Paleo Pumpkin Swirl Banana Bread

July 25, 2011

I’ve been trying to incorporate a more Paleo-esque way of eating lately, with much success. That is, if you don’t count my Love Grown Foods Granola handfuls here and there.

I’m not perfect, won’t try to pretend I’m perfect, nor will I lie that I think I’m even close, but I do like taking out most grains, legumes, and dairy from my diet. I feel better, I’m less bloated, hold less water (that’s the same as less bloated..?), and I just feel lighter. Odd that I feel lighter, since I have been eating so much meat…

Anyway, I’ve also been playing around with Paleo recipes, baking tons of stuff (yes, not quite a caveman approach, but I can’t take the baker out of me, even when trying Paleo). I do love baking.

With getting back into CrossFit recently, I feel it’s only fitting that I throw some emphasis on the Paleo way of eating, if only trying out some fabulously easy and delicious recipes.

For example, take this recipe by health-Bent.com. Banana bread without the flour, grains, sugar? Sign me up! And while we’re signing me up, give me a slice or two to hold me over while mine finishes baking.

Slice into as many servings as you wish and serve. In complete honesty, I ate a good 1/3 of the loaf before I even got it cooled. It’s that good.

Most of the time I make a recipe there are slight changes I can see for the next baking round. But with this recipe, I found no variation that would make it any more rich and moist. This, dare I say, could be better than original banana bread. I loved it. I know you will, too.

shelly November 11, 2012 at 12:23 PM

anything we can sub for coconut?

Lori December 15, 2012 at 10:40 AM

You could probably sub almond flour/meal, or other dried fruit…

Julie Burns October 24, 2012 at 6:57 PM

Thanks for the yummy recipe! I used 1/4 cup of coconut oil cuz I ran out of almond butter, it was great! I also added cinnamon and vanilla. Next time, adding nuts. But sure satisfies my sweet tooth!

Ali September 3, 2012 at 12:28 PM

I just made this “bread” and it’s great! It really is the consistency of bread and is nice and moist. It’s a great alternative to real breads when on paleo and craving a bread.Italk filling and delicious. I only wish the pumpkin flavor was more prominent. But a great recipe!

Carl January 16, 2012 at 8:14 AM

Just made my first loaf of this bread last night. The only thing that didn’t work as advertised was the topping: it was more of a paste than something pourable. I added some water and spread it on the top with a knife.

I was amazed after baking it how much it looked and acted like bread! Its not very sweet, but it got a thumbs up from my wife. I will try it again with even riper bananas to see if I can get a little more sweetness in it. Thanks for the great recipe!

amy@healthyhungryhappy.com August 2, 2011 at 2:27 PM

im making this right now!!! so you find it easy or feel better taking out legumes from ur diet? i love chickpeas and black beans so much i wasnt sure about those…

teabag July 26, 2011 at 1:26 PM

uh-yeah. bookmarking this recipe. looks awesome & i love that it’s unique with the banana swirl! πŸ™‚ thanks, girl!

april July 26, 2011 at 11:59 AM

Bread with no grains?? How awesome is that!!

Pure2raw Twins July 26, 2011 at 4:40 AM

I want a slice! It has two of our all time favorite ingredients – tahini and pumpkin πŸ˜‰ YUMMMMMMMM

Chuck July 25, 2011 at 9:18 PM

This bread looks great. I’m excited for you getting back in to Paleo- I’m 2 weeks in now. Maybe you can help me get better at it! I’m still including dairy, but organic and full fat and raw if I can get it. I’d love to hear your thoughts!

amy@healthyhungryhappy.com July 25, 2011 at 7:05 PM

that looks great, im definitely trying it!! ive had tahini forever (hopefully its still good) and have been looking for ways to use it. Im thinking about adopting a paleo lifestyle too (at least try!) so I love to see the recipes you can use. thanks!

Maryann Tomlin July 25, 2011 at 3:08 PM

Interesting combination pumpkin and banana swirl bread. While it looks healthy, the bananas should be to ripe or the fructose will work against you. Make sure to keep a tab on the sugar levels. However I must say the picture really has has my taste buds puckerin.

Lisa @ I'm an Okie July 25, 2011 at 12:38 PM

I’m honestly impressed that it’s that good! I always want to eat more paleo-ish but it never ends up working that way!

The Teenage Taste July 25, 2011 at 11:27 AM

This looks fabulous!

Lauren @ WWoB July 25, 2011 at 9:30 AM

This is awesome! And I have all the ingredients! A legit paleo recipe for me to try, sans goat cheese πŸ˜‰

Alisa Fleming July 25, 2011 at 8:26 AM

Hmm, I commented, but don’t think it went up! This looks fabulous and we want to do more Paleo here. But I have a dilemma. No almonds or eggs for the husband (and no dairy of course). Any thoughts or ideas??

Veronica Jucknies November 28, 2011 at 11:16 AM

I just recently read about using flax seed as an egg substitute. I think you soak the seeds and the gel that comes off can be used instead of eggs. You can use cashew butter instead of almond butter or just more tahini.

Shanna, Like Banana July 25, 2011 at 8:25 AM

Pumpkin banana bread would make my day!

Katie July 25, 2011 at 7:46 AM

Yum, yum, yum….without the coconut. πŸ˜›

Larry July 25, 2011 at 6:11 AM

This looks really good. Do you have pumpkin available all year? It’s only a seasonal item on the east coast. So, I can make this in about three months from now.

Kelly July 25, 2011 at 5:37 AM

Looks wonderful!!!

Jess@Healthy Exposures July 25, 2011 at 4:56 AM

This looks out. of. this. world. I’ve been avoiding gluten for a bit and have been on the lookout for clever bread/muffin/snack-y recipes. this one is not only clever but looks delicious!

lindsay July 25, 2011 at 3:54 AM

we’ve had to cut back on some grains this week due to some gut issues, so I am all about this bread. I WILL MAKE IT!