Craving Sugar: Low-Sugar Spelt Chocolate Chip Cookies

August 30, 2011

When sugar cravings strike, I’m usually quite helpless. I give in easily. I’m overcome with sweetness. I’m in need of a cookie.

I feel ok about giving my body what it wants because what it wants and what it gets is usually homemade, gooey, low sugar, soooo good, and added with love (<–it really is the secret ingredient in everything, ya know).

Simple yet so pleasing. A recipe-remake from a Mylk ‘n Cookies kinda gal.

Inspiration is so sweet, isn’t it?

Low-Sugar Spelt Chocolate Chip Cookies

makes 10 low-sugar wonderful cookies. vegan if you’re not particular about using honey.

• 3/4 cup spelt flour
  • 1/2 cup coconut flour
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp baking soda
  • 1/4 tsp sea salt
  • 1 cup almond milk
  • 1/4 cup raw honey
  • 1/3 cup NuNaturals Baking Blend (or sugar substitute)
  • 1 tbsp vanilla extract
  • 1 tbsp chia seeds (just because and optional)
  • 1/2 cup Enjoy Life Gluten and Dairy Free Chocoalte Chips

Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and preheat yourย oven to 350 degrees.

Combine all ingredients in a large bowl. If needed, add a dash or two more almond milk for mixing.

Form dough into balls and press down slightly to flatten. Bake for 12-15 minutes or until slightly golden brown.

Remove from the oven and enjoy!

These aren’t your every day chocolate chip cookies. They’re less sweet than normal cookies so if you’re wanting a sweeter cookie, simply add more honey or a bit of maple sugar.

I made these cookies on Sunday night. By the time I got home from work on Monday at 2 pm(!!) they were gone. Grrrrr and frustration. Guess they were good.

Pure2raw twins August 31, 2011 at 4:50 PM

YUM! We have been making lots of chocolate chip cookies over here, love them! and we love not to sweet things, so these sound perfect

Kelsey @ Snacking Squirrel August 31, 2011 at 3:49 PM

so it’s true, one can have their chocolate chip cookie and eat it too!!! these look fabulous… and you would never guess by looking at them that they are not as sweet as their counterparts ๐Ÿ˜‰

xoxo <3

Ela August 30, 2011 at 12:50 PM

Sounds so good–and I love your permission to indulge in homemade goodiness!

I can’t do spelt, but I’m pretty sure that I could sub out with sorghum. Love the inclusion of coconut and chia also!

Alisa Fleming August 30, 2011 at 9:48 AM

Yah for spelt flour!

amy@healthyhungryhappy.com August 30, 2011 at 9:09 AM

oh man these look amazing!!

yo yo mama August 30, 2011 at 8:20 AM

As your mama, I have to say that I am happy that you are making “your” goodies for us here at home right now. And I LOVE being your sampler. Yum. Those cookies that missed were very good!

Katie August 30, 2011 at 6:02 AM

They look like the perfect amount of sweetener to me. I bet you could make them with oat flour and not even have to bake them….hmmmm?

Kelly August 30, 2011 at 5:58 AM

WOW! Those looks awesome!!!

Alyson @ Nourished Fitness August 30, 2011 at 5:45 AM

These look perfect.. and I randomly happen to have spelt flour at the moment.. just need to pick up some chocolate chips ๐Ÿ˜‰

Angela @ Mylk 'n Cookies August 30, 2011 at 4:49 AM

These look awesome!! I love your take with the coconut flour and chia, and what beautiful photos ๐Ÿ˜€ definitely a version I’ll be picking up. Thanks for the post!

( btw, made your green smoothie this morning = <3)

Jess@Healthy Exposures August 30, 2011 at 4:26 AM

Yummy! You’ve done it again :} Honestly, these are probably perfectly sweetened…I’m always cutting back or even eliminating sugar in most cookie recipes anyway – at least, if I’m making them for myself. And yes – when I want a cookie? I need a cookie!