Paleo Table (on Good Day Sac)

December 29, 2011

Well, my 15 minutes of fame are over and things have calmed down some (in my life). It was seriously so much fun working with Amy Carabba and Scott, the camera man, with Good Day Sacramento. Just slightly freaking out beforehand, everything went very well.

Although I didn’t have a chance to really talk or say anything even remotely intelligible, I still got to showcase my food. But what I did not get to do was go over what I made! So sadly, I didn’t even take any pictures! But luckily I had friends and family there supporting me with their iPhone pics.

Here is what I made for Good Day Sacramento:

Sundried Tomato Turkey Sliders on a bed of lettuce

Incredible Lemon-Honey Egg Salad in red cabbage cups

Greek yogurt was used instead of mayo

(Super blurry) Vanilla Creme Parfaits with Fresh Raspberries and Blueberries, topped with Nut Crumble

Mini Chocolate Almond Butter Tartlets, topped with Goji berries

and Cinnamon Nut Kisses (the little guys with the chocolate chips on top)

Giant Chocolate Coconut Almond Butter Cup

and last, but not least:

The Infamous Turkey Chimichanga Cupcake!

These were the little savory cupcakes Amy was trying on, and off, camera, crumbs falling from her mouth in the process. The woman is somewhat shameless and totally awesome. haha.

Have I mentioned yet that you can pick up all these recipes and MORE and help out a great charity by grabbing your Resolution Recipes eBook?

I’ve gotten a lot of new readers since this aired and have gotten even more questions about eating Paleo. Let’s cover the basics.

Paleo includes fresh vegetables, fruits, lean meats, and healthy fats, such as coconut oil and coconut products, nuts, and seeds. This is not necessarily a low carbohydrate diet. You’re still getting plenty of carbs in the form of vegetables like sweet potatoes, squash, etc., and all fruits.

Some people following Paleo consume dairy, while others do not. I do not drink milk but I will eat some Greek yogurt or goat cheese. This is somewhat a personal preference.

What Paleo excludes or greatly limits is grains, legumes, wheat, sugars, processed or refined anything. What this means is oats, barley, white and wheat bread, beans, peanuts, table sugar, doughnuts (regular ones, not my Paleo ones!), pasta, and all the like, are not included.

With all of this said, I eat Paleo, but my religion is not Paleo. I eat by a Paleo diet but if one day I want a spoonful of homemade peanut butter a friend has made, I’m going to eat it. Personally, if I tell myself I cannot have something, especially with the word FOREVER, mentally, I’m going to fail.

Why set yourself up for failure? Don’t think of a Paleo diet, or ANY other diet, a one-way, “don’t break any rules” way of eating or thinking. That is where you will find yourself obsessing about food and maybe even ending up failing. And we all want winning and succeeding!

A Paleo “diet” works for me because I have tried it, stuck with it, and seen results. BUT, you may try it, stick with it, and not see results. That is ok and actually great news- now you can try something new that will work with your body. We all have different bodies- what works for me, may not work for you. But if you don’t try it and STICK TO IT (which is key) then you won’t know if it works for you.

Ok, my rant is over. What do you think? Are “diets” or lifestyles one-size-fits-all? What ways of eating have worked for you?

What is the best advice you can give someone looking for a new “diet” or new lifestyled way of eating?

taxi hire perth November 28, 2015 at 10:57 AM

Years of service give you a perception of credibility and experience.
Alicante Airport sits 10 miles outside of the city center connected to
fantastic modern roads linking the neighboring regions and towns, its approximately 90 kilometers away
from La Manga del Mar Menor, roughly 50 minutes drive and there are excellent airport transfer companies offering
quick simple transport to you holiday destinations.
Karl had an itinerary all planned out for their holiday and he wanted
to show her just how beautiful the city was.

Linda Denton December 30, 2011 at 11:21 PM

Lori,Congratulations on the exposure. I’ve been looking into the diet by Caldwell Esselstyn based on the ‘China Study’. There is a documentary on it called ‘Forks over Knives’ it can be seen on Netflix. Basically, no milk, no meat, no sugar, etc. My bible study friends have been on it and have seriously reduced their blood sugar and cholesterol levels. They’ve all dropped a lot of weight too. I just don’t know if I can do it… I liked what you had to say about not restricting yourself to not giving something up for the rest of your life. It makes me not want to start just knowing I’m going to fail again. Keep up the good work! I’m proud of you!

