May just wouldn’t be May without April Showers.
May just wouldn’t be May without May Day.
May just wouldn’t be May without Cinco de Mayo (tomorrow!).
May just wouldn’t be May without celebrating our Mothers. We’ve all got one and they deserve it.
May just wouldn’t be May without the last day of the month- a Memorial Day to those who risked their lives to save others.
May just wouldn’t be May without us working people getting that last Monday off of work.
And finally, May just wouldn’t be May without a tribute to Salad. Why salad? Because May is home to National Salad Month! Man, did May pick this national celebration just for me, or what?! If you don’t know already, I love salad. It has yet to become an obsession or a problem but who knows how long until I am at that stage.
Anyway, since National Ensalada Month just could not be any cooler of a month, my tribute stands with a Salad-A-Day for the Month of May (and it just so happens that that rhymes so nicely.)!
And now, the moment I know you have all been waiting for… Quatro de Mayo Day Salad:
Green Salad with Tahini & Umeboshi Plum Dressing
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 1/2 tbsp tahini
- 1 tsp umeboshi plum paste
- 1 tbsp tamari or soy sauce
- splash of apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 avocado, mashed
- 1/4 diced white onion
- Herbs of choice: chives, cilantro, and green onions
- Spice of choice: paprika and cayenne are mine
- microgreens and/or leafy greens
Combine items lemon juice through spices and happily mix together in a bowl.
Taste dressing and adjust any and all items and mix again. Add your greens and veggies of choice and combine again.
Eat as is, or devour with a side of raw kraut/kim chi, homemade pickled ginger, and raw flax-buckwheat bread- either homemade (like mine pictured) or, if you can, get some Pure2Raw raw flatbread. Mmmmm. Any and all are delicious!
Speaking of salads… When is Green Smoothie Month?
Questions for my peeps:
1. What is your FAVORITE salad? If you’re like me, you always have a go-to salad of choice. Mine is definitely filled with greens, tomatoes, avos, tahini, lemon, miso, and whatever other herbs or items I can find. Although, I do love a quinoa salad now and again… (recipe coming soon).
2. When’s the last time you asked someone for help? Did you get the help you asked for? Hmmm… yesterday I remember asking the boyfriend to help me find my computer charger. He helped me. Now if I could only get him to help me with the dishes. Or maybe the vacuuming. And the laundry. Then help with dusting, folding clothes, picking up after himself, putting his towel back to dry. Ooops, maybe that’s too much to ask for with a non-multitasking boyfriend…
Besides that, I have asked my mom for help with life. She’s always good for GREAT advice. Thanks, Mom!