Black Bean Pancake Stacks with Mango Cream Filling

January 31, 2011

Every meal has a story; A story of where it came from, where the idea of its creation manifested.

Some meals have a background based on culture and traditions. Others come into being through creativity and innovation.

Dishes spring from inspiration and ideas of past opuses.

And some meals are a compilation of the lack of grocery shopping and pantry-diving. Like this one.

Although, the story of this meal came from a rumbling tummy, a mountain of ripe mangoes, and a can of black beans…

It was also created via some pretty inspiring meals.

Black Bean Pancake Stacks with Mango Cream Filling

Pancakes:

Yields: 1-2 servings, about 6 mini pancakes

• 1/2 cup black beans (canned/cooked)
  • 2 heaping tbsp hemp protein powder, chocolate flavored (or protein/flour of choice)
  • 1/4 cup egg whites
  • 1/4 cup almond milk
  • 1/4 tsp baking soda
  • 1/8 tsp sea salt
  • 16 drops Stevia (I used 8 drops chocolate, 8 drops vanilla creme)

Blend the black beans, protein powder, egg whites together, and almond milk together in a blender, until smooth. Add in remaining ingredients, mixing to combine.

Heat a nonstick pan on high heat for several minutes. Reduce heat to medium just before spraying with cooking spray (or butter), and dropping spoonfuls of batter onto pan.

Mango Cream Filling:

• 1 ripe mango, peeled and chopped into small pieces
  • 1 cup yogurt of choice (dairy free, Greek, coconut, soy, cashew, etc)

Combine chopped mango and yogurt in a bowl. Mix. Done. 😉

To assemble:

Place one pancake on a plate. Top with mango cream filling. Repeat as desired. Sprinkle with cinnamon and extra mango pieces.

(pancake profile, without mango filling: 3 pancakes = 132 calories, 1.4 g fat, 12.5 g protein, 17 g carbohydrates, 0 g sugar)

Eat, enjoy, share, and be nourished.

What is your story today?

Margo March 12, 2012 at 8:47 AM

These look absolutely amazing. I love the idea of using black beans in pancakes and the mango creme sounds delicious. Definitely going to have to try this one!

Katherine February 14, 2011 at 1:05 PM

I can’t tell you how delicious this recipe is….I couldn’t stop licking the batter! It was a great chocolate recipe for Valentine’s Day (packed with protein!) Although, I may have to make these a lot more often…they’re THAT good.

Thanks 🙂

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) February 6, 2011 at 1:17 AM

these look awesome, lori!

i want to make them!!!!

dd (the lady lifts) February 5, 2011 at 3:47 PM

I’m *in love* with the colours of this meal. truly.

Anne February 1, 2011 at 11:39 AM

I made nasty gluten-free baking mix pancakes this morning before I skimmed my google reader. MISTAKE! I totally had all the stuff for these! Breakfast tomorrow: TBD (To Be Dominated)

Cassandra July 20, 2016 at 6:25 AM

That kind of thniking shows you’re an expert

Alisa Fleming February 1, 2011 at 9:41 AM

Wow, seriously creative Lori! You should write a protein-packed cookbook 🙂

kate February 1, 2011 at 3:20 AM

yet again i read your blog and think to myself “i need to make this NOW!” love it.

Joanne February 1, 2011 at 2:51 AM

I tend to think that some of the best things in life are born of what you happen to have sitting in your pantry. Black bean and mango? Take me away to a tropical resort, why don’t you?

salah@myhealthiestlifestyle January 31, 2011 at 5:15 PM

this is absolutely genius. You can count on me to try this!!!

Katie January 31, 2011 at 4:44 PM

Black beans in pancakes? WOW. I love mangoes, and I can’t wait for them to get below $2 each again. At which point I will be stocking up!

Pure2raw twins January 31, 2011 at 3:38 PM

Love it! Blackbean pancakes – amazing! Brilliant beautiful. I love getting inspired by others and creating a new fun dish 😉 Glad we helped inspire you to create this stack pancakes!!!

Lindsay Cotter January 31, 2011 at 1:53 PM

whoa mamma! thats divine. I love your flavor combos! Great recipe! did you try the life basics yet?

Christin@purplebirdblog January 31, 2011 at 10:34 AM

I absolutely LOVE this! Incredibly creative!

My story today is I not only made bread for the first time last night, but it’s gluten-free and absolutely delicious! I have been experimenting with going GF, and my tummy thanks me! 🙂

Heather (Perspective Is Everything) January 31, 2011 at 10:25 AM

wow-what a combo of flavors, textures, and food groups. never would have thought of that!
looks great 🙂
my story-i always make a pan of roasted veggies in the morning with the intention of snacking on them throughout the day. i always end up eating them in one sitting. LOL! soooo good!!

Lauren @ WWoB January 31, 2011 at 10:08 AM

this is crazy awesome and possibly the most creative recipe I have seen in the blog world.
today my story isssss I made a quiche with 80 grams of protein and I will probably eat the entire thing today. mmhm.

Ela January 31, 2011 at 10:05 AM

Sounds yummy–and the visual contrast is just stunning.

My story today? In Anchorage again, not feeling too well, probably going to teach a poetry class this aft for the first time ever… Otherwise, nothing!

kat January 31, 2011 at 10:00 AM

Genuis!! So making these babies!!