Refreshing Lemon Blueberry Coconut Flour Cookies

March 8, 2012

Cookies. They’re what’s for dinner. And breakfast. And snacks.

And trust me, when you find yourself knee deep in a pool full of lemons… or a kitchen loaded with fresh, tree-picked, sweet lemons, you find creative ways to load up recipes with lemons.

Including cookies.

I’ve been putting lemon in/on/around everything I make. In smoothies, on salads, and around cookie batters. My parents’ lemon tree is loaded and ready to use so of course, I’ve been taking bags and bags for my own selfishness. I love lemons and the sweet and sour tang it adds to anything.

I made these cookies last weekend and they were gone in a day. Granted, my sister and her boyfriend enjoyed these babies, one cookie after another, but still, they disappeared quite fast.

I asked my sister to give me a few words or comments about what she thought of the cookies. Her reply, “They’re refreshing…?”

Clearly, she is not the one writing about food.

Anyway, they were refreshing and good and tangy and dotted with tiny little dried wild blueberries that were WAY overpriced.

And these cookies are pretty! They almost look like chocolate chip cookies. 🙂

What do you do with lemons?

P.S. Happy International Women’s Day!

I think most of us women have earned a day. 😉

Gwen September 14, 2014 at 4:14 PM

I made these cookies and followed the recipe exactly but they did not spread – just stayed in a little ball. Anyone know why? Thank you, Gwen

Gwen September 14, 2014 at 3:41 PM

Why didn’t my cookies spread?

///////Gwen

jenn March 27, 2014 at 7:30 PM

Hi! Can I substitute coconut flour instead of gluten free flour?

Wendy @ La Phemme Phoodie January 15, 2013 at 10:39 AM

Hi Lori! I was searching for a citrus infused cookie recipe and stumbled onto your site. I made them and just shared them with my readers. They were excellent and exactly what I was looking for.

Lori January 20, 2013 at 8:28 AM

Thanks for sharing Wendy!! I’m glad you found them, made them, and liked them!

Jenna March 15, 2012 at 1:55 PM

Hey there!

Was so excited to make these…and they turned out pretty awful – very dry, the flavor profile tastes a little off with the flours…i followed everything to a T, except I used fresh berries, which actually gave the cookie some moisture. I think they need more sugar or honey…and I realize the point is to make a healthier cookie, but they could really use some butter to give them more of a moist, chewier texture…or even a flaky texture…maybe I did something wrong or someone has a suggestion? They sounded amazing, because blueberries and lemon are classic!

Anna March 15, 2012 at 7:43 AM

Just took these out of the oven! Can’t wait to try them. Did some alterations since I did not have all ingredients. Used lemon juice and lemon essential oil instead of lemon. I also added some almond extract just because I love almond. 🙂 Also used fresh frozen blueberries. They look good! Thanks for the recipe!
Verdict: DELICIOUS !!!

Jody March 9, 2012 at 1:02 PM

Gonna HAVE to make these!

Alisa March 9, 2012 at 9:00 AM

Oh, I love lemon and blueberry together but haven’t yet gotten the combo right in a cookie!

Lately, lemon has been for making dairy-free cream cheese and for shrimp dinners 🙂

Ela March 8, 2012 at 3:55 PM

blueberry and lemon–yes and yes! What a wonderful combo, and coconut flour too. I think I may have to try these just for myself (usually when I pick up recipes, they’re to make for other people).

Lemons–I squeeze them in my water all the time. But lately most of my meals have been a sort of weird combo of shredded veggies, protein powder and some sort of flavoring, and lemon/lemon zest has definitely been one of those.

Pure2raw twins March 8, 2012 at 2:32 PM

love lemon!! lemon and blueberry are such a classic combo. i have used it in breakfast scones, but not cookies. yum cannot wait to try.

Ally's Sweet & Savory Eats March 8, 2012 at 1:58 PM

Thanks for this recipe – I was recently given some coconut flour and had no idea what to do with it! As I know it can be a little touch with the texture…

Amber Shea @Almost Vegan March 8, 2012 at 12:29 PM

These look SO good! Mmm, I can see all the little zesty bits in there too. So spring-y!

christina March 8, 2012 at 10:53 AM

love love love. blueberry & lemon anything is well, delicious!

Lori March 8, 2012 at 12:09 PM