This title just makes me smile… And giggle just a bit.
It’s now Tuesday but I’m still relishing in my wonderful weekend, now past. I taught a boot camp class, came up with a few workouts for my wonderful readers, got my garden planted, and did a little birthday celebrating on Saturday.
Before we get to all the food and celebrating, I’ve got a killer workout to share. It’s short(ish) and requires nothing more than your body. By request, no gym or extra equipment needed.
The Dirty 30
- 30 mountain climbers
- 30 burpees
- 30 weighted sit ups (holding a 25# plate or anything heavy- challenge yourself!)
- 30 body weight squats (focus on keeping weight in the heels and going low)
- 30 side planks (each side)
If you’re feelin’ adventurous, repeat this 3 times. Wonderful. And let me know what you think of the workout! Trust me, if it’s burning, you’re doing it right.
Anne‘s husband, Brian, was the weekend birthday boy. It was our job to make sure he was well fed and having a great time.
Anne supplied the crazy-delicious whiskey lemonade mixture and skewered and barbequed meats (even though she’s a vegetarian- what a nice host she is). The rest of the party attendees brought garlic hummus (ooooh so yum), dips, chips, fruit, German potato salad (which my boyfriend made, and I forgot to take a picture of but so good), and my celebration balls.
Anne also, being the amazing cook/baker she is, made homemade pound cake with orange marmalade glaze. Omg it was amazing. Loaded with sugar, but still amazing.
And the Celebration Balls I brought were a hit! These moist little cookie balls were super fudgy, slightly sweet, and spiked with vodka. Now tell me you wouldn’t celebrate with these balls (hehe).
[fudgy and alcohol spiked. gluten and dairy free. vegan and damn good.]
Recipe inspired and heavily adapted by Healthful Pursuit’s Irresistible Chocolate Truffle Cookies
- 1/4 cup extra virgin, non refined coconut oil
- 1 1/2 cups semisweet chocolate chips (I used Enjoy Life chocolate chips)
- 2 flax eggs (2 tbsp ground flax seed + 5 tbsp water)
- 8 medjool dates
- 2 tbsp vanilla vodka (or other alcohol of choice- rum would be good)
- 1 cup almond flour
- 1 cup coconut flour (or finely ground unsweetened coconut flakes)
- 1/4 cup Bob’s Red Mill GF Brownie Mix
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- In a double boiler, melt the chocolate and the coconut oil, stirring the entire time it’s heating. When melted, remove from the heated water and set aside.
- Combine flax eggs, dates, and vodka in a blender and blend until smooth.
- In a large bowl, combine almond and coconut flours, brownie mix, baking soda, salt, and melted chocolate. Stir until thoroughly combined. Batter will probably be thick.
- Cover and place dough in the fridge for 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 350F
- Roll chilled dough into 1 inch balls. Place on a parchment paper lined cookie sheet, keeping 1/2 inch between each cookie.
- Bake for 10 minutes.
Allow cookies to cool on baking sheet for 5 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completelyEat when you’re ready and the cookie balls are cooked. The batter is delicious too!
Makes 40+ Celebration Ball.
One word of caution: These are DELICIOUS.
These babies got raved reviews at the party, so make them. You’ll thank me.
And then you’ll get your exercise on… right?
Questions of the Day:
Have you had anything to celebrate lately?
What’s your workout style? Have you ever taken a boot camp class or done boot camp style workouts?
Are you sick of all the sweet recipes yet? I’ve got some good non-dessert ones coming up.