Your View of Health

June 3, 2011

Happy Friday!

This might be the shortest post in blog history, but I have just one simple question for you.

How has your view of health changed over the years?

How have you changed the way you look at health or fitness or nutrition changed and adapted to your surroundings and to your goals?

For me, I used to be hung up on how I looked. I wanted to be “super skinny” or smaller than most girls/women. Over the years I’ve learned that for me to be happy with myself, lifting weights is where it’s at, not doing endless cardio. To be happy I make and eat REAL food, full of healthy fats, and loads of flavor. I now want to be strong. If that means I’m no longer fitting into my old jeans, no longer the smallest in the room, that’s 110% fine with me.

🙂

How has your view of health changed over the years?

Monique June 4, 2011 at 10:24 AM

I’ve been trying to allocate time for me (to work out, do something fun outside, etc) since graduating. I’m also aware of how I’m eating. Not to say I’m on a diet or calorie count, but if I drink one night or have a lot of desserts, I’ll eat sensibly the next day and maybe walk an extra mile 🙂 Totally different than the girl I was in high school and college haha.

Jenn L @ Peas and Crayons June 4, 2011 at 5:45 AM

It changes nearly daily for me =) I’ve noticed my husband’s view changing too. its surreal — but good! <3

ooh! I want to be added to your blogger near you tab! I'm (soon to be) in New Bern, NC! <3 mwah!

Christin@purplebirdblog June 3, 2011 at 5:50 PM

Because I could go on for days, I’ll just keep it short and say that my view of my health has changed for the better, but it started in the mind. I had to come to terms with the fact that I’m not small, never will be, and learn to love these curves, and sculpt them into awesome shape with yoga and cycling and walking, all gentle on my crappy ankles and knees. Changing my diet to amazingly nourishing foods makes me proud to eat everyday, knowing that I can make delicious foods that are more than just awesome taste, but kickass rocket fuel whether it be for a long-ass bike ride or an 8 hour day at my desk at work. My mental is 180 degrees from the sad, depressed, not good enough feeling chick I used to be. 🙂

Michelle {the lively kitchen} June 3, 2011 at 1:44 PM

My idea of health (and the amount of time I’ve been able to spend on my fitness) has ebbed and flowed since leaving college over 10 years ago. Demanding jobs and then motherhood have greatly impacted the amount of time I have to ‘stay in shape.’ But, like you, the definition of ‘in shape’ has changed too.

Now it’s about being strong, the high I get after a good spin class, letting my daughter see me prioritize exercise (and not talk about weight) and eating in a way that leaves me with energy to be the me I want to be.

tea-bag June 3, 2011 at 9:38 AM

i’m idea of health has TOTALLY changed & i’m so glad for it! it used to be all about how long i could stay on the elliptical or run on the treadmill. even though i lost a ton of weight, it wasn’t every really about how i looked, more an obsession w/ the time logged doing cardio.
now, health is how i feel & how much i can lift. i can tell you, that i feel so much better! and, my clothes fit better! my ass looks better because gaining weight = less visible cellulite (who would’ve thought!) and life is better! 🙂

Ela June 3, 2011 at 9:28 AM

Sounds like that’s a great change for you-and I love how happy you sound with your choices. I think that my biggest change has been from a mostly magical-thinking attitude toward greater respect for things like testing and checking, while still recognizing that we can create our realities. Oh, and learning to love my body–that’s a huge learning curve (pun not intended!)

zoe (and the beatles) June 3, 2011 at 8:55 AM

oh wow, what a question! my ideas of health have shifted so much in the past year and a half. i used to measure my ‘health’ in the size of my jeans and the flatness of my stomach. i used to measure health in the distance i covered in my runs. i used to measure health in how much green i could fit on one plate. now i measure health in how much i am laughing as opposed to crying (something i did a lot of when i was ‘healthy’). i measure health in how well i am sleeping, how bright my skin is, how my energy levels are. i measure health in how strong and accomplished i feel after my work outs (which no longer include running seven miles or more a day. thank the universe!). instead of eating the same old, incredibly boring meals i am listening to my body’s wants and needs and not boxing myself into someone else’s ideal. because i am not someone else. i am me, someone with individual and unique needs. but mainly, i see health as self respect and self love. because without that, i find happiness cannot flourish and the real you cannot emerge.

Pure2raw twins June 3, 2011 at 8:27 AM

by views of health/nutrition/fitness seem to change often, the more I learn about myself, change something up when my body tells me too. And I always feel like I am researching, reading, trying to discover new things to learn about. I just love it! Looking back I have some weird eating patterns, haha, but you life and learn right?

Sable@SquatLikeALady June 3, 2011 at 8:20 AM

Being married to Max (bodybuilder) has taught me that health is not all about how someone looks. He looks like he’s in amazing shape — he’s huge, lean, super strong, etc. And yet his cholesterol is sky-high, his blood pressure is a constant problem, and honestly he’s in pretty bad cardiovascular shape.

Kelly June 3, 2011 at 8:03 AM

My view of health has changed in the last few years too. I always wanted to be the thinnest in the room, be able to run the farthest and the fastest. I wanted people to look at me and wish to look like me. (that sounds so incredibly selfish but I am just being honest) Now I realize that when I was the thinnest in the room and when I could run the fastest no one wanted to look like me…they wanted to feed me. I was not healthy. Not at all. Now I recognize that my inner thighs may touch one another, I may not wear a size 0 or 2 and I may not be able to run 70 miles a week. But I AM healthy. Healthier and HAPPIER than I have been in a very long time. Now instead of punishing my body with running I respect with exercise. I lift weights and I am strong. Now instead of starving my body and surviving of the least amount possible I embrace food and the taste of food. I eat what I enjoy and I love it. I laugh more. I live more. I am healthy.

tea-bag June 3, 2011 at 9:41 AM

i had to reply to this b/c i totally agree! i’ve realized that people didn’t envy me or my visible collarbones – they pitied me!

Daniella @ Runner at Heart June 3, 2011 at 7:48 AM

My views on health have changed pretty drastically. I now try to eat lots of fruits, vegatables and whole grains and exercise daily. I know that everything is not how I look on the outside, my overall health is far more important than my figure.

kat June 3, 2011 at 7:20 AM

I had a view similar to yours, and to be honest sometimes I still struggle with it. But now when I eat instead of thinking what the food will do TO my body I think of what it will do FOR my body. I focus on the nutrients and not just the calories. I also realize that my health is much more than nutrition, but a combination of everything in my life!!

Natalie @ cinnamon bums June 3, 2011 at 7:11 AM

whoohoo this is awesome lori! i like your view of health =) i think for me health used to just be a physical thing, and now i realize it’s a mental and emotional thing as well (and now i think mental and emotional health might be even more important than physical health) – of course all of these things are linked, but i dont think STRIVING for physical health is worth it if it means your mental and emotional health are neglected. now for me, health really means being able to enjoy all aspects of life, to be in relationships with people i love, to be energetic and active, and to eat good and tasty food!