Paleo Breakfast: The Cinnamon Roll

January 3, 2012

2012! Another year…

Wooo hooo!

Time to start this puppy off right- with breakfast!

Oh no, no, no, not just any breakfast.

A breakfast of a gluten, grain, and dairy-free cinnamon roll. A personal sized cinnamon roll. And a Paleo Cinnamon Roll at that.

Note: It’s not burnt, it’s golden. Trust me.

Although the pretty, personal Paleo Cinnamon Roll tasted wonderful and was super easy to prepare, it didn’t hold up to my expectations. It was great, but it completely opened up while baking. Oh well, that only means I get to make it again to “trial” a varied version.

But, for now, you can get the recipe that is kind of a Cinnamon Roll/crispy baked good that split in the middle (as it is bursting with goodness, don’tcha know).

But wait, you don’t have coconut flour, don’t have a clue what it is, and you have no idea where to get it and why you’re even suppose to use it.

So, first, why use coconut flour over another type of flour?

Coconut flour is dried, unsweetened coconut that has been ground very finely, into a powder. It contains a LOT of fiber and protein but very little carbohydrates. It’s gluten-free, dairy-free, grain-free, and allergy-friendly. If you’re looking to avoid gluten, you’re in the right place using coconut flour.

One thing to note when using coconut flour is that it soaks up a lot of water. If you’re looking to replace other flours with coconut flour, you will probably have to use more liquid than normal.

I use coconut flour for all of the reasons above. It’s very, very filling so a little (smaller servings) goes a long way (like with my bread). I could use gluten-free flour mixes but those do contain grains, which Paleo avoids. Gluten-free flours and coconut flour are both great alternatives to white, gluten-y flours. Just so you know.

If you can’t find coconut flour in the stores near you, or if they’re way more expensive there, like they usually are, get them online. This is the coconut flour I use- get yours here!

Looking for a sweet, yet low glycemic and not sugar loaded, way to welcome the day? You know you are.

Adapted from this recipe and this recipe, I give you…

Moral of the story, get yourself some coconut flour and try something new. Like this gluten-free cinnamon roll!

Nicole Breitung September 17, 2015 at 10:27 AM

Do you think these would work with blueberries or just dried fruit?

Lori September 17, 2015 at 5:00 PM

I think that blueberries would work but they would create more moisture so just keep that in mind when baking. You may need to bake these a bit longer but I say try it! :)

OR you could keep the dried fruit and make a blueberry sauce to go over it. :)

ilona September 7, 2015 at 10:09 AM

I find when using coconut flour, using Xanthan gum and coconut oil reduces the dryness and cracking.

Lori September 10, 2015 at 9:26 AM

Oh! I didn’t know that. I’ll have to try that out. Sounds like a great solution. Thank you for sharing!

Reply February 8, 2015 at 7:34 AM

Wow, I thought this was great, Bookmarked!

Rachel January 25, 2015 at 6:09 PM

I just made this recipe and I enjoyed it! I used 3 tbsp. of coconut flour & 1 tbsp. of olive oil. For the filling I used banana, almond butter, dates & golden raisins. Next time I will probably use berries.

Joanne July 15, 2012 at 4:47 AM

Made this for breakfast this morning and it was FABULOUS!!!!! I subbed apple sauce for the oil and stevia for the honey and it turned out great! I was a little worried when the dough wasn’t, well, dough-y, as with any baked goods made with coconut flour, which 9 times out of 10 end up being huge fails for me. But this turned out exactly like yours, with the gaping hole and everything – made me soooo happy! :) I filled mine with half a sliced banana and fresh blueberries, topped with a glaze made with cashew butter and almond milk. Delicious! Thank you for this recipe! 😀

Lori July 19, 2012 at 8:01 PM

Woo hoo!! I’m SO glad it worked for you and you liked it!!

Joanna April 10, 2012 at 4:48 AM

How much oil did you use?

Amber (@ExSoyCise) February 12, 2012 at 9:16 AM

I made this recipe the other day but I added some almond flour and in the middle I used PB2 (peanut butter) and bananas, then I topped it with even MORE pb2. It was such a nice little afternoon treat! I can’t wait to try it with other fillings! Thank you for the recipe!

Marinka February 8, 2012 at 11:04 PM

These are so yummy! I just made one (with extra cinnamon), with 2 tbsp coconut flour, the dough turned out great and it was very easy to turn into a roll. I cut my roll in half, then put the 2 rolls in a muffin cup each and baked them like that, so they looked more like (mini) cinnamon rolls. Thanks for sharing the recipe!

Kris January 11, 2012 at 12:40 PM

I also had to use a lot more flour than 1 tbsp – they are in the oven right now, can’t wait to try them! :)

Amy January 9, 2012 at 1:41 PM

I had the same problem as Bryan and Eiren – the dough was super “wet” so I sprinkled in some additional flour and we’ll see how it turns out. It was still a really wet dough, it didn’t look like your pic, but I’m hoping it tastes good anyhow. I’ll keep you posted.

eiren January 7, 2012 at 1:35 PM

I had a question about the coconut flour?? I tried this recipe, but with 1 T of coconut flour it was still too watery??

thanks! looks yummy!! Maybe i’ll have better luck next time!

Bryan January 6, 2012 at 6:04 PM

These are really good! However, I had to use 2 tbsp coconut flour to make it work.

Chuck January 3, 2012 at 10:44 PM

What would happen if I left out the baking soda? I can’t wait to try this tomorrow!!

Katie January 3, 2012 at 7:47 PM

This looks so good! Remind mw about this in a week when I get home to the coconut flour I just bought before vacation. And left there. Grrrr.

Reply January 3, 2012 at 6:31 PM

this looks awesome!! need almond extract then im good to go!!

Pure2raw twins January 3, 2012 at 5:39 PM

oh yum! these look great, and love that they are grain free!!

Kris January 3, 2012 at 12:38 PM

oh, Lori you paleo genius. I can’t wait to make this, I want to cancel the rest of my meetings and bake right now! 😀

tea-bagginit January 3, 2012 at 11:40 AM

i am such a coconut flour convert! i can’t get enough of that stuff … i even eat it dry, with veggie dippers. yup, i’m weird!
love this recipe and it’s definitely getting “pinned!”

Jen@FoodFamilyFitness January 3, 2012 at 8:48 AM

My mouth is watering over this goodness!!!! I have it “pinned” so when I get some coconut flour I can make it!

Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table January 3, 2012 at 8:29 AM

I almost cave every time I pass Cinnabon in the airport – they smell so intoxicating!

Can’t wait to try these. I’m not a big dried fruit fan, so I’d like to try it with pecans or almonds and cacao nibs rolled up in the center.

Christin@purplebirdblog January 3, 2012 at 8:59 AM

I second Laura’s filling idea!! 😀

Todd January 3, 2012 at 8:27 AM

MMMMMMmmmmm sounds scrumptious! Definitely gonna have to give this one a try, i LOVE cinnamon rolls! this being a healthier option, does that mean i can eat it all day? i’m sure i can eat cinnamon rolls all day, no problem. 😉

StoriesAndSweetPotatoes January 3, 2012 at 8:01 AM

Oh. My. God. Making soon. Maybe today. Do you think it would work with peanut flour?