(Avocado Coconut) Cowboy Cookies

January 19, 2012

I know what you’re thinking… Avocado? Cowboy? What on Earth?

You know what I’m thinking… Ah, the weirder the better. :)

And I can assure you and me both that these cookies rock. They’re light, fluffy, gluten-free, dairy-free, grain-free, lowish carb, and yummy. They are cookies, of course they are yummy. I wouldn’t make a cookie that wasn’t… or at least I wouldn’t post it, as sometimes even Lori’s produce sub-par baked goods.

But not these! These are good. And I have been enjoying them as a mid-morning snack just about every day. Guilt-free, mind you. Yup, they have chocolate chips in them, but that just adds to the complexity of my snacking. 😉

Don’t you just love how I make up random babble??

Why I used these ingredients:

Avocado: Avocado was used in replace of added oils or fat. The natural, healthy fat in the avocados acts to moisten the cookie and give it a buttery texture and taste.

Banana: Bananas act as a binder, helping the batter stick together. They keep the cookie nice and moist, and give them a slightly sweeter taste without adding tons of sugar.

Coconut: Healthy fats, again! And a bit of a crunch factor. If coconut doesn’t float your boat, feel free to leave these out, if you wish.

Sea salt: Delish! Don’t forget to add salt to your baked goods. Salt, sea salt in particular, adds minerals and enhances the flavor of foods. Salt and make or break a recipe or dish. Don’t be afraid to use salt- if you’re not eating processed foods, you’re not going to consume too much sodium.

Apple cider vinegar: This helps the cookies become fluffy when baking gluten-free baked goods. Don’t ask me why…

Honey: Because it’s yummy, adds complexity, and isn’t process, white sugar. You may sub with any sweetener you’d like.

Cowboy: Because I created these cookies based off of a recipe for Cowboy Cookies from Gluten Free By Nature. She has some crazy-great recipes.

Yummy. :)

Don’t forget to enter the Nacheez giveaway!!!!

ilona September 7, 2015 at 10:17 AM

Apple cider vinegar activates the baking powder, giving the rise to your baked goods.

scotty August 13, 2015 at 3:30 AM

A teaspoon of salt is way too much. Totally spoiled and waste of expensive ingredients.
Are you sure its a teaspoon? and not a pinch.
And I do know the difference between a tea spoon and a table spoon.

Lori August 13, 2015 at 7:57 AM

Apologies! I am changing the salt amount to 1/4-1/2 tsp salt. I agree, that’s probably WAY too much. I probably mis-wrote that amount on the ingredient list. I’m glad you saw that but SO sorry that you made these with the incorrect amount.

Ally January 29, 2015 at 5:05 PM

WOW!! I made the cookies as listed, but used a mixer before I added the coconut and choc. chips.. They are SO YUMMY!! I haven’t had a Paleo or even a GF baked good this yummy yet (and I’ve had a lot!!!) Great job!!!! I don’t think these will last long! :)

technologymarketanalysis.com October 23, 2014 at 7:58 AM

They are a very good way to promote business
service. Today, lots of websites and blogs bring in unheard of income for their owners merely by promoting another’s company on their web pages.
To report stolen email addresses at Yahoo, click Yahoo.

Lisa Pozzobon April 4, 2014 at 7:52 AM

These were SOOOO watery when I followed everything exactly.
I had to add like twice the amount of flower that the recipe called for.
I baked for 20 mins and they were a bit dry :(

Robyn February 3, 2014 at 9:17 PM

Mine are always runny, but that is fine, they bake up nicely, although I only use 1 heaped tablespoon and watch them closely. Taste great and everyone paleo or non paleo love them!

Candice December 10, 2013 at 1:47 PM

So I just tried making two batches of these ….they both turned out really runny! Not like dough at all
Any thoughts on what I’m doing wrong???

Lori January 23, 2014 at 7:13 PM

Interesting. Sorry they didn’t turn out!! I wonder if the coconut flour density was different- that tends to be the very first thing that makes a difference. The amount of liquid with coconut flour is tricky. IF you’re willing to try it one more time, I would suggest decreasing the amount of almond milk by at least half (so maybe start out with 1/4- 1/2 cup almond milk) and/or increasing the amount of almond flour. Also, the bananas in this really help to keep things together… hope you try these again, as they are some of my favorite cookies!

Ronda November 17, 2013 at 8:08 PM

I made these tonight for me and my 7 year old. I put some pecans in mine to give it a bit of a crunch. I used coconut milk and 65% cacao chocolate chips. My son and I loved them. Thank you so much for sharing this.

