Chocolate Coffee Paleo Pancakes (don’t worry, they’re grain-free!)

July 29, 2011

Have I ever mentioned I have a sweet tooth? Just a tiny one. One that sometimes consumes my every waking thought. Is that normal?

I’ve noticed that when I eat a predominately Paleo diet I don’t crave quite as many sweets and sugars. Probably because I’m actually filling my body with fats and proteins, and staying away from the starchier carbohydrates. I’m more satisfied. For me, it works.

Even though I’m not craving as many sweets as often, I’m still a victim of good, clean dessert-y meals. Like breakfast. Paleo breakfast. Pancake breakfasts!

I think you should add a little Chocolate Coffee Paleo Pancake to your life, too.

Adapted from a truly Health-Bent Paleo Pancake recipe.

Happy Friday!

Anything exciting planned for this weekend?

Chocolate? Coffee? Pancakes?

Sarah May 15, 2012 at 4:07 PM

Is there a wet ingredient missing, maybe? I made these just now and they are super crumbly, and I even added some almond milk to try to solve the dryness issue. There is no way one can (even with the almond milk) “ladle” this batter into a pan.
Any advice?
Thanks!

alana May 29, 2012 at 7:05 PM

I had the same problem as sarah with the thickness. Ive tried to alter but havent worked yet.

Laurie February 21, 2012 at 10:19 AM

Perfect for “fat tuesday/Pancake day” thanks for sharing!

Jerusha February 2, 2012 at 11:16 AM

I made these and the batter was very dry and crumbly. Did you form them into pancake shape and then cook or am I missing something?

Heather @ Kiss My Broccoli August 1, 2011 at 5:26 AM

Holy crap, these look incredible!! I know what I’m making next Pancake Sunday…if I can wait that long!! They look so thick and fluffy! You’d never even guess that they’re grain free!

Jenny (Fit Girl Foodie) July 31, 2011 at 6:58 PM

Omg breakfast or dessert?!! Love it!

Pure2raw Twins July 30, 2011 at 4:10 PM

I will take one!!! And I love all three – chocolate ,coffee and pancakes!!! Sounds perfect! Next time can we come over for breakfast? xoxo

Ela July 30, 2011 at 2:43 PM

That’s so interesting about Paleo helping with cravings. It can be hard for me to know whether my macronutrient balance or absolute number of calories is having the effect, because I so often slide back into ‘restriction,’ but it’s definitely true that my craving for chocolate has disappeared since I started eating more carbs and quit fearing them! Still, ‘whole’ carbs and good stuff, so maybe it’s a similar mechanism.

Chuck July 29, 2011 at 11:00 PM

Ooh these sound great! I’ve tried the method of 2 eggs mixed with a banana and some protein powder and those came out pretty well. I also baked a chicken breast tonight coated in coconut flour and it was incredible!

tea-bag July 29, 2011 at 9:17 PM

i think i’m the only one on the planet that doesn’t like pancakes (even though they do look amazing). i notice that my sweet tooth diminishes when i eat more protein & keep my foods super simple. if my breakfast is steamed broccoli, plain greek yogurt, egg whites & a protein muffin (unsweetened) it sets me up for a day of clean eating.
i do, however, indulge my sweet tooth at night! 🙂

yoyo mama July 29, 2011 at 8:53 PM

what will you be making THIS weekend?

The Teenage Taste July 29, 2011 at 1:18 PM

These look delicious and super decadent. Who says Paleo food has to be boring? Not Lori! 😉

Alisa Fleming July 29, 2011 at 9:20 AM

Why is breakfast totally a dessert meal? I always crave sweets, so bad! Those look great as usual Lori!

amy@healthyhungryhappy.com July 29, 2011 at 8:38 AM

looks amazing! im sure the coffee flavor makes them so yummy! i need to get more pumpkin pronto…thanks for the recipe!

Kristina @ spabettie July 29, 2011 at 7:25 AM

I love coffee in breads – I AM going to have these this weekend! I love the ingredient list.

Katie July 29, 2011 at 7:13 AM

Silly girl. Coffee is never optional for me. 😀

Kat July 29, 2011 at 6:33 AM

Im so making these!! Like RIGHT now! These look amazing! Thanks for sharing 🙂

Sarah July 29, 2011 at 6:30 AM

Well I’m making your chocolate chip cookie bars this weekend, and I’m excited for that! That’s what got me following you and I have to say I’m loving all the grain-free recipes.

Katie July 29, 2011 at 5:44 AM

Yahoooo! Those look so dang good! I am going to try them, but probably add some ground flax + water in place of one of the eggs.

Amber Shea @Almost Vegan July 29, 2011 at 5:40 AM

AAH! These look so good! And only coconut flour, wow. That is AWESOME.

Kelly July 29, 2011 at 5:34 AM

I feel like I have died and gone to breakfast heaven!

Jess@Healthy Exposures July 29, 2011 at 3:55 AM

I looove chocolate-coffee anything…but have yet to have it in pancake form. You know what’s going to happen now 😉 These look great! Sometimes I have bad luck with all coconut flour in pancakes (not cooking through) but these don’t look that way at all!

lindsay July 29, 2011 at 3:45 AM

this when i want to reach through the computer and eat it! I love coconut flour pancakes! well done Lori. As usual.