Sundried Tomato & Goat Cheese Tortellini Salad

May 10, 2011

I’m so glad some of you found yesterday’s post about being a Do-Too-Mucher helpful. I know a lot of people can relate to feeling the pressure of helping others, even when it comes down to your own feelings being pushed aside just a bit. Some of you offered great advice on slowing down and taking time for yourself. Some of you have done the constant people-pleaser thing and found your voice to politely pass, thinking of your own well-being first. I loved reading your comments! Great information and wonderful insight.

And this is why I love you, guys. πŸ™‚

Recipe time!

This was my alternate entry for the Foodbuzz Italy trip, which I did not win. But it was still wonderfully tasty and fun making up the dish(es) for the contest.

This was the first idea that I had for my tortellini-inspired meal. After collaborating with my sister (hi, Christine!!), we decided to do something filled with Italian spices and simple to prepare. We knew it had to include tortellini, but for us, it needed our mom’s homemade sundried tomatoes, feta cheese, and lots of greens. Thus, spinach, basil leaves, chicken breast, sundried tomatoes, feta, and spices met in a bowl.

Sundried Tomato & Goat Cheese Tortellini Salad

We made this dish to feed a lot of people. Feel free to half the recipe or share with 6 loved ones.

• 1 (large, family style) package three cheese tortellini, prepared according to package
  • 2 large organic chicken breast, cooked (boiled, baked, etc to your liking)
  • 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
  • 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
  • 1/4 cup olive oil
  • 1/4 cup sundried tomatoes, roughly chopped
  • 2 cloves garlic, crushed
  • 2 tsp red pepper flakes, or to taste
  • 1 cup fresh spinach leaves, roughly chopped
  • 8 large fresh basil leaves, roughly chopped
  • 4 heaping tbsp feta cheese
  • 1 tbsp Italian Seasoning
  • 1 tsp salt
  • pepper to taste

Combine all of the ingredients, except for the tortellini, in a large bowl, mixing thoroughly. Let sit for 30 minutes while you prepare the tortellini, allowing the flavors in the bowl to meld.

Add in the tortellini, hot or cold. Toss and serve.

EASY. And damn good.

I definitely recommend this dish for an easy and delicious meal. πŸ™‚ It may even win you a trip to Italy… you never know.

Anyway, I hope you have a fantastic Tuesday! Don’t forget to do less, for health reasons, of course. πŸ˜‰

Tuesday words to remember:

Acceptance is such an important commodity, some have called it “the first law of personal growth.”
Peter McWilliams, Life 101

β€œDon’t count the days- make the days count.” -unknown

Kelly Michelle May 10, 2011 at 5:13 PM

so I’ve been lurking around and not commenting much lately but that looks delicious!

Jenn L @ Peas and Crayons May 10, 2011 at 4:15 PM

I’m eating tortellini right now! <3 this looks awesome girl!!! you need to move here so we can make up all kinds of fun recipes. pretty please? =)

The Teenage Taste May 10, 2011 at 2:35 PM

Mmmm…this dish looks fabulous Lori! I have a weakness for tortellini!

Monique May 10, 2011 at 1:02 PM

That sounds amazing! I love a good bowl of pasta πŸ™‚

Kristie May 10, 2011 at 12:23 PM

That’s pretty much all of my favourite things loaded into one bowl… perfection! I actually haven’t had tortellini in ages (it used to be a weekly staple dinner in our house!). Looks like it might be about time to make it again!

Katie May 10, 2011 at 12:01 PM

These are some of my favorite flavors. A couple summers ago I ate sundried tomato, feta, spinach, and mushroom egg scrambles every single day. So good!

Erica May 10, 2011 at 11:39 AM

This sounds fantastic to me! Sun dried tomatoes are so good and I can’t wait to get back into goat cheese after the peanut is born. You sure know how to kick a salad up a notch!!

Jenny (Fit Girl Foodie) May 10, 2011 at 11:14 AM

I need to start getting more creative with my salads! This looks incredible πŸ˜€

Alexandra May 10, 2011 at 8:57 AM

Thanks for sharing such a TASTY recipe! Wow does that look good. Anything described as “easy” and “damn good” floats my boat haha πŸ˜€

salah@myhealthiestlifestyle May 10, 2011 at 8:56 AM

that salad looks wonderful!!! And I loved your post on being a do-too mucher….thats me in a nutshell for sure! (ps. I sent another package your way, let me know if you get it this time :-0)

tea-bag May 10, 2011 at 8:34 AM

oh, i love sun dried tomatoes! they add such a nice zing to any dish! my favorite quote: “i want to live my life as a bride married to amazement” – it reminds me to see the beauty in every day!

Sable@SquatLikeALady May 10, 2011 at 7:01 AM

PS my love, your celebration ballz hold up fabulously in the freezer and they are AWESOME frozen πŸ˜€

christina May 10, 2011 at 6:16 AM

this looks incredible! anything with goat cheese wins my heart…

Kelly May 10, 2011 at 4:26 AM

YUM! This looks awesome!!

I am going to email you later because I have another workout for you. My husband wrote it for me yesterday and it is a TRX/kettlebell workout that made me think of you the entire time I was doing it! πŸ™‚

Sable@SquatLikeALady May 10, 2011 at 4:23 AM

Ooooh this looks GOOD! Bookmarking as a dish to make for the grandparents-in-law πŸ˜‰

Kat May 10, 2011 at 4:05 AM

YUM!! I am slightly ashamed to admit I have never had a sundried tomato. Maybe I should go buy some and just eat them straight up. I know for a fact that I would love them!

Ernie May 10, 2011 at 3:12 AM

With all of your “Stuff” going of, I feel it is my duty to take at least one thing off of your plate!!! I agree to be your official TASTER! Starting today with this wonderful looking salad!!! Of course …. I will be doing this PRO BONO!!! πŸ™‚

Lesley Lifting Life May 10, 2011 at 2:51 AM

This looks like an awesome dish, yum!! You cannot go wrong with tortellini, sundried tomatoes, and goat cheese.

Pure2raw twins May 10, 2011 at 2:05 AM

oh yum!!! love all the colors

trying to do “less”

hope you have a great day girl!