Trenta: Just DON’T Do It

January 20, 2011

*Updated Below*

Is anyone else disgusted by this?

Starbucks’ New ‘Trenta’ Cup: The Unhealthy Details

Starbucks is coming out with a new cup size! Now you can drink your liquid crack (most of the time LOADED with ungodly amounts of sugar) in mass quantities without refilling your cup.

The Trenta holds a whopping 31 ounces, or nearly a quart of liquid (uh, or my Sigg bottle)… I’m sorry, when did this become acceptable? The only reason anyone should order this is to feel a small family starving from lack of caffeine.

My rant is done for the day.

Thoughts anyone?

*Updated 1/21: Wonderful blogger, Zoe, filled me in on the real story of the Trenta. This large container will only be sold with iced coffee or teas, not supersized triple-shot pumpkin spiced cinnamon dulce peppermint whatever. 😉 (sounds kinda good, right? right?) So, I guess that’s better…sort of… and this way you won’t have to worry about your coffee getting cold before you finish it. And lastly, that size probably don’t even contain a fraction of the calories it could. Sorry Starbucks! My mistake. Just don’t make me have to repeat this post when you want to fill this monster with milky beverages.

Thanks, Zoe!

zoe (and the beatles) January 21, 2011 at 9:24 AM

no worries, lori! we’re only allowed to use the trenta for iced coffee and iced teas. it doesn’t even ring up if we try to ring up a frappacinno! still, i don’t think anyone needs that much of any drink outside of water. at work (yes, i work at starbucks…) we joke we’re turning into 7-11. but no, no trenta frappacinos or white mochas will be made.
.-= zoe (and the beatles)´s last blog ..love your body truly =-.

steph January 21, 2011 at 9:07 AM

ugh sbux – just didn’t have the same appeal as it used to have – even the coffee tastes different – and instant coffee is still instant coffee. illy’s all the way (espresso and coffee).
.-= steph´s last blog ..Unexpected =-.

heather January 21, 2011 at 8:50 AM

dang. that is ginormous. while i drink that much before noon, i can’t see spending the money for a trenta when no doubt it would get cold before i could finish it all anyway.
seems kinda silly to me.

melissa January 21, 2011 at 8:40 AM

I didnt believe it when I heard it!! That’s insane!!
I worked at Sbux when I was younger and I saw the ingredients in everything…hello HFCS!!!

I would only order the trenta for my tea..but yet again I have my own mug so probably not!
.-= melissa´s last blog ..Gentle Barn =-.

Christine January 21, 2011 at 3:36 AM

Oh. My. God.

I know this wasn’t the purpose of your rant, but I am absolutely obsessed with coffee, and this actually brightened my day.

I wouldn’t use a Trenta cup for a frappucinno…but for regular coffee, it would save me a couple trips on a busy work day, haha!
.-= Christine´s last blog ..Please Read This Before Following My Blog Any Further =-.

Ela January 20, 2011 at 10:23 PM

Gosh that’s crazy! Thanks for keeping me in touch with that insane outside world… My husband probably drinks that much coffee, but I wish he didn’t. And I can’t even drink a cup: it knocks my adrenals out instantly. So what’s going on with everyone else’s adrenals knocking that stuff back?

Ok–didn’t mean to butt in on your rant…
.-= Ela´s last blog ..Transforming The Bad and The Ugly- Transforming Regret =-.

Jessica January 20, 2011 at 9:42 PM

I just heard about this the other day and I’m totally against it. Nobody needs that much beverage. Is Starbucks trying to compete with 7/11’s Big Gulp?

Laury @TheFitnessDish January 20, 2011 at 6:42 PM

I heard something about this earlier…but didn’t really pick up the details. YIKES! like people really need a 31 ounce latte!!??? REALLY, Starbucks???? No, REALLY????
.-= Laury @TheFitnessDish´s last blog ..Markets- Bandz &amp Baby Gadgets =-.

Pure2raw twins January 20, 2011 at 4:26 PM

omg I heard about this, but thought it could not be true!!! YIKES!!!

april January 20, 2011 at 12:42 PM

Iyiyi.. I think I would probably go into a-fib or something! LOL. I can drink 1 cup of coffee (and not strong coffee) a day.. more and I get shaky!

Katie January 20, 2011 at 12:27 PM

Not to be all pro-Starbucks here, but I easily drink 31 ounces of coffee in a morning. There’s not sugar, foamed whole milk, and flavorings in it though. And its far cheaper….but still. Don’t hate on the coffee itself. 🙂
.-= Katie´s last blog ..One-upping Trader Joe’s Red Pepper Spread Alternate title- How NOT to roast eggplant =-.

salah@myhealthiestlifestyle January 20, 2011 at 12:17 PM

omg!!!!!! 31 ounces???????? That is ridiculous!!
.-= salah@myhealthiestlifestyle´s last blog ..Guest Post- Heather’s Dish – aka Big Scissor =-.

Katie January 20, 2011 at 12:13 PM

My thought: wow, starbucks, you’re turning into mcdonald’s quicker than i thought. all over the world, and now super sizing. yay.
.-= Katie´s last blog ..overwhelmed =-.

Christin@purplebirdblog January 20, 2011 at 11:58 AM

It’s disturbing, but I also have to offer the opinion that if people didn’t buy this shiz they wouldn’t offer it.
.-= Christin@purplebirdblog´s last blog ..Lemony Miso Tilapia and a New Kale Chip =-.

Christine (The Raw Project) January 20, 2011 at 11:47 AM

I saw that on CalorieLab and that it holds more liquid than the average human stomach – crazy. No thanks, I’m too cheap for Starbucks anyway. 😛 I know co-workers that would suck that up though.

Lindsay Cotter January 20, 2011 at 11:32 AM

oh good, so now that venti frappacino can be 1300 calories and not 900. Smart! (please sense my sarcasm here).
Rant on lori!
.-= Lindsay Cotter´s last blog ..The Weekend Update =-.