Eating Freely, Arizona Edition

June 6, 2011

When on vacation I like to eat all I can for the local flavors. Or maybe I really just like to try new things whenever possible.

I definitely did my fair share of eating when I was in Arizona. I tried anything and everything I could that sounded different and delicious. Here are some of my favorite eats while away from home.

Sedona Olive Oil Company. One word: DELICIOUS.

I purchased two basalmic vinegars after tasting a wide variety of oils and vinegars, all aged to perfection. There were SO many basalmic vinegar options to chose from: Espresso (Mmmmm!), Green Apple, Cucumber Melon, Strawberry, Red Raspberry, etc. There were mostly sweeter flavors to try but I went with two bottles of the BEST one they offer, Garlic Cilantro Basalmic Vinegar. I could drink this one straight from the bottle. Pricy but well worth the 18 years aged liquid gold.

There were notable olive oils but none that compaired to the vinegars. 😉

Appetizers are welcomed…

Chili-seasoned Cactus Fries with Spicy Prickly Pear Dipping Sauce. Wow.

I can’t remember where these were from but they were amazing. Trust me.

A mentionable dinner included a burger.

This is no ordinary burger. It may look mild-mannered but I can assure you, it’s nothing even close to plain.

From Cuvee 928 Wine Bar & Cafe in Flagstaff, the Cuvee Burger: Lamb and beef-made, with Cuvee cheese, lettuce, tomato, red onion, Secret Sauce. Served with mashed potatoes with a side of butternut squash dressing. I may have to say it’s one of the most amazing tasting burger I’ve ever had.

And what trip is ever complete without dessert?

Lots of desserts.

We have here the Healing Bar and chocolate maca truffle from Chocolatree in Sedona.

And double chocolate ganache cake studded with raw cacao nibs. Mmmmm…

Have I ever mentioned I love raw, vegan, organic foods?

Well, I do.

I also love new grocery store finds, while on vacation, of course.

Dark Cacao L.O.V.E. Cup. The DARKEST chocolate you can get. Raw cacao, agave, and love.

Where there’s chocolate, there’s coffee.

Slow service but great coffee.

And that concludes Eating Freely, Arizona edition.

What have you been eating freely lately?

When on vacation do you eat a little more relaxed to taste the local flavors?

Hanie August 30, 2011 at 4:20 AM

I’m a chocaholic! and i really love your picture it looks so yummy and delicious..

Chuck June 6, 2011 at 9:28 PM

Looks like a blast- glad you lived it up! Cactus fries? Nice. I’ve had just steamed, or cooked, cactus when I was in Cancun and really liked it!

Kristie June 6, 2011 at 5:58 PM

Everything looks and sounds incredible! I love trying new foods so I would definitely be doing plenty of free eating and sampling if I were traveling anywhere new. Unfortunately I haven’t done that in AGES. Clearly I need to get away! I had no idea they had that many crazy balsamic types, incredible. And I thought just plain old balsamic was delicious, not even aware of the whole world of balsamic goodness out there! Also, those cactus fries need to be in front of me right about now.

Rawxy June 6, 2011 at 5:29 PM

Freaking YUM – all of it! I do the same thing when I’m traveling – find unique food and consume it 🙂 I also love the balsamic vinegars -the espresso sounds especially rad!

Jess@Healthy Exposures June 6, 2011 at 4:27 PM

ooohh those vinegars look amazing!! i love balsamic. and the desserts don’t look too shabby, either 😉

Heather @ kissmybroccoli June 6, 2011 at 4:14 PM

Oh WOW! Those cactus fries look and sound amazing!! I am all about tasting my way through my vacation! There’s just something about finding hidden gems that makes my day! I’ve even found some great places in Nashville (basically my backyard) that I never knew existed!

