An Honoring Dish

March 22, 2011

This weekend I decided to join Lindsay at Cotter Crunch in eating in honor of the Japanese. With all that the people living in Japan are going through right now, they need every bit of positive energy flowing to them, in any way it can.

My boyfriend, many, many months ago, made homemade dashi and we just happened to find it in the freezer, waiting to be made into a soup.

Sans a recipe, I’ve got you covered on what’s going on in this bowl:

• Dashi broth (is it called broth??)
  • tofu noodles (you could use any kind of noodle)
  • mung sprouts
  • poached egg
  • shrimp
  • fresh basil
  • dash of soy sauce

Clean, filling, simple, and nourishing… definitely worth eating to honor those in need.

I was also awarded the “One Lovely Blogger” award by two wonderful bloggies. Pure2Raw and Ulterior Harmony were kind enough to bestow this award and I’ll be kind enough to pass it along as well.

Here’s what to do with the award:

• You link and thank the blogger who awarded you
  • Copy-and-paste (or download and upload) the award into your own blog post–a teacup of roses!
  • Share Seven Things about yourself
  • Nominate up to fifteen other great bloggers
  • Comment on their blogs to let them know to come pick up their prize

So here are 7 things about Lori:

1. The second I get home (from anywhere) I jump into pajamas. Warm, comfy, I could live in sweat pants.
  2. I tend to get obsessed with things: Ketchup, mustard, kabocha, whateverexerciseI’mdoingatthemoment, mustard, taking photos of my foods. I guess I have an addictive personality…?
  3. I love making food for other people. Healthy or fattening, I love it. It’s my way of saying, “Thank you,” “I love you,” “Tell me what you think!” all at once.
  4. I make a MEAN grilled cheese… full of fat and loaded with love. πŸ˜‰
  5. Some of my best friends are bloggers I have never met. And I wouldn’t change that for anything (well, except I’d meet you…).
  6. I have wanted to attend Living Light Culinary School for forever… seriously. This would be my dream. Someday…*sigh*
  7. My boyfriend’s birthday in next Wednesday (the 30th), what should I get him?! (But be discrete ’cause he reads the blog)

It’s your turn! My 7 award winners (in no particular order):

1. Alisa Cooks
  2. Making Food And Other Stuff
  3. Cotter Crunch
  4. Zoe & The Beatles
  5. Purple Bird Blog
  6. Mangiare Buono, Vivere Bello
  7. Squat Like A Lady

Um… what else, what else…? Oh, we had some fun rain storms this weekend. Wanna see the newest addition to our yard?

Say hello to our fallen tree. Thank goodness it didn’t fall on the fence.

Nothin’ else exciting in the world of Lori… tomorrow we’ll be playing another round of Skinny Wednesday and a giveaway later on this week! Get ready… πŸ˜‰

Christin@purplebirdblog March 26, 2011 at 7:11 PM

Hellooooo dashi… looks so good! And thanks for the award shout out… sorry it took me so long to see it! πŸ˜‰

Anne March 24, 2011 at 6:02 PM

currentlyobsessed with : brown rice cakes. trader joe’s bruschetta topping. combining the two. naps. seeingLorithisweekenddamnit!

zoe (and the beatles) March 23, 2011 at 2:14 PM

ah! why am i just seeing this now! where have i been? you’re so sweet, thanks :)!

by the way, i LOVE mustard…no one else ever seems to! glad i’ve found a mustard partner in crimmeee πŸ˜‰

Lauren March 23, 2011 at 1:40 AM

Funny, I had Japanese this week. It felt strange to eat given what’s going on. I thought, we probably wouldn’t eat food coming from Japan right now but eating Japanese food is ok, maybe even good.

Monique March 22, 2011 at 7:09 PM

This is a neat idea. I’ve been making lots of Japanese food lately, unintentionally. I feel like I really want to do something for Japan, but have no idea where to start. This may be a good leaping point….!

Ela March 22, 2011 at 5:48 PM

Thanks for sharing your seven! I love these opportunities to get to know one another better.

Great idea on the Japanese honoring.
Sounds like you should make your boyfriend something delectable, since that’s what you do, as well as something else…what does he really love and appreciate?

alyssa - fashion fitness foodie March 22, 2011 at 4:35 PM

#3 is so me!!
I love japanese food πŸ™‚ i’ve never made any “authentic” japanese dishes though!

Pure2raw Twins March 22, 2011 at 2:04 PM

Great job with the Japanese inspired meal, brilliant! And we have an addicting personality about things too πŸ™‚ And we live in PJ’s inspired outfits as well! I will have to think of a gift for the BF, though I am not really good at thinking of good ideas, LOL

Lindsay Cotter March 22, 2011 at 11:50 AM

Oh i got this award from them too. Eek, I need to get on it. and what a beautiful recipe for japan. Its lovely.
p.s.
I want to try your grilled cheese!

salah@myhealthiestlifestyle March 22, 2011 at 7:41 AM

that dish looks wonderful πŸ™‚

Katie March 22, 2011 at 6:43 AM

#1,2,3, 5 – thats so me too!

I LIVE in pajamas. Or yoga pants, which is pretty much the same thing. Somedays, its noon and I’m still in pajamas. Then I head to the gym, come home, shower, and put on yoga pants. Its pretty great.

Mustard….

Thanks for the award!

Sable@SquatLikeALady March 22, 2011 at 4:02 AM

Oh my gossssh I am with you on #1 and #2! 100%!!! I once managed to NOT wear jeans for 2 whole months. haha! I was in scrubs and sweats depending on where I was at all times. It was HEAVENLY!

That grilled cheese sounds gooooood πŸ™‚ I am such a failure at grilled-cheese-making. I can’t get it right! It should be relatively simple right? I mean it’s bread and cheese for crying out loud. Yeah no…I just can’t do it πŸ™

nelly March 22, 2011 at 3:55 AM

such a lovely idea…and i think it is called dashi broth…it’s made with kombu, right?

i too have a VERY addictive personality…extremely, and i too LOVE too cook for people…healthy, fattening…and i cook with love and all of my soul…AND!!! i make a mean grilled cheese too…haha, made one for my man last night, and he loved it…

glad the tree fell into the yard and not on your roof!!

have a beautiful day!

Ernie March 22, 2011 at 3:44 AM

I love the fact you put Mustard down twice on your OBSESSED list. Thought I was the only mustard freak on this planet!! Luvin that little to no calorie condiment or (actually) it is one of my food groups!! Fallen tree of not … Your Dashi looks magnificent!!!