Oct
2011

CrossFit Meets Paleo Apple Cinnamon Protein Pancakes

16 comments

Looking for a breakfast recipe that’s absolutely delicious?

I do believe you came to the right place.

Are you looking for a great workout in a short amount of time?

Well, you’re in luck! I can help you with that.

Welcome to What Runs Lori where recipes fuel workouts. Where CrossFit meets Paleo. And where delicious is a way of living. Everyday.

I’m a huge fan of working out first thing in the morning. I just love it. I love waking up before the rest of the world and starting my day the right way: with a workout! …And then breakfast. So…

Let’s start with a heart-pumping, muscle-engaging, wonderfully short workout!

The main workout is timed and you’re shooting for your best time. Take short breaks as needed but give this workout some intensity! The secret to results is consistency and intensity! Enjoy!

What Runs Lori 15-Minute Workout

Warm up:

• 10 squats
  • 60 second forearm plank
  • 20 high knees
  • 10 reverse lunges, each leg
  • REPEAT 3 TIMES

Workout:

• 400 meter run (1/4 mile)
  • 10 dumbbell bent over row to overhead press (15-40 lbs dumbbells)
  • 25 kettlebell swings (30-55 lbs kettlebells)
  • (REPEAT rows/presses/swings 3 TIMES)
  • 400 meter run

Example: Do the 400 meter run, followed by 10 dumbbell rows to overhead presses, 25 kettlebell swings, then repeat for a total of 3 times. End with a 400 meter run.

Ready? Set… GO!

Don’t forget to refuel! Grab some healthy protein and carbs!

These Paleo Cakes turned out incredibly delicious. A perfect balance of sweet and salty along with warm, festive flavors of apple cinnamon.

I’m telling you, these are g o o d. Be warned though, these are crumbly and fall-aparty. I’ll work on perfecting these but in the meantime, the taste is still To-Be-Tried!

What time of the day do you like working out? Is it early in the morning, before the world wakes up?

Or do you enjoy ending your day with a sweat?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pssst! Pass it on...
Facebook Twitter Email Gmail Pinterest Delicious Stumbleupon Tumblr Digg

Hi everyone, I'm and this is my blog What Runs Lori.

Like it? Love it? Want some more of it? Subscribe now! You can also find me on Facebook and Twitter!

Contact Me!

Ela October 14, 2011 at 9:18 AM

First thing in the morning is awesome–but everything’s better first thing in the morning. I wonder if some flax would make those pannies stay together better?
Ela´s last blog post ..FFF-Inspired Pumpkin-Carrot-Cake-Bread

amy@healthyhungryhappy.com October 14, 2011 at 9:36 AM

awesome workout and pancakes!! trying both!
amy@healthyhungryhappy.com´s last blog post ..Chocolate Covered Banana Ice Cream.

Christin@purplebirdblog October 14, 2011 at 5:12 PM

You’re my hero! <3
Christin@purplebirdblog´s last blog post ..JUICED!

Lori October 17, 2011 at 7:37 AM

No, YOU are my hero!

tea-bagginit October 14, 2011 at 7:55 PM

if i don’t get my workout in first thing in the day, it’s not going to happen – i’m one of those people at the gym at 5am!
ps – crumbly delicious pancakes = delicious scramble
tea-bagginit´s last blog post ..a little less bloat, a little more hope

yo yo mama October 14, 2011 at 9:15 PM

The pancakes, what I had of them, were tasty. Definitely, all this food is an acquired taste for those (most) of Americans who have eaten differently all their lives.
Questions: how important is it to get some food into you BEFORE those heavy duty workouts? I would think it would be very important, after a whole night of no nutrition.

Lori October 17, 2011 at 7:37 AM

I like this question!

Geoff March 31, 2012 at 7:38 PM

It is actually a good thing to work out without any food in your system. Your human growth hormone is secreted in much higher amounts when you work out on an empty stomach. HGH is responsible for maintaining and building muscle, and studies have shown that you will break down more fat working out on an empty stomach. Everyone promotes eating 6 meals a day but its better to give your digestive tract a rest. 3 high protein meals a day is preferred. Also focus on healthy fats and limiting grain carbohydrates (safe starches include brown rice, sweet potatoes, and potatoes). Hope this helps! (btw, I am highly involved with martial arts and am completing my master’s in nutrition)

Pure2raw twins October 15, 2011 at 1:16 PM

pancakes sound wonderful! crumbs and all :)

hey, I do have a question, since you workout first thing in the morning, do you eat anything before?

thanks
Michelle
Pure2raw twins´s last blog post ..minty morning

Lori October 17, 2011 at 7:36 AM

I do eat before I work out. I usually have a banana and almond butter or dates and almond butter. Just something to start my metabolism. I don’t think you (or at least I) should wait too long to eat after waking up. Especially when doing a hard workout. What do you think?

Pure2raw twins October 17, 2011 at 7:48 AM

yes I agree about having a little something before working out. lately I do not get to workout first thing like I used to, so now I have a little bigger breakfast like chia pudding or buckwheat cereal or something. But used to love having a dates with coconut oil.
Pure2raw twins´s last blog post ..wedding inspirations

Tim Huntley December 21, 2011 at 3:15 PM

Thanks for the recipe Lori! Question: What is the main reason you use egg whites vs. whole eggs in this recipe?

Thanks,

…Tim
Tim Huntley´s last blog post ..Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness: Is it a Good Thing?

Lori December 22, 2011 at 7:29 AM

Absolutely no reason other than that I was given a lot of egg whites. You could use either- whole eggs would be great with this, as it adds a little more substance and a less crumbly consistency.