A February Summer

February 7, 2011

I’m going to go ahead and apologize right now for what I’m about to write about. Nope, it has nothing to do with any enthusiasm for Green (but I did watch).

Now, I know that most of the country is under seige with Winter’s ugly head. Being bombarded with snow storms and cold weather. This is just not the case in California. In fact, it’s complete the opposite.. It’s like summer here and I’m not going to lie, I LOVE IT.

So, while half of the people reading this are going to hate me for rubbing it in enjoy the completely unseasonable weather, I just had to write about my weekend. I mean, wouldn’t you?

Point Lobos State Natural Reserve in California’s Monterey County. More reason to make sure we save our state parks, right? I mean, it’s just downright beautiful.

This was the first time I have been to this particular area, why, I’m not sure since it’s only an hour and a half away from me, but it was truly amazing.  Pictures do this scenery no justice whatsoever. It was more than beautiful with the crystal clear blue water and crisp air.

The 3.5 hours of nonstop hiking along the water’s cliffs was incredible. Pair that with the fact that it was probably around 78 degrees, and you’ve got yourself a hike of a lifetime.

The photo opportunities here are incredible. That being said, I want to share some of the pictures I took, sparing you all 200+.

I even found lunch! Just kidding (sort of- I love seaweeds…). We definitely needed to refuel after a few hours of hiking.

Food! Did you really think I wouldn’t be showing you my food?

I really think I might suffer from Seasonal Affective Disorder. Now that the sun is out, I’m in a much more productive, happier, carefree mood. Anyone else feel the same way?

Oh, what is that on my arm?? You’ll find out tomorrow (hint: COOLEST. Gadget. Ever.)

What is special about the area you live?

What do you love most about your city?

Giveaway? Have you entered it yet?

Alisa Fleming February 8, 2011 at 6:20 AM

Um, yeah, you seriously have no excuse for not walking now 🙂

Beautiful pictures! Right now, I’m not loving our area as we have that warmish (but too cold and windy to do much) weather and a serious lack of snow! But walking has been nice as the ice melts.

Heather (Perspective Is Everything) February 8, 2011 at 5:51 AM

wow-wow-wow. beautiful pics, lori. i would LOVE to go on a hike like that!
lookin’ supa buff, girl 🙂

special thing about where i live?
now that i live in seattle, i’m spared that wicked cold in wisconsin. don’t miss it. i like seeing the mountains on a clear day and knowing the ocean is right nearby 🙂

i don’t really love Seattle. that may come in time, but i’m just not a city girl.

kate February 8, 2011 at 3:29 AM

lovely pics! right now the best part of st paul is the fact that it is light out until 5:45. spring has got to be coming soon!

Katie February 8, 2011 at 2:34 AM

you got a flipping body bug!!! tell us all about it! do your maintenance cals mtch up to what you thought they were before?

beautiful beaches! i want to visit you this summer! 🙂 more on that later 😉

Nicole @ Of Cookies & Carrots February 8, 2011 at 1:11 AM

I’m also in norcal… Santa Clara to be more precise 😉 I was in Monterey a few weekends ago with my family but not on a day quite as marvelous as that! I have, however, been loooving the 70+ degree weather… I love sun 🙂

beautiful pics!!!

Laury @thefitnessdish February 7, 2011 at 7:05 PM

Thank you for making me hate you. Just kidding. However, I am super jealous. I am at that point in the winter where I am getting S.A.D. and S-I-C-K of looking at S-N-O-W. Your pics are gorgeous. I want to live there. And your guns make me double as jealous. That’s all.

Joanne February 7, 2011 at 5:34 PM

Not gonna lie. I’m jealous. Not just a little. But an obscene amount. I just need to keep telling myself that running outside in 30 degree weather is really just going to make me a stronger person. Someday.

Mandi February 7, 2011 at 4:46 PM

Your pictures are all so beautiful! It looks like you had a wonderful weekend. 🙂 Luckily I live in Hawaii and don’t have to get too jealous of that lovely weather. And I can definitely relate to feeling so much happier when it’s warm, bright and sunny out.

Ela February 7, 2011 at 2:34 PM

You’re welcome to rub it in! I’m on a slow connection and can’t see the photos, but I can imagine, I’ve been there. I love to read about that area–I loved living there!

I love the wildness where I live, and the small, friendly population of eclectic people. Oh, and the beauty!

Kelly Michelle February 7, 2011 at 2:33 PM

luckily I live in Miami so I don’t have to be jealous of your beautiful weather. However, I must admit I am jealous of your super amazing muscles 🙂

Pure2raw twins February 7, 2011 at 2:19 PM

SO JEALOUS!!!! I want to move in with you now!!! Love all the pictures, I felt like I was right there with you 🙂 xoxo

Olivia February 7, 2011 at 12:53 PM

Oh what pretty water picks! You look super toned btw:)

Amber Shea @Almost Vegan February 7, 2011 at 11:25 AM

Beautiful! I hope the weather’s great there next week too… 😀

Ok, besides what’s ON your arm (bodybugg, it looks like?) check out YOUR ARM itself! Hot damn! Someone’s got tickets to the gun show… ;P

Katie February 7, 2011 at 10:54 AM

Its gorgeous here too! Not like that, but better than most of the country. Its going to be 8 degrees in Wisco on Wed though….eeekk!
those sandwiches look amazing right now.

zoe (and the beatles) February 7, 2011 at 10:05 AM

ohmygod this weekend was BEAUTIFUL right?!?! i wore shorts and a t-shirt all day AND night. i was like, really? really right now? this is february? kind of ridiculous. but i’ll take it over rain, cold, and grey skies any day! i, too, am feeling SO much better now that the sun is out. i feel happier, more energized, and way more productive. winter makes me a sad sack for sure. i was just in monterey a few weeks ago — GORGEOUS! i bet it was amazing this weekend, too! your arms look bangin’ girl :)!

dd (the lady lifts) February 7, 2011 at 9:41 AM

Rub it in baby, rub it in. I feel warm just looking at your photos. I’m on the west coast too (Vancouver) but we’ve been dredged with rain as per usual.

By the way…woman, you are buff! you look amazing. 🙂

kat February 7, 2011 at 9:39 AM

Love the fact your flexing while showing off your cool toy. Can’t wait to hear all about it!
P.s. My hubby squeezed my arm muscles last night jokingly and said “holy crap kate, that’s pretty good” I may have squealed with joy

Christin@purplebirdblog February 7, 2011 at 9:36 AM

Um, you look like such a badass. Love those arms girl! 🙂

And yeah, these photos are to die for. The first time I ever saw pictures (from friends who live in Cali) of those shallow pools with all the gorgeous shells and sea life, I was beside myself.

I TOTALLY get demotivated and blah when it’s gray outside.

That’s it. I’m packing my things, and I’ll see you in a little while. 😉