Thruster Water Workout: CrossFit Style Pool Workout

July 6, 2011

Ah, CrossFit days...

I suppose it’s summer since it’s finally hot (as in HOT) in northern California. I’ve been visiting my parents’ a lot lately and here, it’s definitely summer.

With the temperature staying around 93 degrees at 8:30 pm (no joke), I’ve spent a good deal of time in the pool. I’ve also been trying to get my workouts in as early as possible, just so I’m not completely melting during the workout. To combat this heat, I’ve also been playing with the idea of incorporating some water-time into my workouts.

I’m not a huge fan of swimming, for the main reason that it’s hard. All of you swimmers out there, hands down to you. I’m impressed with your motivation for swimming aimlessly back and forth in those lanes, without music, even. I just don’t know how you do it.

But I do know those swimmers have some killer backs! Oh yes, have you seen their swimmer muscles?

Me! Ready for the WOD to begin.

Anyway, last summer, one of our CrossFit workouts included a pool WOD (workout of the day) and everyone loved it. Even me. It was short and sweet and fell in the category of HARD.

Being that I love a hard workout, and I surely know you do too, let’s start swimming!

Thruster Water Workout

You’ll need dumbbells (relatively heavy) and access to a pool. This workout is done by alternating swimming with jumping out of the pool and preforming thrusters with dumbbells. Complete this for your best time! For the thrusters, see this video. Enjoy!

• 100 meters, freestyle swim (there and back twice)
  • 21 dumbbell thrusters
  • 100 meter, freestyle
  • 15 dumbbell thrusters
  • 100 meter, freestyle
  • 9 dumbbell thrusters
  • 100 meter, freestyle
  • 6 dumbbell thrusters
  • 100 meter, freestyle
  • 3 dumbbell thrusters
  • 100 meter, freestlyle

Done and relax! This one is tough but is an incredible metabolism boosting workout. It’s also relatively short. I think I completed this in about 15-20 minutes. So have fun!

No weights to use for this workout? No problem! Just throw in some jump ropes and/or air squats, push ups, whatever, and you’ve got yourself some serious exercises going.

And don’t you worry, you won’t go hungry- I’ve got a very CrossFit-esc recipe for you tomorrow. Paleo and absolutely delicious!

Pool Workout of the Day

What’s your idea of a water workout? Tips/ideas?

Is it HOT where you are???

Chuck July 7, 2011 at 7:21 PM

Try doing bicycle crunches immediately after doing burpees- feels so weird and hard! Found that out today

Katie July 7, 2011 at 9:30 AM

Sounds awesome! I might try this soon! I am thinking push ups instead of thrusters, though! This would be great for my endurance…I am training for a half marathon!

Kris @Krazy_Kris July 7, 2011 at 6:11 AM

LOVE THIS! Sonjia’s doing classes integrated with the pool – I’m kinda skeeeeeered tho.

Lily July 7, 2011 at 12:54 AM

What a cool workout! I actually swim and play water polo competitively, but even I find laps boring sometimes, IΒ΄d love to give this workout a shot to mix things up a little. I donΒ΄t have weights though… what combo/reps of pushups, jumping jacks, squats etc. would you recommend to get a similar effect?

And I am in Madrid at the moment… itΒ΄s BOILING here.

Ella Callahan July 6, 2011 at 11:31 PM

It’s so hot here it makes me tired just reading the details of your workouts. I really like the idea of the pool but I’m not sure I would ever want to get out. Am I just being lazy?

Chuck July 6, 2011 at 7:56 PM

Sounds awesome! Totally trying this… and setting up bike up on the trainer next to the pool too

Leanne @ Healthful Pursuit July 6, 2011 at 3:19 PM

oh my gosh, that’s SO hot. I love swimming lanes, but I get so bored. If only there were earphones that could hold 5-6 songs and were waterproof. Then, I’d be set!

Heather @ kissmybroccoli July 6, 2011 at 2:38 PM

I love that my gym has a pool! A lot of my workouts end with about 15-20 minutes of freestyle swimming…aka, Heather’s pathetic excuse for the art of keeping her head above water while in a pool! πŸ˜‰

It has been SO HOT here lately! And the humidity is killer! My last few morning runs have been with 80%+ humidity! Sticky sticky!

salah@myhealthiestlifestyle July 6, 2011 at 9:57 AM

I love love love water workouts so much! I’ve been doing them about 2-3 times a week and its been so great! I’m definitely going to be trying this workout tomorrow!

The Teenage Taste July 6, 2011 at 8:43 AM

Whoa! That workout sounds intense – I love it! Thanks for sharing, Lori!

Ela July 6, 2011 at 8:38 AM

Nice bikini shot too! Have you gone blonde?

Water workouts scare me: I’m not much of a swimmer either (and prone to ear infections, which puts me off) but I know it’s a wonderful way to work out.

Alyssa @ Life of bLyss July 6, 2011 at 8:31 AM

you are a CHAMP. and look at that hot bod! πŸ™‚ I want to come work out with you.

Pure2raw twins July 6, 2011 at 8:25 AM

oh man tough workout. I did some casual swimming and forgot how much it works the whole body πŸ˜‰

Katie July 6, 2011 at 7:39 AM

I got really into swimming when I had a stress fracture in my foot in college, and I actually liked the sounds of the underwater lap swimming. Now I get bored. Is it possible my attention span got smaller?

Its hot here too and I keep saying I’m going to workout early, and then coffee happens…

Erika July 6, 2011 at 5:12 AM

that is so awesome! i wish i still had a pool! it’s definitely been hot and humid here in the northeast (for once!)..and i love it πŸ™‚

kalli July 6, 2011 at 4:32 AM

wow what a great workout! and yes it is hot here but it feels good πŸ™‚

Michelle {the lively kitchen} July 6, 2011 at 4:19 AM

Hee hee – my pool access is limited to a big family pool at the gym with water slides and such. I’d get some stares if I busted out with some thrusters amidst the pool noodles and toddlers. Maybe I’ll have to give it a go. πŸ™‚

Emily July 6, 2011 at 4:15 AM

I have been looking for a swimming workout – it has been SO hot! I’m not sure if I am ready for your workout (as I am just learning to swim!), but I love the idea of incorporating weights with a swim. Thanks for posting this, it is VERY motivating πŸ™‚

Sable@SquatLikeALady July 6, 2011 at 4:10 AM

Lori. You are a HOTTIE, you know that right? πŸ™‚

This workout looks awesome!! Wish I had access to a pool πŸ™

Kat July 6, 2011 at 3:45 AM

Gah I wish I had access to a pool!! That workout sounds so incredibly intense, I love it!! And I’d like to point out how badass you look being the only girl besides one other. Work it girl πŸ™‚

Lori July 6, 2011 at 3:54 AM

haha, thank you.

This is a serious workout. I did it last night… oooooh my goodness. Let’s just say, I’m a SLOW swimmer and this was hard!

Alexandra July 6, 2011 at 3:11 AM

Dang that workout sounds INTENSE! Hot is an understatement here in Texas, it’s been 103 for a consecutive week and no sign of rain eww!

Kelly July 6, 2011 at 2:55 AM

WOW! Sounds like an awesome workout. I love to swim laps…I actually find it kind of relaxing! Go figure. Is it hot where I am? It’s brutal. This has been such an over the top record breaking summer for us! ACK!

Erin July 6, 2011 at 2:13 AM

Thank you for your thruster water workout, I love to do Pilates, too bad there is no Pilates in water.. πŸ™‚

Lori July 6, 2011 at 4:15 AM

Hmmmm…. I wonder if there’s a way to do a pilates workout in the water? I’m sure there’s a way…