Mar
2011

Crumbled Goji-Apple Pie Cheesecake

30 comments

I’m not sure why, but this past weekend I was really craving raw food. Healthy, nutrient dense, unheated, raw food.

I’m no stranger to raw food recipes or preparing and I have definitely had my fair share of experience with raw foodism (this was why I started my blog!). You may or may not probably don’t remember my entry for the Raw Ice Cream Cake Challenge last May.

My entry.

I made a Raw Caramel Crumb Cinnamon Apple Pie (and) Ice Cream cake (above), which although didn’t win, was victorious at my house.

This one is better.

Although not 100% raw, this recipe can be adjusted to be. It’s sinful, decadent, seriously awesome. And completely guilt-free.

After browsing a few select and similar recipes, inspiration hit me like a ton of bricks pile of apples. Wanting this raw version of a Apple Cranberry “Cheesecake,” and wanting it now, I knew what had to be done. And what recipe had to be tackled. It might not be quite as pretty, but it sure did achieve the taste I was after.

I also opted just to “go with the flow” so to speak. A little of this, a dash of that, and voila! A masterpiece of ooey, gooey, delightfully drippy, apple pie inspired cheesecake was born. And adapted from Rawmazing‘s Apple Cranberry “Cheesecake”.

Crumbled Goji-Apple Pie Cheesecake

[vegan, rawish, delicious, and guilt-free. messiness approved]

TOPPING:

• 2 1/2 apples, any variety, peeled and sliced thinly (save that other 1/2 apple for filling)
  • 3 tbsp agave nectar (could use honey or maple syrup)
  • 1-2 tbsp lemon juice and/or fresh orange juice
  • 1 tbsp cinnamon
  • 1/4 cup dried goji berries

CRUST:

• 1 cup shredded coconut
  • 1/4 cup nut butter (I used homemade pumpkin seed- recipe coming soon!)
  • 1/2 cup pitted dates
  • 1/4 cup fresh orange juice

FILLING:

• 5 oz. tofu, cubed (about 1 cup)
  • (optional for raw recipe: 1 cup cashews, soaked for at least 1 hour and rinsed)
  • 1/2 apple
  • 1/2 cup coconut oil/coconut butter
  • 1/4 cup fresh orange juice
  • 1 tbsp lemon juice
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • 1 tsp cinnamon
  • stevia, to taste (or 1/4 cup agave nectar)
  • dash of salt

EASY Instructions:

1. Prepare your apple topping by placing sliced apples in an oven-safe container or dish, adding the lemon juice, agave, and cinnamon. Toss to combine and place in oven at lowest temperature, or dehydrator set to 115 degrees, for 2 hours.
  2. While the apples are warming and wafting the most amazing smell throughout your house, prepare the crust. In a food processor, process all of the ingredients until they are easily pressed together (until they are “crust” consistency). Press into a greased or plastic wrap lined (smallish) spring form pan, reserving 1/2 cup crust for very top of cheesecake. Set pan aside.
  3. To make the filling, blend all ingredients in a blender or food processor until creamy. You may need to add more orange juice for easier blending. Taste and adjust as necessary. The sweetness and consistency is up to you.
  4. Pour into prepared pie crust, spreading evenly. Place in freezer until apples are ready.
  5. Once apples are softened or you just can’t wait any longer, remove from oven or dehydrator and let cool in the refrigerator (I cooled mine for at least a half hour).
  6. Add the goji berries to the apple mixture and pour the entire mixture over the (should be firm) cheesecake filling. Top with remaining crust.
  7. Eat as is, or freeze for an hour to further solidify cake.

Now for the extra special addition…

Drizzle with optional date syrup, agave nectar, maple syrup, or whatever your heart desires. I chose Organics Are For Everyone Date Syrup! I’m lovin’ this stuff.

Dripping with syrupy goodness.

Easy as pie. ;)

What are you craving?

When that craving hits, what is your solution?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pssst! Pass it on...
Facebook Twitter Email Gmail Pinterest Delicious Stumbleupon Tumblr Digg

Hi everyone, I'm and this is my blog What Runs Lori.

Like it? Love it? Want some more of it? Subscribe now! You can also find me on Facebook and Twitter!

Contact Me!

Kristine March 15, 2011 at 4:23 AM

WOW, that looks great!

I am craving avocado……. and pudding…….. avocado pudding is on today’s menu :D
Kristine´s last blog post ..Favourite Exercises- Glute-Hams Edition

Ernie March 15, 2011 at 4:52 AM

YEEEHAWWWW! That’s what I am talking bout!!! Favorite line in today’s blog …”dripping with syrupy goodness”!!! YUUMMMMYYYY!!!

Thanks once again Lori,
EM

Kat March 15, 2011 at 4:53 AM

Oh. My. Geeze. I think I have all these ingredients. Oh please lord tell me I do. I HAVE to make this. And since its almost raw and very healthy, I can eat all of it right? ;)
I wonder if I could trick my hubby into eating it…Challenge excepted!
Kat´s last blog post ..Sunday Recap

nelly March 15, 2011 at 5:23 AM

ummm…i’d like a slice of that right now, please and thank you.

salah@myhealthiestlifestyle March 15, 2011 at 5:25 AM

seriously, can you come be my personal chef? THis looks amazing!
salah@myhealthiestlifestyle´s last blog post ..Challenge- Frustrate- Learn- and Love

Katie March 15, 2011 at 5:54 AM

Apple pie is meant to be messy. If it isn’t messy, it isn’t going to be good.

I need to get on this date syrup. Stat.
Katie´s last blog post ..HOLLA Y’ALL!!!

