Figs, Figs, the Wonderful Fruit

March 31, 2011

Thanks to all the birthday wishes for Sascha! He reads my blog so he saw them! 🙂

I have to tell you, I did SO much baking this past weekend. I mean a lot. I had time, a sweet tooth, some thanking to send, and amazing recipes to tackle. So, bake I did.

Have I ever mentioned how much I enjoy baking? How about figs? No? Well, I do. Figs moist, have those tiny little crunchy seeds, are delicious topped with almond butter, and make a wonderful addition to brownies. (oooohhh, aaaahhhhh, brownieeeees)

I the use of figs in a brownie recipe from original creator, Lindsay, then Spa Bettie and I knew my mission was clear: Make Good Gut Figgy Brownies.

Since I have no idea how to actually follow a recipe, I made some changes. Ok, so the brownies shown above and right below are the exact recipe… but then I had some of the batter leftover to be played with as per usual…

Peppermint Figgy Brownies

[digestive wonders filled with figs. gluten, dairy, and sugar free, vegan brownies]

• 1/2 cup gluten-free brownie mix (I used Bob’s Red Mill)
  • 6 oz dried figs
  • 1/3 block (80 grams) tofu
  • 1/8 tsp sea salt
  • 1 tbsp oil (I used olive oil ’cause that’s all I had)
  • 1 tsp peppermint extract (or more depending on your love for all things mint)
  • 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1/4 to 1/2 cup almond milk  (depending on thickness of batter)
  • 1 scoop Life Basics Chocolate protein (because it’s delicious! But totally optional)
  • Sweetener if needed, but the figs do a wonderful job of sweetening the deal

In a blender or food processor, blend the figs, tofu, and almond milk together. Batter will probably be thick.

Pour batter into a bowl and add the remaining ingredients- stirring until everything is incorporated well. Again, batter will probably be thick.

Heat oven to 350 degrees. Grease any type of pan you’d like (I used a loaf and mini tins) and bake your figgy-wonderfuls for 25-35ish minutes (loaf pans) or 15-20 minutes (smaller tins) or until done (which is what I did).

Serve with almond milk and be ready to enjoy!

So so SO so so good. I think I ate a pound of figs the night I made these. Why I feel the need to tell you that, I’m not sure. 😉

Go make these now. You’re welcome.

On a very random side note, a friend of mine started a blog a few months ago. I must say, it’s HILARIOUS. It’s the day in the life of an auditor and yes, usually they have pretty boring jobs… however, this blog shows the incredibly entertaining, hilarious wonderful, and um… really weird thoughts and duties of An Auditor’s Life. Seriously, go read!

Happy Thursday!

You finish the song…

“Figs, figs, the wonderful fruit…[insert your lyrics in the comments!]

Christine (The Raw Project) March 31, 2011 at 6:25 PM

Wow, the brownies look wonderful, amazing recipe! Thanks!

Natalie March 31, 2011 at 1:08 PM

aahhh figggssss!! i eat dried figs with almond butter almost EVERY DAY as a snack… yummmm. so basically figs + chocolate in this brownie of yours sounds so amazing to me. cant wait to make these!!!! awesome recipe.

katie March 31, 2011 at 11:45 AM

GIRL you are the recipe queen! I love the ingredients to this- looks so good! im catching up on your blog right now.. thank you so much for your SWEET comment!

The Teenage Taste March 31, 2011 at 11:35 AM

Those brownies look delicious! I love the addition of peppermint!
PS – Your photos are beautiful!

Alyssa @ Life of bLyss March 31, 2011 at 8:50 AM

going to your friends bloggity blog now! and I totally just bookmarked the fig brownies. cause if the word “brownie” is the goal of the recipe, I’m sold.

Katie March 31, 2011 at 6:20 AM

I had never had fresh figs until I worked in Georgia. I was on a farm and they were on a tree. I plucked one, and then about 7000 more. Fresh are a bajillion times better than dried. I’m not sure I could use them in brownies though….they need to be the star.

Bob’s makes the best GF brownie mix. I’ve tried a lot of them. 😉

Those thank you cookies? Made em. Love em. Love you for posting the recipe!

Alisa Fleming March 31, 2011 at 6:15 AM

Such a great idea to put figs in brownies! I love those little seeds too.

Kelly Michelle March 31, 2011 at 5:31 AM

ok, so the brownies look good but I need to go check out that blog RIGHT NOW. Since I’m an auditor and all.

Kat March 31, 2011 at 4:50 AM

I love figs!! My papa used to have a tree in his yard and I swear I would eat tons of them each summer. I hate that I dont have free access to them anymore!! I rarely ever see fresh ones in stores, which makes me so mad!

Kristina @ spabettie March 31, 2011 at 4:42 AM

oooh, girl, what have you DONE! peppermint sounds fabulous, and I bet was a great addition to these.

going to check out the blog now – my step dad was an auditor and I used to be an accountant, so I’m sure I will LOVE it! 🙂

Sable@SquatLikeALady March 31, 2011 at 4:20 AM

Ooooh these look good! I betcha I could trick Max into eating the peppermint ones (he hates “healthified” baked goodies). I love figs too!! But somehow I have never used them in a recipe. Go figure!

Salah (My Healthiest Lifestyle) March 31, 2011 at 4:18 AM

Those brownies look so awesome!! You better believe I’ll be making those soon!

Ernie March 31, 2011 at 4:06 AM

My Fig Fettishes….

1. Throw them on the grill until the oozzzzy center begins to caramelize
2. Stuff with a small piece of goat cheese and fresh thyme
3. Stuff with a thin piece of prosciutto, and top with mint and drizzle with a bit of balsamic vinegar
4. Split them open and smear with almond butter
5. Thinly slice and lay them over an arugula and basil salad with shaved Parmesan
6. Slice and put on a pizza with goat cheese, shaved fennel, and caramelized onions
7. Place them directly in your mouth and ENJOY!!!

EW

lindsay March 31, 2011 at 2:43 AM

you did it!! and I love that recipe! I knew you’d make some kind of genuis recipe with it.
😉