The perfect post workout replenishing foods are ones that have bioavailable carbohydrates, protein and amino acids, and nutrients, to help give back to your body what you exercised away.
Your window of refueling those just-worked muscles is 30 minutes to 2 hours. It is ideal to wait at least 30 minutes after a workout to eat, making sure your ……. If you wait longer than 2 hours, you’ve just missed your window. TRY, try, try to get something into your body within 2 hours of intense to moderate exercising. Trust me, you’ll feel much better and you’ll gain so much more from your workout.
The best things to replenish that body you just worked out would be ones that deliver nutrients straight to those recovery-needing muscles (glycogen stores), along with your blood sugar. Some suggestions, based on your diet requirements and goals, would include some of the following:
- Protein shake (protein powder- Whey, rice, pea, hemp, etc., fruit, greens)
- Protein adds muscle building and recovery properties
- Fruit provides quick, nutritious glycogen to cells
- Greens add in even more nutrients, but make sure they are broken down completely- blended or powder form
- Banana and almond butter
- Glycogen, sugar, protein
- Greek yogurt with fruit
- Peanut butter sandwich on whole wheat bread
- Sweet potato and turkey meat
- Protein bar, healthy and balanced ones like CORE Foods bars
- YEP! Cookies… *please see below
Ideally, you’re wanting something that digests semi-quickly, and does not contain too much fiber or fat, both of which slow digestion. Muscle rely on carbohydrates for fuel so your job will be to consuming some protein along with the carbs stimulates faster glycogen replacement. The protein also optimizes muscular repair and growth.
Supercharged Recovery Quinoa Cookies
Makes a lot of cookies. Gluten and dairy free. Adapted from Quinoa Cookies by Brendan Brazier
- 2 ripe bananas
- 1 cup cooked quinoa
- 1 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- 1/4 cup coconut flour
- 1/4 cup chocolate chips (Enjoy Life Chocolate Chips will definitely do the trick)
- 3 tbsp raw honey
- 1 tbsp maca powder
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp salt
Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
In a large bowl, combine all ingredients, mixing well.
On a parchment paper lined baking sheet, drop batter into 2 inch thick rounds.
Bake for 20 minutes. Remove from oven, eat, and replenish those muscles.
E A S Y.
Want more info on muscle building? Check out these tips (here!).
What do you eat/drink for recovery??