Hoarders

March 14, 2011

Cue themed music.

Cue cluttered house.

Cue squash.

Squash??

Hi. My name is Lori and I hoard squash. Mainly kabocha.

Personally, I don’t find this squash addiction a problem, although some might think otherwise.

I eat kabocha squash daily. Or try to.

I had a slight panic attack the last time I went to Whole Foods. There was only a handful of kabocha squash left. Kabocha season ends?!?!

Just like any addict, or hoarder, I decided to stock up for the long drought.

And then begin my bender.

Making piles and piles of slightly salty, crispy, tender chunks of baked bliss.

I savor every bite. Who knows when I’ll get another hit squash.

I have no problem. Eating pounds of kabocha every week is alright, isn’t it? I haven’t turned into a squash yet…

I just love every. single. kabocha.

Big, small, round, bumpy, lopsided, baked, steamed, pureed, spiced, salted. I love them all.

Made-Daily Baked Kabocha

[addicting]

• Kabocha squash, washed, seeded, and cut into small cubes
  • Olive oil, just enough for lightly coating squash
  • S & P
  • Optional: paprika, cumin, garlic powder

Toss all ingredients together in a large Pyrex baking dish. Bake at 400 degrees F for up to 45 minutes, depending on how much squash you are preparing and how much room is in the baking dish.

Eat. Enjoy. Repeat daily.

My boyfriend is shaking his head right now, reading this. He loathes kabocha.

More for me.

Who needs a plate when you can use half a baked kabocha?

Maybe I do have a problem. A wonderful, wonderful addiction.

My, what nice kabochas you have.

What do you hoard?

Nyssa June 21, 2011 at 6:27 AM

Ha! Try buying kabocha squash in Arcata, CA or Raleigh, NC – I’ve bought out the whole supply!

But seriously, I came to this site because I googled kabocha squash addiction and this is what came up; I know all problems are solved or validated on the internets.

Heather @ kissmybroccoli April 7, 2011 at 12:25 PM

“No, seriously you guys…you HAVE to feel these! It’s like they’re the real thing!” I just tried kabocha for the first time last year and oh.my.gawd! How on Earth did I go 26 years of living without it?! I’m making a run to Nashville this weekend and I’ll definitely be stopping by my favorite Asian market (which sells kabocha year round) to stock up on some!

I hoard dried fruit. I can’t help it. Every time I see a new one that I haven’t tried, I just can’t resist the urge! Last purchase, goji berries…eh, still on the fence about those little wallet killers! :-/

Kelsey @ Snacking Squirrel April 3, 2011 at 5:01 PM

Did you get implants??? why yes, yes you did lol. Wow, i thought I was in a weird food fantasy dream where you miraculously are covered and showered in kabocha squashes haha. tis true that dreams can come true. ive hoarded many kabochas and sweet potatoes in my past…i think right now im into hoarding teas, cereal, and yogurt 😉

xoxo <3

Michelle {the lively kitchen} March 16, 2011 at 5:20 PM

Can you respect me as a food blogger if I admit to never having tried Kabocha? Shameful, I know.

I hoard Kombucha lately. I buy a couple of bottles every time I am at the store, which adds a good $6.50 to each grocery bill. 🙂

Alisa Fleming March 15, 2011 at 2:30 PM

Um, broccoli. Fortunately, it is there year round, but I hoard it when it goes on sale.

I love kabocha sauteed, but haven’t had it in ages.

Christin@purplebirdblog March 15, 2011 at 2:21 PM

How could ANYONE loathe the king of all squashes!? Thank god for the Asian market and their year-round kabocha availability! Oh, and nice squash boobs. 😉

Pure2raw Twins March 15, 2011 at 2:14 AM

I miss kabochas!! I love them soo much 🙂 I will hoard any squashes love them all 🙂

Chuck March 14, 2011 at 7:18 PM

So you’re the one who took it all! I still have never had a kombucha squash… whats it like?

