Onion-Garlic Pulp Bread with Secret Vegan Butter is Like An Open Book

April 18, 2012

Happy, wonderful, hopefully great, Wednesday!

Day 18 and today’s Health Activist Writers Month Challenge is Choose a book and open it to a random page and point to a phrase. Use that phrase to get you writing today.

Alrighty.

I grabbed two books that I’m reading right now (at any given time I have about 3 books going…). Most of the books I read are self-help, learny books because that’s What Runs Me. 🙂

Book 1: You Can Create An Exceptional Life by Louise Hay and Cheryl Richardson. Good book. I got this book after attending the Hay House event a few weeks ago. It’s a light, fast read and such a positive one, at that. Never hurts to place a little positive into your life.

Page 29: “We are powerful, creative beings who determine our future with every thought we think and every word we speak.”

“…As I consider Louise’s remark, I realize that, at its core, this message is one of the most important: In our purest, most positive state of mind, we are powerful creators of our very best lives. When we think good thoughts, we feel good. When we feel good, we make good choices… [and] we draw more good experiences into our lives. It really is that simple…”

Amen. 😉

But really, all of that is incredibly true, and like Cheryl Richardson wrote in the above recollection of Louise Hay’s way of life, it’s that simple.

I’ve been “preaching” happiness lately, because I’m happy. I want to share my happiness because EVERYONE deserves to be happy, too.

Book 2: The Complete Idiot’s Guide to Plant-Based Nutrition by Julieanna Hever, M.S., R.D., C.P.T. Love it! Anything to do with nutrition floats my boat, but this one is a super informative, super fun, super yummy-filled-recipes, that anyone can apply to their life.

Page 109: Gettin’ Spicy: An exotic collection of spices can help you experiment in the kitchen. Plain salt and pepper is so passe!

Yep, so right! See all of my posts on spices (and how much I love them)

Speaking of spices…

Onto the F O O D !!!

If wow was a flavor, this bread would be it: Wow.

Question: What was the last things you ate that really made you stop and savor the complexity of flavors?

Was it warm or hot? Did it melt in your mouth? Were there spots on your tongue that called out for more? Was it salty? Sweet? Savory? Buttery, soft, and fluffy? What about all of the aforementioned?

But what about this Secret Vegan Butter I speak of? What’s that all about? Yeah, you could go out to the store and purchase an overpriced, tubbed, and super-processed butter substitute, vegan or not, but why do that when you can make your own?

What if I told you that this butter actually helps you lose weight?

Ha. Skeptical you. I promise, it’s a weight loss tool!

You’ve heard that coconut oil contains lauric acid. And you’ve heard that these acids help you burn fat. So, why not put it into a butter?

This fat-burning butter, loaded with flavor, is by far better than any butter I’ve ever tasted. I kid you not.

So, to lay it on thick (pun intended), you must try both this bread and butter.

What books are you into?

Turn to a page in one of your books and tell me a sentence from it!

Alisa April 19, 2012 at 2:09 PM

Miso! Brilliant idea Lori. I’m always making “butters” like this 🙂

yo yo mama April 19, 2012 at 6:05 AM

Just happen to have beside the computer THE FEMALE BODY BREAKTHROUGH by Rachel Cosgrove, BS, CSCS…
and opened it to “Secret #14: Put an end to body bashing, and instead celebrate your strengths!”
Well, this fits for today (and yesterday and yesterday and yesterday….) I’m unhappy with my 10 pound weight gain and my flabby body (no longer perfect..yes, perfect is important..uh hum) and I rerun this thought every day. (yes, I’m not doing much about it but I beat myself up anyway.) Ok, well, from another point of view, I am so incredibly fortunate to have a fantastic body that works well and learns quickly and improves rapidly. So there! And today I’m using it again to rake, dig, lift, move plants and dirt and continue to create my wonderful garden.

Pure2raw twins April 18, 2012 at 7:01 PM

I have not had much time for reading books. 🙁

love how you mixed miso with coconut oil, will have to try that!

Carmela April 18, 2012 at 5:13 PM

First of all I would like to say great blog! I had a quick question that I’d like to ask if you don’t mind. I was curious to find out how you center yourself and clear your head before writing. I have had difficulty clearing my mind in getting my ideas out there. I truly do take pleasure in writing but it just seems like the first 10 to 15 minutes are usually lost simply just trying to figure out how to begin. Any ideas or hints? Kudos!

todd April 18, 2012 at 4:04 PM

I have to say i’m not usually an avid reader, but for the past few months i’ve really been tracking down various books to read for fun. so when i saw your blog today, i jumped at the opportunity to share with you a great book i’ve been reading at work. it too focuses on the positive and encourages people to make changes… here’s what i grabbed from the book, called ‘the Power of Habit: Why we do what we do in life and in business’ by Charles Duhigg – page 109
“Keystone habits offer waht is known within academic literature as ‘small wins’. They help other habits to flourish by creating new structures, and they establish cultures where change becomes contagious.”

basically, find the small healthy habits that disrupt and spill over into your other habits, ie exercising more helps you to eat healthier also, or start making your bed every morning to spill over to organizing your finances better.

enjoy 🙂

Lori April 18, 2012 at 4:38 PM

I love that we have different perspectives on each prompt- which is the point! We can all just interpret how we wish. 🙂 It’s fun. I’m really like this prompt thing! Way less work to think of something to write about! lol

So… self-help books, especially positive ones, are my favorite things right now. Definitely inspires and keeps me at a higher/happier mood.

Becky April 18, 2012 at 2:04 PM

Just found your website and loving it ~ I would only make one comment about the delicious-looking recipe above. Microwaves are de debil. Don’t use it, it’ll mess with your wonderful coconut oil molecules. Heat it in a double boiler, or when I want to melt some coconut oil I just stick the whole jar in a bowl of hot water.

Lori April 18, 2012 at 3:18 PM

Great point! Seriously. I’m lazy sometimes but using a double boiler is a better idea.

Ela April 18, 2012 at 11:43 AM

I’m loving your positivity lately! I can read recipe books like novels too, and that one sounds like a fun one.
It’s been a while since I’ve read a self help book, but maybe it would be a good thing to focus some of my energy on that.

Miso-coconut is a wonderful combo. I’m thinking of trying it with coconut butter as opposed to oil, for the extra fiber. I’ve made raw onion bread and adored the flavor, but my tummy doesn’t always like it quite so much 😉

My sentence from a book was on a very different theme, about being a stranger in a strange land…