Jen@FoodFamilyFitness December 30, 2011 at 5:13 AM

I think everyone needs to try what works for them, for me it’s weight watchers. I know that’s not for everyone, but the good news is that I get a lot of my meal “paelo style,” so it’s a win-win in my book!!!

Mike Paleo December 30, 2011 at 3:26 AM

Paleo opens up everything that is or once was living, and consuming as near to its living state as possible. Though there is an element of the paleo community who advocate raw meat, most would not go near and I’m personally one of them. So in general things to eat and drink are anything not processed and containing refined carbohydrate and/or additives. A simple assessment is to ask yourself is, if a caveman or even your Grandmother were looking at it would they know it was food. Biggies are grains (cereal, pastas, rice, flours) avoid like the plague (oops they are!), dairy in moderation if raw dairy and your not lactose intolerant. Once free of an addiction to refined sugars it is likely you will begin to establish a fondness for fruit, be careful how much you eat especially smoothies as this will certainly scupper weight loss. In order of proportional quantities macronutrients are Fat, Protein, Carbohydrate. Levels of carbohydrate can be increased according to activity and extent of weight loss required. Don’t bother with exercise until metabolism has stabilised and sense of well being is experienced. Use exercise to improve fitness and not for weight loss, weight loss is entirely possible with a paleo style diet alone. With regard to expense, many talk of cost as a reason for not doing paleo, this frankly is a load of baloney and the reason is this. Granted there is much more to a real food diet than weight loss as this could even be described as a by-product of eating what you were meant to eat, other benefits of this diet are related to avoiding foods that make us sick not just fat. You will achieve a good proportion of this by removing all processed foods from your diet, weight loss is achieved by limiting overall carbohydrate loading. However and here is where the costs for many, can get out of control, to remove all refined carbohydrate from your diet is expensive as it involves avoiding consumption of all intensively farmed animals as these animals are fattened using refined sugars, flours etc. By consuming these animals i.e. standard beef and pork from the supermarket you will be ingesting some of the anti-nutrients/toxins this diet tries to avoid for optimal health. Though this is far better than saying sod it it’s too expensive can’t do it. As you can see there are personal choices to make, though paleo is very adaptable and can be done on any budget. A good tip is get to know your supermarket habits for marking down stock such as prime beef, lamb and fish nearing sell-by dates and buy as much as you can afford or get in your freezer. When embarking on this type of diet some suffer carb withdrawal, this is your body stabilising after being dependant on sugar, it doesn’t happen to all and didn’t happen to me but Katie my wife did feel a bit crap for a few days when we first started. As for things like colds n flu well these will be a thing of the past, I used to suffer one or the other every other month, it felt like I was always had the sniffles, though that was before paleo, since adopting a proper diet I have not been sick or had a cold or felt rough once. Hope this helps anyone wanting to improve their well being. There’s dozens of related articles and generally helpful stuff on our blog, feel free to take a look. Good luck and all the best on what I’m sure you’ll look back on and see as one of the best choices you ever made.

Ela December 29, 2011 at 8:39 PM

Congrats again–so cool to see this blooming.

I think the 80-20 guideline is a fine idea–that you can “do something different” 20% of the time and still reap the benefits of the program you’re on. The longer you’re on the program, chances are, the healthier your “other 20%” will be.

tea-bagginit December 29, 2011 at 7:42 PM

wow, i’m seriously impressed – those dishes look awesome! congrats on the coverage and on doing such a great job! you deserve it!

Emily December 29, 2011 at 5:45 PM

I really needed this post today. I have been doing A LOT of research on the Paleo diet (compulsive over researcher) and I was seriously terrified of giving up dairy. I think this was the push I may have needed, knowing it’s not “FOREVER”. 🙂

Pure2raw twins December 29, 2011 at 5:09 PM

“Personally, if I tell myself I cannot have something, especially with the word FOREVER, mentally, I’m going to fail.” – well said and so true. we are the same way! we love your approach to Paleo and any ‘diet’ for that matter 🙂
everyone just needs to figure out what works for them and makes them feel their best and be happy!!!
xoxo

Mama Samaan December 29, 2011 at 4:43 PM

eat less 🙂

Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table December 29, 2011 at 1:26 PM

I completely agree with you on the “rules” of diets. When I am too strict, I end up failing miserably. As someone who truly loves food and trying different things, I find that limiting myself too much is setting up for failure.