Decadent Double Chocolate [beets hidden in the] Cake

Give me a T!

T

And give me an S!

S

What does that spell?!?!

BEETS!!!

And what the hell are beets doing in this double chocolate decadent luscious rich and glutenfreeamazingness cake? I think they’re adding to the goodness. That’s what they’re doing there.

Double Chocolate Beet Cake

[just try it]

Recipe adapted from here, original recipe here. Everything is measured in weight. Makes A LOT of cake.

• 85 g dark chocolate (use Enjoy Life‘s brand for vegan and gluten free carob chips, try not to eat all of them..)
  • 3 medium eggs
  • 150 g sugar and 150 g NuNatural’s Baking Blend (or 300 g sugar)
  • 100 ml vegetable oil
  • 1 medium banana
  • 300 g cooked beets*
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 30 g unsweetened cocoa powder
  • 200 g gluten free flour mix
  • 1 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 tsp xanthan gum
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt

*To cook beets: wrap in tin foil with 2 tbsp water- baked at 425 until tender. Blend the beets in a blender or food processor to puree. Keep the red beet “water” for Red Velvet Oats or just making food colors more fun. 😉

Pre heat oven to 350 degrees.

Melt the chocolate over a double boiler. In a separate bowl, whisk together the eggs, sugar and oil. Add the cooked beet puree , the melted chocolate and vanilla into the egg mixture. Beat just untill combined.

Sift the cocoa, flour, baking soda, gum, and salt. Add this to the beet batter. Fold just until everything is combined.

Grease a 10 inch cake pan, pouring the cake batter and spreading uniformly. Bake for about 30-45 minutes (mine took almost 50 minutes in a glass Pyrex), or until the toothpick test comes out clean.

While the cake is baking, take your leftover Vodka Induced/Infused Fudge and melt it in a double broiler, like with the chocolate for the cake. Add in 3 tbsp coconut milk creamer or full fat coconut milk. Whisk until it forms a smooth sauce. Alternately, use the original chocolate ganache frosting.

When the cake is done, (try to) let it cool before pouring the warm chocolate frosting on top.

Oolala. And tell me after looking at this recipe (and cake picture) you wouldn’t try this one either.

The fudgy frosting on this guy is the none other than the Vodka Induced Fudge melted with coconut milk. Now tell me that’s not wonderfulness? (note: my vodka is induced- the persuaded… The original recipe was for infused fudge… I was just trying to be different…)

Melty goodness or just an excuse for more photos?

Veggies in dessert? Feelings? Recipes? 😉

What else could beets be added to?

Heather @ kissmybroccoli February 27, 2011 at 1:41 PM

I love this! I am totally drooling! I like baking with avocado! It makes things so moist (ugh, had to say it) and buttery tasting!

Angela (the diet book junkie) February 27, 2011 at 1:53 AM

to tell you the truth, i’ve never been a fan of beets but looking at this recipe and i could totally be converted. extra ganache, yes please. :)(p.s. i’ve never tried vegan chocolate or carob, does it taste the same as the original stuff?)

Jenn L @ Peas and Crayons February 26, 2011 at 5:02 PM

you crack me up =)

ok so as much as i loved these sliders — totally loved the behind the scenes photo of your overstuffed light box! <3 I need more lighting for mine — your pix are waaaaay better and i'm a little stinkin' jealous =)

mwah!

april February 25, 2011 at 7:49 AM

I love beets and I love chocolate..so this sounds pretty amazing to me!

Alisa Fleming February 24, 2011 at 9:02 PM

Mmm, looks scrumptious lady! Why don’t you come up and bake for us this weekend 🙂

Christin@purplebirdblog February 24, 2011 at 5:22 PM

I’ll be waiting for my piece to arrive via carrier pigeon… he’d better be careful not to mess up the perfect icing!

christina February 24, 2011 at 5:10 PM

wowwweeee this made me so hungry

zoe (and the beatles) February 24, 2011 at 1:23 PM

veggies in dessert = awesome. always! it’s so much fun seeing what you can sneak in there and tell people after-the-fact. sneaky veggie monster that i am would enjoy that 😉

Pure2raw Twins February 24, 2011 at 1:03 PM

I am coming over right now!!! YUM I love putting veggies into desserts, I think it is a great way to get more 😉

Helene February 24, 2011 at 12:01 PM

That looks SOOO amazing! Isn’t So Delicious coconut milk creamer wonderful? The French vanilla flavor is divine! And veggies in cake? Sounds like a guilt-free indulgence to me!

Stefanie @TheNewHealthy February 24, 2011 at 11:47 AM

This looks so good!! Veggies in a dessert? I can’t say I’ve ever tried it–but the more veggies in my life, the better! This looks like the perfect way to give it a shot. 🙂

Jenn L @ Peas and Crayons February 24, 2011 at 11:28 AM

I can’t bake to save my liiiiife! I want to try this so flipping bad though! Maybe I could talk someone into making it for me! It looks to diiiie for <3

Mandi February 24, 2011 at 11:14 AM

That looks sooo delicious! I love beets but have never tried them in a cake, which will have to change. Very soon. 🙂

salah@myhealthiestlifestyle February 24, 2011 at 10:38 AM

oh man….this is a great idea….amazing!!!!

Anne February 24, 2011 at 10:03 AM

my cheat meal is tomorrow night… can i have a piece of cake for dessert?

chrysta February 24, 2011 at 7:25 AM

OMG! Awesome! I love the idea of beets in chocolate! I think veggies in baked goods tastes great. Chocolate has strong a strong flavor the veggies just add more to the texture. Great recipe! ha..maybe we could combine recipes to make a chocolate beet pancake! haha! Seriously though, I cant wait to try this out…love it!!!

alyssa - fashion fitness foodie February 24, 2011 at 7:12 AM

I want to try that!! I ‘ve never had beets though so i am kind of nervous… But you made this look ah.maze.ing.

Lindsay Cotter February 24, 2011 at 7:05 AM

veggies in desserts are genius! Beets are even more genius. But i knew you were already brilliant!
😉

Katie February 24, 2011 at 6:36 AM

Dude, you are my new hero.

Kayla (Little Miss Healthify) February 24, 2011 at 6:15 AM

This looks SOOO yummy, I can NOT believe there are beets in it!! I bet you can’t taste them, you could fool anyone! hehehehe, awesome.

Ernie February 24, 2011 at 6:04 AM

Little disappointed you didn’t bring in a sample to your fellow am workout clan!! Oh well … Maybe next time!

christina February 24, 2011 at 5:32 AM

i can’t beleive there are beets in there. that is awesome.

nelly February 24, 2011 at 5:24 AM

that looks spectacular…

i am not sure what the heck is wrong with me…but i can’t get over any sort of legume or veggie in my desserts!!! like black bean brownies…the brownies look mouthwatering, but i just can’t wrap my head around it…haha!!!!

but whoa nelly…that chocolate cake…almost has me converted…i want to try it so badly!!!

=)

you’re awesome!

Kat February 24, 2011 at 5:19 AM

ummm wow. I wish my birthday wouldn’t have passed already, because I totally would have made this for myself! Haha