Paleo Crust-On-Top Orange Spiced Pumpkin Pie

November 23, 2011

Happy Day-Before-Thanksgiving! It’s Wednesday and for some it’s already your weekend. For others, it’s your Friday. Tomorrow we take thanks for all that we have been given, all that we have, and all that we can do. Tomorrow we also gorge ourselves on overly fattened, much to sweet, out of control amounts of food and I can tell you right now, I’m not sure I’m looking forward to all the food that I haven’t made myself. Although, I think I’ll live. 😉

For my pre-Thanksgiving, I decided to make a pumpkin pie that was based more on health than on sugary filling. I searched far and wide for a healthy pie recipe, and although most aren’t too bad with the ingredients (pumpkin pie is your best bet when choosing from all the pies), I did find one recipe that looked easy and healthy. This recipe is adapted from a recipe by Marks Daily Apple for pumpkin pie, although if you know me, you know I have to change EVERYTHING. I’m that annoying person at a restaurant.

Anyway, back to the pie. Since Thanksgiving reminds me of Pumpkin Pie, filling your stomach like the poor overly stuffed turkey in the oven, and those nasty casserole dishes with sweet potatoes covered in brown sugar and mini marshmallows (oh, bad memories from childhood…), I went with the Pumpkin Pie to say have a wonderful Thanksgiving.

This pie is fun to make, EASY to make, definitely healthy, tastes incredible, and can be topped with just about anything, since it’s crustless to begin with. The orange zest, juice, and cinnamon work amazingly well together with the pumpkin spices. This is one recipe you MUST try, whether it’s Thanksgiving or not. The filling is already Paleo-approved but make it 100% with a slight adjustment to the cobbler topping (recipe given in directions). Have fun and eat to health!

Serve with a dollop of Greek yogurt and some berries, and you’ve got yourself dessert.

What does Thanksgiving remind you of?

gloria leibbrandt October 2, 2015 at 6:37 AM

Lori, is there a way to substitute steel cut oats for rolled oats in baking?

Patrick Santos October 6, 2015 at 8:03 PM

Hi Gloria, yes! You can sub steel cut oats for rolled oats. I would try soaking the steel cut oats for about an hour in water beforehand to soften them but it should work. Please try it out and let me know how it goes!

Ela November 24, 2011 at 1:30 PM

Sounds yummy! And for some reason, the pictures made me think that it was baked inside a pumpkin skin–that would look cool too.

I’m at the airport and in transit–didn’t grow up with Thanksgiving anyway and glad to miss the gorge-aspect of it. What is it about marshmallows on yams? That just seems so gross to me…

Reply November 24, 2011 at 8:30 AM

looks awesome!! I gotta get back into paleo…after thanksgiving of course :).

Chuck November 23, 2011 at 8:24 PM

teabagginit November 23, 2011 at 5:31 PM

man, this looks AMAZING … and oats … does this mean i can make it for breakfast? :) i might actually make this for j’s breakfast this weekend! don’t be mad … but i’m also going to take credit! :) hahha

Christin@purplebirdblog November 23, 2011 at 12:31 PM

I kinda want to submerge myself in that filling 😉

Jen@FoodFamilyFitness November 23, 2011 at 11:37 AM

ooooo! This looks SO good!!! I’m pinning it right now so I remember :)

Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table November 23, 2011 at 11:21 AM

Great interpretation – love the addition of coconut. I don’t actually like traditional pumpkin pie, so this is perfect for me. I’m getting my pumpkin in today too – started out with a pumpkin oatmeal bake… then a smoothie… it’s what happens when you roast a GIANT pumpkin. :)