How To Eat A Delicata

October 19, 2011

Lonely Salad. Delicata Needed!

Yep, it’s squash time in the ‘hood again. Falling leaves, colder nights, Christmas decorations for purchase in every store. It must be that time of the year… time for squash recipes!

If you follow any blogs at all (mine, perhaps?), you’ve probably already been bombarded with recipes featuring the alluring squash. Why? Because there is nothing, I mean nothing, better than pumpkin, kabocha, butternut, acorn, hubbard, Turban, Red Kuri, spaghetti, sugar pie pumpkins, sweet dumpling, squash.

If you’re not a squash lover, this post is meant to convert you. Yes, you will love squash after trying this simple, tasty, quick recipe. I promise.

One type of squash that is seen but often not touched is the Delicata. Delicata are cute little, bright yellow, oblong-shaped squash. They usually weigh less than a pound and are always cheerfully striped. It’s best feature yet? You can eat it’s outer skin when cooked.

I love them for their sweet, nutty flavor and use of a powerhouse side dish.

So, grab a Delicata of your own and let’s get baking!

Step 1: Preheat oven.

Step 2: Wash your squash!

Step 3: Carefully cut squash into rounds.

Step 4: Place on baking sheet and sprinkle with festive seasoning. And love.

Step 5: Bake.

Step 6: Pair with greens and hummus. Dipping these Delicata rings is required!

See, I told you it was easy. 😉

BONUS STEP: Make again and again and again… and try out a new recipe while you’re at it (like my Dijon Rosemary Delicata Squash recipe)!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Pure2raw twins October 25, 2011 at 4:39 AM

perfect timing as we just got some delicata squash to enjoy! YUM

Chuck October 19, 2011 at 10:45 PM

Thats a little bit crazy- I just bought one of these! Do you eat the skin? I eat the butternut squash skin

Frugal Skills October 19, 2011 at 10:37 PM

I hate squash, but those mouthwatering pictures are inspiring me to try it again.

Lori October 21, 2011 at 6:54 AM

What do you hate about it?? lol Glad I could entice!

TeenyLittleSuperChef October 19, 2011 at 5:26 PM

I’m with you. I think all kinds of winter squash are the bomb diggity. I could and have eaten my weight in kabocha squash over the course of one day. Can’t get enough of this stuff! Thanks for the recipe of enjoying the delicata. I often forget to enjoy them in a svory way instead of always sweet. Also, thanks for the links to all the good sauces. The cheesy hummus sauce with the vegan enchiladas sounds totally like something right up my alley. I’ll be making that soon for sure :)

Anna October 19, 2011 at 3:09 PM

you always surprise me, and it’s such a pleasure to visit your blog. I wasnt here for a long time and I must say, I missed your wonderful recipes :)

Ela October 19, 2011 at 1:59 PM

Sounds so good–and you’re lucky, living in country where you can get the full gamut of varieties (I haven’t seen red kuri outside of the Bay Area farmers markets, and it’s such a good one).

Anne October 19, 2011 at 1:23 PM

oh yay! I just got two in my box’o’veggies for the week and had no idea what to do with them! :)

Me October 19, 2011 at 9:41 AM

MMMM. That looks really good. Much better than the thousand pounds of kabocha you used to make me eat.

NOM NOM NOM NOM NOM!

Katie October 19, 2011 at 5:31 AM

I actually am not a huge delicata fan. I think its too….delicate. Hahaha. No but seriously. Its not firm enough. Too watery? I don’t know. I like my kabocha, buttercup, and hubbard.