Sable@SquatLikeALady March 14, 2011 at 4:51 PM

Awww I missed your comment somehow — you are so sweet! You made my day 🙂 🙂 Thank you!

kalli March 14, 2011 at 4:10 PM

i love this! i think i would eat more kabocha but my hubs does not like it either! i get nervous when we are almost out of almond butter-scary!

Ela March 14, 2011 at 1:29 PM

Sounds like a pretty benign addiction–and great that your bf tolerates it! So much better than canned pumpkin, right?

I hoard goodies that I make, and otherwise try to get things in large quantities but use them regularly too. But I mean enormous quantities, or else I get anxious!

Katie March 14, 2011 at 12:54 PM

Ha! I love the last picture and caption! You’re a goofball, Lori.

dana @ my little celebration March 14, 2011 at 12:50 PM

Ha, you are hilarious. That last picture cracked me up. Those squash looked more like melons :D.

zoe (and the beatles) March 14, 2011 at 11:08 AM

kabochaaaa!!! so delicious! love it lots, too. i hoard hummus. it’s an issue. and usually carrots but…since i’ve officially turned orange, i’m turning away from my little orange friends. sad day!

Euniece@innerpeacehealthytreats&runningfeet March 14, 2011 at 10:30 AM

i have never even heard of this!!! i must have been living under a rock!!!! i need to try asap!

Natalie @ cinnamon bums March 14, 2011 at 9:48 AM
Natalie @ cinnamon bums March 14, 2011 at 9:47 AM

haha yes!!!!! kabocha!! yummmmmm. i need to eat some of that stuff now that im back in california. you can also buy them at japanese/asian grocery stores year round (there’s one on stevens creek down the street from whole foods called marukai) – and they usually have REALLY good/sweet kabocha. i was sad when i went to whole foods on friday and saw that they dont really have many squashes at all! i guess that’s the good thing about new england – they always have SO much squash ahha

Melissa March 14, 2011 at 8:32 AM

I hoarded squash of every variety…then the hoarding gods found out where I kept my stash and decided to take them away from me (frozen death). Now I hoard chia seeds and raw cacao:)
Great post! Need to go shopping today and get me some squash!!
Happy Monday

Katie March 14, 2011 at 7:21 AM

That last picture looks like you’re holding them as boobs. 😉

Okay, that’s like the day I walked out of the store with 8 different winter squashes. I love them so much. I made a kabocha on Friday. It was gone on Saturday. 2 full pounds in less than 2 days. Beat that.

Here’s an even easier way to cook it – throw it WHOLE into the oven and bake as you normally do. Then, you don’t have to cut into the squash when it is rock hard. And scooping out the seeds is really easy. It works with ever squash. No more danger to your fingers!

Danielle March 14, 2011 at 6:57 AM

ahahahah I feel the same way about my zucchini! =)

salah@myhealthiestlifestyle March 14, 2011 at 5:20 AM

I definitely hoard sweet potatoes lol…..TONS! haha

tea-bag March 14, 2011 at 5:06 AM

i actually hate this post – only because i, too, am a hoarder of kabocha & i don’t want word to get out of it’s loveliness! less for me if more people start buying it! 🙂 i don’t even share w/ my japanese grandma when she comes to town even though she constantly hints that she likes it. am i a bad person? maybe. do i have orange palms? definitely. do i care? um, no. 🙂

Kat March 14, 2011 at 4:45 AM

Ive never tried that kind of squash, mainly because Im afraid of how it looks. I mean, its kind of intimidating. Just sayin’ 😉
I hoard grapes. I mean, seriously hoard them. I bought a bag of green grapes on friday and they are already gone. I go through them fast, so when they are on sale, I stock up. Like 3-4 bags at a time. My hubby doesnt understand my problem, but I dont mind at all 🙂

Sable@SquatLikeALady March 14, 2011 at 4:19 AM

Oh I LOVE squash! I hoard butternut. I think it’s perfectly fine, I mean it’s not like it goes bad quickly… I also hoard sweet potatoes, egg whites, and strawberries (I freeze ’em so I can pull them out and thaw them when they go out of season!)