HAWMC: Writing About Health? Why? …And Thai Peanut Slaw & Best-Ever Baked Tofu

April 4, 2012

I write about health.

I write about food.

I write about exercise.

I write about motivating others, motivating myself, and inspiring!

But why…?

One of the first things that popped into my head when looking at the prompt, I write about health because…?, was the word passion.

I write about health because I have a true passion for health and wellness. This passion is so strong that it radiates out to whomever I talk to. I want to be the healthiest, most vibrant being I can possibly be and I want, so desperately, to carry other people along for the same ride. I want you, your neighbor, your brother, sister, mother, father, co-worker, acupuncturist, mechanic, and grocery store clerk to be healthy. I want everyone around me to be healthy and feel like they can do anything.

Because I do. I feel good. I feel healthy. I feel like I can do anything.

Because I can.

A lot of times feelings or actions can be contagious, like yawning, or laughing. Even smiling. And I believe that wellness can be contagious, too. If we allow it. And with all of the motivation out there with blogs and websites, magazines and TV shows, you’d think that everyone would be healthy.

Alas, that is not the case, is it…?

I believe that health starts with a positive state of mind. It starts with thinking, acting, and believing that you are perfect the way you are right now. There are no mistakes in life. And if you aren’t perfect in this moment, right now, then when? There is no other time then right now and believing and acting like you want to live is the key to happiness and health.

This goes into a whole different topic and post but just know, that my answer to Why I write about health, is because I have a passion for it. A passion for health is What Runs Lori.

Oh wait! Not only do I write about health… I make, eat, and photograph health, too. And…

I HAD to share.

The end.

I love you! Have a wonderful day. Make it how you want it.

So…

Why do you write about health (or whatever make you happy)?

Who are you writing for?

Oddly, I asked this question last year. Pretty interesting question, if you ask me. See the post here.

Leann April 3, 2014 at 1:10 PM

Yesterday I tried out your baked tofu/slaw dish and results were very successful. We have been eating tofu for a number of yrs and tried many ways of fixing it (without frying). My husband is so use to different ways of baked tofu, he hardly mentions it any more. But last night his face really told me he noticed a difference, esp. when he said, “This is a keeper”. Just wanted to thank you.

Lori September 28, 2014 at 8:33 AM

This is so awesome! Thank you SO much for sharing!!! Glad you (and your husband) liked it. It’s definitely one of my favorites!

julie richman March 24, 2013 at 3:19 PM

Love the blog, your spirit and energy so I was inspired to try your tofu cole slaw recipe.
However, the dressing is way too salty (the 6 TB of tamari should have been a warning) even after I added an extra half of orange and ts. of honey
Maybe others had better luck than I did!?

Resha April 21, 2012 at 8:00 PM

What a healthy recipe! I love it and it looks very delicious. My mom always cooked special dishes every weekends. I will tell my m about this. So excited to taste it. YUMMY!!

Mary@FitandFed April 12, 2012 at 6:59 PM

The dressing for the slaw looks really good with the medjool dates in it for extra sweetness- great idea. I’m going to have to experiment more with the dates– they tend to not blend up smoothly for me in smoothies, sauces, etc. Maybe soaking is the answer. I make baked tofu pretty much the same way you do, though I try to get a little more time in the marinade if possible.

Alex April 10, 2012 at 5:54 AM

I am 14 years old and could not agree more with everything that isn written here. You just spelt out everything I believe in. Love it keep up the good work. P.S must try this tofu and is a brilliant way to incorporate nutritional yeast into my diet.

Suzy Lewis April 6, 2012 at 11:02 AM

Hi Lori –
You’re a girl after my own heart!!! Thank you for being a positive force and shining the light of health and your passion with others!
Blessings,
Suzy

Stephanie April 4, 2012 at 8:05 PM

I am passionate about health too! I truly want to help myself and other people achieve optimal health and live a energetic, cheerful life 🙂

Ela April 4, 2012 at 2:46 PM

Right back at you! I love your passion and contagious enthusiasm–great-looking recipes too.

I had a slightly different approach–more introverted, I guess, but a very similar end goal.

Kim April 4, 2012 at 8:46 AM

I am right there with you Lori! I am super passionate about helping people figure out what works for their bodies and how to be the healthiest they can be! It is amazing when you feel good after you eat!! Thanks for sharing your passion for health and wellness and fitness! You are a gem! Keep up the great work!!!