Crystal October 1, 2013 at 5:43 PM

Just made these and they turned out great just the right ingredients and my sugar loving chocolate eating father in law loved them also and was very surprised to find out the ingredients!

Renee July 8, 2013 at 7:12 PM

Does anyone know why my cookies turned a black/green color the next day? They taste good, but they look gross. Also, my flour soaked up all the milk. I had to add more.

Lori August 25, 2013 at 7:55 AM

Coconut flour can soak up a LOT of liquid and sometimes the different brands of flours vary. I’ve had recipes where I’ve made them twice, three times, always adding in a slight difference in liquid.

The green/black color, no doubt, was from the avocado. Should definitely still be good though! 😉

ilona September 7, 2015 at 10:16 AM

I agree avocado could be the culprit, although if undercooked, banana can darken, as well, especially if you used brown banana to start.

Kristy May 14, 2013 at 3:56 PM

Hi there,
Was really excited to try these for some girls that are coming over. However, I decided to make my own coconut flour as I couldn’t come to pay the price for it at the grocery store. Epic fail! I had put some coconut in the food processor to make my own flour. However it turned out more sugary than flour like. When I put all the ingredients together it was more like a soup rather than a dough. I ended up adding in regular flour (which completely undid all intentions of making a gluten free treat) to get it back to a dough consistency. Would I have had better luck if I had used the store bought coconut flour? Guess I’ll find out if the cookies turn out as they are in the oven as we speak. 😉

Mike May 5, 2013 at 5:06 PM

We substituted almond milk with lightly diluted full fat coconut milk….maybe that helped thicken things up….Turned out perfect! Thanks for the recipe!!!

yvonne richards March 6, 2013 at 8:25 PM

Do you have a cook book that I could buy for my nook? To night was the 1st time I’ve heard of whole 30. I was at a visition at the furreal home of all place’s ans a young man was so excited about how this has changed his life and also his wife’s life. So here I am and I need to get with the program.I’m 62 and work as a C,E.N.A. for hospice I work long days and drive over 75 to 125 miles a day. My health is getting me down. My heart rate was way to high now I’m seeing 4 Drs. So I can not extrasize so I need to eat healthy. Please help me if at all possible. My husband is 69 and need help also. I do not think these are the golden years.I do believe if we eat different they may be, I’m 5′ 3′ and 205 . I can not believe it. I enjoyed your pages. Thank you for caring about others. I do believe that’s whay I love hospice.I treat them the way I want to be treated.And that’s like a queen..For real..LOL Thank you again..I’ll be looking forwards from hearing from you.. Bless you…Yvonne R I do hope this is a privete message.,,,Many thanks.

pb January 31, 2013 at 11:15 AM

Hi, Just wondering why you’ve chosen to use coconut flour over other gluten-free flours….we are new to gluten-free baking and haven’t tried any. Thanks!

Lori October 26, 2013 at 7:44 AM

Coconut flour is just a great replacement for gluten AND grain free. It’s also pretty high in protein, low in carbs, and SUPER high in fiber. It’s a fun variation to play with, too. If you’re following a strick Paleo diet then coconut or almond flour would be your go-to “flours”.

Thanks! Hope that helped!

Bob January 15, 2013 at 8:02 AM

Hi Lori. Thanks for the recipe. Do you think these would still be as good using almond flour? I don’t have the coconut flour and almond is handy. Your thoughts? Thanks!

Kristin January 14, 2013 at 6:36 PM

Finally a paleo cookie recipe that doesn’t need a food processor! & they are amazing! Wish I would have found them sooner!

Lori January 20, 2013 at 8:29 AM

Glad you found them now. :)

Mary C January 14, 2013 at 9:58 AM

Lori these look amazing. I will try very soon and let you know how they turn out!

Lori January 20, 2013 at 8:30 AM

Great! Please do!

Stephanie January 13, 2013 at 5:56 PM

I just made these and had the same problem with the runny liquid batter. Not sure how 1 cup almond milk and 1 cup flour wouldn’t turn out runny? Am I missing something here. Anyways, I just added a lot more flour and made them into muffins instead. They were yummy. Fun experiment. Thanks for the idea.

Lori January 20, 2013 at 8:36 AM

I think when I made them, the type of coconut flour I used soaked up a LOT of liquid- hence the large amount of almond milk.. but I have noticed that coconut flours are NOT made equal and some soak up more, some soak up less liquid.. sorry they didn’t turn into cookies for you but I’m glad you were able to adapt the recipe and made yummy muffins!