Sable@SquatLikeALady March 15, 2011 at 6:13 AM

Oh my gosh. You are a genius!! That looks AMAZING.

I get all SORTS of cravings. Lately? Chocolate. So to make it more filling, rather than eating a square of chocolate, I crumble it into a bag of popcorn and mix it up til it becomes a melted gooey chocolately ball of popcorn :D
Sable@SquatLikeALady´s last blog post ..Mushy Monday- spread the mush!

Lauren @ WWoB March 15, 2011 at 6:33 AM

Holy. Shiz. Lori. THIS IS INSANE. You have the best recipes!! Where do you come up with all this?!?
Lauren @ WWoB´s last blog post ..Step away from the peanuts…

Melissa March 15, 2011 at 6:40 AM

girl, it’s my birthday today and I’m so making this:) So amazing!
PS your photography rocks:)
Melissa´s last blog post ..Tragedy in Japan

(what runs) Lori March 15, 2011 at 7:54 AM

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

Kelly Michelle March 15, 2011 at 7:31 AM

If I was male, or perhaps a more sexually open female, I would try to marry you. Perhaps I can come be your roommate?

Kelly Michelle March 15, 2011 at 7:32 AM

If I was male, or a lesbian, I would try to marry you. Perhaps I can come be your roommate instead?

(what runs) Lori March 15, 2011 at 7:50 AM

hahahaha! I liked both comments. That’s funny.

Um… I agree with all the freakin’ amazing foods people make around the blog world! Seriously!

Roommates could work… ;) Although I’m open if food is involved.

Kelly Michelle March 15, 2011 at 7:33 AM

hmmmmmm clearly I tried to change my comment and they both posted?

Monique March 15, 2011 at 3:22 PM

Oh man that sounds DELICIOUS!!!!!!! I need to make some cheesecake soon :)
Monique´s last blog post ..Week 11- Go vegetarian!

Paije March 15, 2011 at 3:23 PM

Ahhhh this looks soo delicious!! AWESOME recipe!! :D

nevernotdreaming March 15, 2011 at 3:31 PM

Long time reader, first time commenter. You make such elaborate, tasty looking things. I wish I had the skill, time, and patience! :)

Michelle... March 15, 2011 at 4:18 PM

That looks pretty damn amazing! I may have to try it out!

Right now I’m badly craving these cookies http://www.blueeyedbakers.com/home/2011/3/14/berger-cookies.html

I may feed the craving and then send my BF off to work with the rest!
Michelle…´s last blog post ..35 Day Challenge- Week 3ish

Pure2raw twins March 15, 2011 at 5:13 PM

Oh my heavens Lori…you have me drooling over here!!

And your pictures are amazing!!!!!!!!!!

kate March 16, 2011 at 3:32 AM

oh man! my integrative nutrition module this week is on raw foods. i am super curious about them and would love to experiment. in case i need a yummy cheesecake recipe….. :)
kate´s last blog post ..Unplugging

christina March 16, 2011 at 5:37 AM

IS THIS REAL? i saw the title in my reader and couldn’t get to your page quick enough….this is beautiful! ahhh
christina´s last blog post ..Aaaaand I’m Back

Jenn L @ Peas and Crayons March 16, 2011 at 9:30 AM

woah! This is GORGEOUS! It sounds as good as it looks and omg…. i bet it TASTES even better!
Jenn L @ Peas and Crayons´s last blog post ..What I Ate Wednesday Link Party 8

Alisa Fleming March 16, 2011 at 9:51 AM

I’m craving THAT CHEESECAKE!!! You are so mean. I need to eat a real lunch, now I just want cheesecake :)
Alisa Fleming´s last blog post ..Samoa Girl Scout Cookies- Dairy-Free &amp Vegan!

Natalie @ Will Jog for Food March 16, 2011 at 2:20 PM

The cake looks amazing! When I have a craving lately, i start chewing on my mint chocolate chip gum….if that doesn’t work…I go in for the gusto and give in :)

Kat @ Cupcake Kat March 16, 2011 at 3:42 PM

This looks so delicious. I love this recipe and you take beautiful photos
Kat @ Cupcake Kat´s last blog post ..A Bake Sale and Coconut Hot Chocolate

RawkinMom March 16, 2011 at 4:59 PM

WOW!!! I have seen some healthy, raw desserts but this one is fantabulous!!!!!!!!!!!!! I must try this recipe!!!! THANKS!!! :)
RawkinMom´s last blog post ..Celebrate St Patty’s Day with a Green Smoothie!!

Michelle {the lively kitchen} March 16, 2011 at 5:17 PM

I’ve never forgotten the caramel apple raw dessert from the first time you posted it. It’s filed away in my mind of desserts I will someday aspire to make.

Now I’m hungry for caramel apples.
Michelle {the lively kitchen}´s last blog post ..Taking a Spring Break

Christin@purplebirdblog March 17, 2011 at 3:19 AM

Every. Single. Time. Your photos make me all drooly… I’m sure my new supervisor approves. ;)
Christin@purplebirdblog´s last blog post ..WIAW- Oats on the Go

Amber Shea @Almost Vegan March 18, 2011 at 9:50 AM

Oh my, I love apple crumble-ish anything. And raw-ish too! 10 bonus points! :P
Amber Shea @Almost Vegan´s last blog post ..Raw chocolate almond butter cookies

Kristina @ spabettie March 18, 2011 at 10:33 AM

cheesecake is one of my favorites All The Time, and apple pie is a favorite in the summertime… this is a RAWsome (sorry!) combination that I will HAVE to try!! and anything with crumb topping… Mmm…