohhhhh yes, sweet potato smoothies rule so very hard!! I love the spicy sound of this!
.-= Christin@purplebirdblog´s last blog ..Brown Rice Farina =-.

Katie January 25, 2011 at 6:49 AM

You’re getting so creative with the protein shakes, miss Lori! ๐Ÿ™‚
.-= Katie´s last blog ..i rule at breakfast =-.