The Princess and The Snow Pea

May 16, 2011

There once was a Princess who loved to cook.

When I she was growing up, my her family had a huge garden and my her favorite thing that was grown were snow peas. Each time the delicate plants produced enough peas to host a large side dish, I she was out there finding the hidden pods, ready to make my her signature dish, sauteed garlic ginger snow peas.

I The Princess had a bit of an obsession with those succulent green beauties. It was wonderful having them grow abundantly in my her family’s garden, just waiting to be picked and eaten.

It had been a while since I’ve she’d lived at home but my her recent trip back home reminded me her that it was time to throw snow peas back into my her life.

This dish is exactly what I she would make for my family and it’s every bit as tasty as I she remembers. Only slightly missing the extra love from the ones I she used to eat it with.

Sauteed Garlic Ginger Snow Peas

• Fresh snow peas, washed and de-stemmed
  • Extra virgin olive oil
  • Fresh garlic, minced or crushed
  • Fresh ginger, minced or crushed
  • Salt and pepper to taste
  • Extras: sweet white onions, leeks

Heat oil in a large skillet. Add the onions and leeks, cooking until softened. Add all of the remaining ingredients, sauteing the peas until tender but still slightly crisp, about 10 minutes.

If you’re feeling like filling your body with nourishing greens, like this Princess was, serve the snow peas with red quinoa, more sauteed onions, and a large green salad.

After eating all of her greens, the princess turned into the most beautiful ruler of the kitchen lands. She still resides in the Land of Lori, making nourishing and delicious foods. Happily eating her way through life.

The end.

McKayla @ Green Groats May 17, 2011 at 6:14 PM

Haha. You make me smile 🙂 This princess eats well! Snow peas are meant for royalty….

Emily May 17, 2011 at 2:02 PM

YUM! I love the story too 🙂 When I was little I was really convinced I was a princess because I knew I would be able to feel a pea under a pile of mattress and feathers. I’m still pretty convinced, in fact.

yo yo mama May 16, 2011 at 6:31 PM

Does anyone know how to put a picture on these posts?????

yo yo mama May 16, 2011 at 6:31 PM

What a clever story! I really could have used this recipe yesterday while I was planning how to good my several cups of fresh garden snow peas. Well, with this rain I’ll have more in no time…and then use this recipe. How could I forget GINGER?…and i had just bought some yesterday also.

Katie May 16, 2011 at 6:29 PM

I love snow peas, and these are some of my favorite flavors ever! Garlic and ginger? I know what I’m making nevxt time I buy snow peas. I’m usually super lame and just dip them in whatever dip I have on hand. I know…BOooooooring.

Lori May 17, 2011 at 6:48 AM

Just dipping them in a dip (HUMMUS!!!) might be boring but it’s still SO GOOD. Snow peas are delicious.

salah@myhealthiestlifestyle May 16, 2011 at 4:07 PM

I love this little story! Those snow peas sound so wonderful!

Leanne @ Healthful Pursuit May 16, 2011 at 1:13 PM

Aw! You’re too awesome for words. That was the best post, ever!
Diggin’ the peas too 🙂

Anne May 16, 2011 at 1:06 PM

Yummy! Would be so good with chopped baby bok choy mixed in!

Ela May 16, 2011 at 11:35 AM

Yum–we might plant some peas today! Do you have a garden where you are?

Alexandra May 16, 2011 at 10:39 AM

hahaha I love this!! Snow Peas are my favorite veggie EVER 🙂 Imma definitely be trying this recipe, thanks for sharing!

chrysta May 16, 2011 at 10:26 AM

mmmMMMM..snow peas are one of my favs. I think I could tons of them!

Alisa Fleming May 16, 2011 at 9:49 AM

Aw, what a sweet story about you, er the princess 🙂

Last summer, when we had a CSA, I fell in love with fresh peas that you remove from the pod yourself. I like snow peas, but the whole peas, wow, I sure hope I can find them again!

Jenny (Fit Girl Foodie) May 16, 2011 at 9:44 AM

I love snow peas! I’ve recently gone mad and starting eating them everyday in stir frys. When I go into my phases I can’t help myself 😀

leenanna May 16, 2011 at 9:28 AM

That’s a beautiful story to tell the children while trying to make that actually EAT the peas lol. The pics look great yum.

Shanna, Like Banana May 16, 2011 at 6:58 AM

Cute 😉

I love snow peas as well, particularly straight from the garden.

Lauren @ WWoB May 16, 2011 at 5:47 AM

so fresh and so clean clean!! Ive got snap peas – thatll work!

Kat May 16, 2011 at 3:50 AM

Garlic and ANYTHING is perfect for me! It seriously adds such flavor I just adore it. My daddy used to have a pretty big garden that had all these things…peas, carrots, tomatoes, apples, pears, peaches. I was so in love! Then he got rid of it all 🙁

Sarah @ The Smart Kitchen May 16, 2011 at 3:15 AM

Simple, beautiful, and (I’m sure) delicious.

Sam May 16, 2011 at 3:05 AM

MM this looks so good! I, too, miss the fresh peas out of my parents garden. I wonder if i can grow some in a container…or look for them at the farmers market! It’s not the same from the grocery store. And then i could make THIS! yum!

Sable@SquatLikeALady May 16, 2011 at 2:42 AM

Hehe Lori you are adorable =)

Annnnd YAY for a snowpea recipe — I LOVE snowpeas but haven’t had them in SO long. Good thing grocery store is on the agenda today 😀

Pure2raw twins May 16, 2011 at 2:16 AM

oh I have not had snow peas in so long, now I am craving them!

I want to go to the Land of Lori 😉

tea-bag May 16, 2011 at 2:04 AM

oh this dish reminds me of the snow pea stir fries my obachan (japanese grandma) used to make! she had a big garden in her back yard & my grandpa & i would pick the veggies for dinner each night! nostalgia … and hunger pains! 🙂