Paleo Breakfast Bake

July 12, 2011

The morning of the hike in Yosemite my sister, cousin, and I woke up at 1:30 am (yes, we actually did sleep a few hours before we left to hike that early), left her house at 2:00 am, and got to the trail head and were hiking at 4:40 am. After hiking all day we finished our hike at about 3:30 pm, grabbed food and got back to my cousin’s house after 9:00 pm.

That was a FULL day of life. Needless to say, we were exhausted and I proceeded to pass out the second my head hit that pillow.

I wake up early anyway, no matter what, all the time, and the next morning I rose at 6:30 am. Slightly rested, pretty thirsty, slightly hungry, and feining coffee, I made my way into the kitchen. After approximately 30 minutes of trying to figure out her coffee machine (stupid fancy kitchen equipment) I had a steaming up ‘O Joe in my hands and the perfect after-hike recipe to make for breakfast.

That is how my morning proceeded and after another hour, breakfast was mine. Protein-rich, flavorful, Paleo breakfast for replenishing a body after a long day and short night [sleep].

Couldn’t be any easier, could it? Well, except you do have to chop a few things… and figure out how to work those all-in-one grind and roast coffee makers. Ug, not a fan.

How do you refuel after some intense exercise?
Coffee fans? Any embarrassing stories about not succeeding in making coffee? Seriously, how did I live all these years and still not be able to successfully conquer a machine?!

julie November 20, 2012 at 10:57 AM

love thisssss! i’m starting the whole30 diet soon so this is going to be so good for those busy days i’m on the run to work!

Sami November 10, 2012 at 11:45 AM

This recipe looks great! But I can’t have mushrooms 🙁 Any suggestions on what to replace mushrooms in this recipe??? Thanks!

Lori December 15, 2012 at 10:42 AM

Any veggie will work! You could sub with zucchini, bell peppers, squash, anything! Get creative and use your favorite vegetable for this recipe. 🙂

jill October 29, 2012 at 9:57 AM

how is yogurt and goat cheese paleo? I’m confused.

Martha May 21, 2012 at 7:47 AM

Does anyonw know, if you can make this the night before, then bake it?????

Lori May 27, 2012 at 4:57 PM

You definitely can. The flavors may be more intense too!

Josh January 31, 2012 at 12:41 PM

Looks great. Whats a good subsitute for mushrooms? Just not a fan of the fungi.

GiGi Eats Celebrities January 14, 2012 at 9:02 PM

Clearly I need to go on a hike so when I return this will be waiting for me!

Pure2raw Twins July 12, 2011 at 4:03 PM

yum yum, I still have a hard time figure out certain coffee makers. I am not sure why they make things so difficult sometimes!! After a long day of exercise we typically enjoy a smoothie and followed by snacks all day long. And later a salad or something and dessert. haha It really varies from day to day, all depends what is on hand!

teabag July 12, 2011 at 3:06 PM

coffee fanatic! i drink it black now that i’ve cut out most artificial/added sugar so now i’m a super snob about coffee quality – you can really taste a difference when the flavor’s not masked by chemicals! 🙂
post exercise, i keep it simple. carbs & protein. if i’m at home: kabocha & greek yogurt/protein smoothie. at work: oats & greek yogurt/ eggs. 🙂

dido July 12, 2011 at 12:58 PM

looks lovely and makes me hungry just looking at the pics
i make a very similar thing but Vegetarian!

Kristina @ spabettie July 12, 2011 at 11:41 AM

this looks awesome… I always need something like this, BIG protein, after a BIG workout. yesterday after my 5 miles (um, YES that’s a lot for me right now!) 🙂 I had a burrito the size of my leg.

salah@myhealthiestlifestyle July 12, 2011 at 11:14 AM

I LOOOOOVE me some eggies! Those are one of my ALL TIME favorite post-workout meals! Definitely going to keep this recipe!

Alisa Fleming July 12, 2011 at 10:32 AM

Wow, I can’t believe you hiked on that little sleep too!

Erin July 12, 2011 at 9:50 AM

Looking great and tasty for sure!

Leashieloo July 12, 2011 at 9:12 AM

Looks really good, perfect for brunch!

Kelly July 12, 2011 at 4:00 AM

seriously this is perfect! I have a girl’s potluck brunch to go to on Saturday morning and I have been put in charge of bringing an egg dish! You are the best.

Katie July 12, 2011 at 3:54 AM

I forgot to tell you I made your egg muffin cup thingies last week! They are super good, I used artichokes, sund-dried tomatoes, nutritional yeast, and spinach. I froze some, but haven’t tried them yet….

I would have crashed hard after that hike.

Larry July 12, 2011 at 3:43 AM

Looks tasty. I approve of this recipe.

Post-exercise refueling for me is usually a full meal. I used to do protein shakes but nowadays I like to eat real food as much as possible.

I’m horrible at making coffee. Probably the one food-related item I can’t make. I don’t drink a ton of it, but I like the routine of having a cup or two in the morning. So, we recently got a Keurig and that solved all of my coffee making problems.

Lesley Lifting Life July 12, 2011 at 3:10 AM

Looks delicious! I love seeing those delicious mushrooms sticking out 🙂