That garlic cilantro balsamic vinegar sounds like something I could and would bathe in!! Lol

Pure2raw twins June 6, 2011 at 3:49 PM

everything looks amazing!!!! drooling over here

lori and I actually have been a eating out habit lately, we forgot how fun it is to go out to eat

Katie June 6, 2011 at 12:57 PM

I am bummed I never went to the Chocolate Tree, but they did sell them at the store in town. I liked their coconut butter. Ummm…

tea-bag June 6, 2011 at 12:30 PM

those eats look great! when i’m vacationing i always try the local flavors! who knows when you’ll be back again?!? i like travelling inorder to experience the culture & food is so tied into culture!

Jenny (Fit Girl Foodie) June 6, 2011 at 9:56 AM

Loving that yummy burger! And that chocolate looks so decadent and delicious. I love trying all the foods new places have to offer. It’s not often I go on vacation so you gotta experiment 😀

kat June 6, 2011 at 8:23 AM

Oh my goodness. So much chocolate!! And those vinegars sound ridiculously delicious! Wow. Since I’m a simp at trying new foods I usually stick to what I know. When I try something new it tends to be disappointing!!

Alisa Fleming June 6, 2011 at 8:10 AM

Balsamic and oil taste testings? Oh my god, how cool! And those love cups, I must get one now! But they’re probably like three dollars each, huh?

lindsay June 6, 2011 at 7:54 AM

totally the best part of vacation. Local flare! I love exploring new cities and places to eat. No matter where we go! maybe arizona should be next??
😉

Ela June 6, 2011 at 7:52 AM

Ahh…the Chocolatree pics have me fantasizing…

I’ve been eating fruit freely just the past week (over the yeast cleanse, over fruit-phobia, back to my old-old ways)–loving it!

Shanna, Like Banana June 6, 2011 at 7:02 AM

While on vacation, I eat a bit of everything since I know it may be awhile before I can try the local faire again. It’s extremely freeing to not be so regimented about my eats. And when I come home, I just get right back on track.

Lauren @ WWoB June 6, 2011 at 6:50 AM

Gah I LOVE EATING ON VACATION. I eat very freely whenever we go somewhere special – its an experience and a limited opportunity! It would be a mistake not to, if you ask me.

However, I have been at home just studying for finals and eating freely – but not in a good way. Stress eating has been taking over a bit lately and I finally reigned it in a couple days ago. It was stressing me out on top of my stress at first, but Im letting go of it. Everything occurs in cycles and will balance out eventually 🙂

Sable@SquatLikeALady June 6, 2011 at 5:04 AM

Oh my goodness. That all looks AMAZING!!

I love getting to try new things, ESPECIALLY when on vacation 😀

Jenn @ Peas & Crayons June 6, 2011 at 4:56 AM

Eating freely and AMAZINGLY! ahhh everything looks divine! I’m bummed my arizona trip fell through in May — I would have been in a food/sunshine coma all week i’m certain! <3 Now its time to bug the husband for a vacation! haha

Happy monday lovey!

salah@myhealthiestlifestyle June 6, 2011 at 4:16 AM

that food all looks yummy!!!! that cacao cup looks awesome!

Daniella @ Runner at Heart June 6, 2011 at 3:04 AM

Frozen yogurt/ice cream. Now that the weather is warmer I just want it every night!

Kelly June 6, 2011 at 3:03 AM

I love eating on vacation…it wouldn’t be a vacation without some really amazing food!!

kate June 6, 2011 at 2:56 AM

i love vacation foods too. something about traveling makes me relax and enjoy food a bit more. being out of the ordinary routine with food is very nice.

i am drooling over the balsamics and all the chocolate. yum!!! we make a chocolate mint bals at my store that i am currently in love with 🙂

Alexandra June 6, 2011 at 2:29 AM

Ooooh what a yummy burger! 🙂 I love trying the local foods when I’m traveling, too. It seems like you just get such a great overall experience in the town that way! It’s also so fun to go to those mom and pop places where the locals hang out 🙂