My 7-Day Cleanse. What’s Yours?

September 14, 2011

I’m starting a 7-day cleanse, starting last Friday. And I’m feelin’ the cleansing actions hitting my brain right about now because I’m slightly irritable and ready for the cleanse to end.

The health club I’m working at has weight management classes called, Transitions Lifestyle System. It’s a company that is designed to help people learn the proper way to eat, portion size, and really just the truth about food, all while learning to eat low GI. For example, the program classes are in a group setting and run for 12 weeks. Each week is a different topic with incredible information on things like label reading, supplements, making small lifestyle changes, etc. Each program participant has a guide/nutrition book and food journal. Each week, participants watch a short video with TONS of information for the topic of that week’s class then a discussion is started to go over the information. At the beginning of each session, journals are gathered and the past week’s worth of food entries, water intake, and notes are read by the class instructor with little notes being made.

It’s a good system and the program is simple yet incredibly informative. Especially for anyone struggling with losing weight or wanting to know more about nutrition. So why not? I decided to dive into the first week of this new group of “students” and take on just the detox week with them…

And that also means, no weight lifting. Blah. (I miss it! But I’m not about to burn my hard-earned muscle without more food!)

The 7-Day Cleanse: Vegetable and fruits only. Fruits are limited to 3 per day and vegetable are unlimited but no higher starch veggies (think potatoes, yams, corn, etc.). After 3 days a person may add in 3 oz of a lean protein source a day. Sound fun, right? 64 oz of water per day (although, I drink way more), wait 3 hours between meals, NO fat, no sugar, no caffeine, no dairy, no protein. No problem.

I’m hungry.

I’m also sick of vegetable. A statement I never though I would ever EVER write, speak, or even think. But yeah, I’m a little tired of them… at least with no fat. Seasonings are ok but with limited salt and vinegars.

So, I’m on day 6 today with one day left. How am I doing so far?

Super crabby at times, my blood sugar has been dipping like crazy since I can’t eat every 3 hours (and trust me, I get mean when that happens). I’m slightly hungry throughout the day and I miss baking like you wouldn’t believe. BUT, yep, there’s a but, I feel lighter (duh), definitely cleaner, and hydrated.

Lots of Celestial Teas. My favorite! And life savers.

I’ve added a little raw, plant protein in my morning fruit and veggie smoothies since I have an active job (which I was told is ok), so that’s keeping me sane. I’m just really excited for Friday when I can whip up some yummy creations in the kitchen.

Not to say I haven’t made some bomb food items this week (all fat-free!):

Fat-Free Cumin Tomato & Veggie Soup

Tomato, Basil, & Cucumber Salad with Blackberry Vinegar

Squash Stir Fry

Wild Mushroom & Veggie Stir Fry

I’m trying to keep things interesting and eat a variety of vegetables (with recipes coming the next few days). And I must say, I’ve stuck to the cleanse pretty closely, although I will admit, I broke down and a spoonful of almond butter last night. I had to. Seriously. And I think listening to my body and recognizing when I truly needed more, is a good thing. I’ve also been eating more than 3 fruits per day. Oh well.

So, that’s my cleanse. A few years ago I got really into raw and vegan foods and did a 21-day raw food cleanse (which I LOVED). I ended up extending the “cleanse” of raw foods to 3 months and loved the way I felt. My goal is to get back to eating more of a plant based diet because, for me, I know I feel the best and look the best (I love that glow I noticeably got) when I eat mostly plant based. And there is absolutely nothing wrong with mixing things up once in a while. 😉

So, that’s my small cleanse story… what’s yours??

Erin April 1, 2012 at 10:15 PM

Hey Lori! What would the serving size of fruit be? I’m thinking of trying out this cleanse that you posted.. Thinking fruit for breakfast then veggies all day long like you suggested… Thx!

Heather @ kissmybroccoli September 21, 2011 at 7:46 PM

Wow girl…just wow! That is a crap-ton of self discipline! Screw the almond butter, I’d be ready to chew my own arm off after day one! If I did something like that, I’d probably have to get my coworkers to sign a waiver promising not to slap me across the face for morphing into total b!tch mode! Haha!

I have been toying around with the idea of a cleanse of some sort…I’ve been eating way too many sweets lately and my cravings are insane…but I just haven’t found the right one yet. Any suggestions on one that’s not so hardcore? 😉

Kristina @ spabettie September 17, 2011 at 9:41 PM

you know we did our juice fast (feast!) and we learned that the first 3 or 4 days there is still food in your system – I think after that was “passed” (hee hee!) we felt less cranky! and the drinking juice only wasn’t a problem for either of us – in fact it was harder once we started eating again – if we wanted to eat one meal and then continue on the fast, it was starting over.

we LOVED it though, and plan to do it again, every 6 months or so? sometimes we’ll go a couple days of juice + raw food until dinner, that makes us feel great too!

I agree with you – eating a raw diet makes us feel FANTASTIC! 😀

Pure2raw Twins September 14, 2011 at 7:29 PM

yay for being almost done with your cleanse, we are on day 2 of ours! it is going alright haha we keep saying to ourselves when is it going to be over LOL but really we know what we are doing is great for our body at this moment in time and know that we will be able to expand our eats here soon!! patience right 😉 xoxo

Ela September 14, 2011 at 2:38 PM

Wow, that’s a pretty intense cleanse. I’m glad you’re almost through with it, and glad you listened to your body despite.

You made some beautiful things as a part of it! Watch this space for Lori giving nutritional counseling as part of the health club system??

Kelly September 14, 2011 at 2:19 PM

I honestly do not have that kind of willpower. No way. No how. But I am glad it is working for you!!

Amber Shea @Almost Vegan September 14, 2011 at 10:46 AM

That’s quite a strict cleanse! Good for you for sticking mostly to it. I too find it VERY hard to cut out fats entirely – any time I’ve tried for any period of time, I find myself binging on cashews not long afterward. =X

Pamela @ girlgonewestblog.com September 14, 2011 at 8:42 AM

Maybe when my half marathon training’s over, I’ll do a cleanse (certainly can’t right now – 10 mile run on only veggies? Miserable). I’ve wanted to for a while, but I marvel at your willpower to stick to it. I’m not sure I have that kind of self control. But it would be a good challenge, eh? Good luck with you final days!

lindsay September 14, 2011 at 8:37 AM

i have to do that gallbadder flush/cleanse this weekend and it looks very similar but its not nearly as long. thank goodness. You’d think we’d never be sick of vegetables, but i guess there is such thing as too much of a good thing. haha.

amy@healthyhungryhappy.com September 14, 2011 at 6:53 AM

That’s great! We’re moving in a week to Colorado and I feel like thats the perfect time to “start over.” So, maybe I’ll try some sort of clean eating cleanse when we move. Thanks for the inspiration!

Kat September 14, 2011 at 6:28 AM

Kudos to you girl for even trying this. There is NO way I could manage this!! I actually had some veggies the other day topped with a bit of cheese and was suprised at how well they held me over, but there is NO way I could do that all day for 7 days!! Man Im hungry just thinking about it. Which is probably why I stay away from cleanses, unless it is a simple one like cutting sugar or caffeine!