Dec
2011

Paleo Sandwich Coconut Bread

24 comments

Did you know that even famous people crave sandwiches once in a while?

It’s true.

I would know. I’m famous.

But this is when a predicament strikes. You see, Paleo eaters don’t really eat sandwiches. At least not in the traditional, white flour sense. Lettuce wraps are great and all, but sometimes you just need something more substantial.

And then Pinterest came into my life to clear things up for me.

Follow Me on Pinterest  (Plug for you to follow me…)

Whilst browsing through an endless flow of pictures, I found this little gem. Coconut 2 Minute Bread, Paleo, by 24/7 Low Carb Diner. I saw it and knew it had to become my reality.

Is it sad I talk about food as though it was my past, future, and everything in between?

The only glitch in my plant to take over the sandwich world… no ingredients.

BUT! I had just enough things that I could throw together something worthy enough to satisfy this wich-of-sand (and that just sounds disgusting) that I currently craved.

Onward! In my kitchen: Coconut flour, eggs, almond milk, a can of tuna, Greek yogurt, Dijon mustard, and greens.

Yep, that works in the making of a sandwich.

And sandwich platform this is. This bread isn’t your super fluffy white bread you may be used to. This Coconut Paleo bread is dense, thick, and oh-so hearty. I couldn’t even finish one sandwich using it! It’s FILLING.

But, it was good.

If you’re on the search for coconut flour, which some of you are, I’d try the bulk section of your local grocery store. Or Amazon.com. I get a lot of my kitchen items online as they’re usually cheaper. (This is my Amazon Store, if you’re interested in checking out the items I buy on a regular basis.)

Alternately, if coconut flour isn’t your thing, you could use almond flour, rice flour, whatever flour you’d like. But keep in mind that coconut flour soaks up a LOT of liquid so you may have to use less almond milk.

Anyway, back to the sandwich:

I filled my sandwich with a mixture of tuna, Greek yogurt, paprika, and extra Dijon mustard.

Topped it with white onion, lettuce, more Dijon mustard, and homemade pickled green tomatoes.

That is my sandwich.

What would be yours?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pssst! Pass it on...
Facebook Twitter Email Gmail Pinterest Delicious Stumbleupon Tumblr Digg

Hi everyone, I'm and this is my blog What Runs Lori.

Like it? Love it? Want some more of it? Subscribe now! You can also find me on Facebook and Twitter!

Contact Me!

lindsay December 16, 2011 at 8:34 AM

good stuff woman! think garbanzo flour would work too?
lindsay´s last blog post ..Rainy Day 30 min.Thursday

Lori December 16, 2011 at 9:12 AM

Definitely. But I would pay extra attention to the amount of liquids you use.

nelly December 16, 2011 at 8:49 AM

that sandwich looks and sounds amazing…

thanks for sharing this recipe…i am so on this one…yummmmmmo!!!!!

have a beautiful weekend.

amy@healthyhungryhappy.com December 16, 2011 at 10:18 AM

oo good idea!! this looks great!!
amy@healthyhungryhappy.com´s last blog post ..Running with Music

Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table December 16, 2011 at 10:23 AM

I’m not paleo, but I love the bread idea! I’m always looking for new ways to use my coconut flour.
Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table´s last blog post ..Holiday Wine-ing

Christin@purplebirdblog December 16, 2011 at 1:03 PM

I just pinned the hell out of this. I have everything to make it except a bundt pan, so I may have to improvise on a baking vessel, but this sh!t sounds awesome!
Christin@purplebirdblog´s last blog post ..WIAW: I Feel the LOVE

Ela December 16, 2011 at 10:32 PM

Wow, just one tablespoon of flour! Coconut flour is amazing. Was afraid for a moment that the tuna was part of the bread recipe–that didn’t sound good to me… But otherwise..
Ela´s last blog post ..Bliss Challenge #2: Destination Present

teabagginit December 18, 2011 at 3:53 PM

sad but true: i don’t know the last time i had a sandwich … it’s one of my “fear” foods. but, that bread does look hearty and delicious. i think this fear is something i need to conquer!
teabagginit´s last blog post ..Re-Focus

Pure2raw twins December 18, 2011 at 5:34 PM

yum! love the sound of this dense bread ;)

Dara December 20, 2011 at 5:51 AM

Love it! I am a huge fan of any alternative to traditional bread. Well done. Also: Pinterest is amazing!!!

Meagan December 20, 2011 at 6:12 PM

I found this through Chowstalker. IT looks absolutely fab. I love how its a ONE serving option :)
Meagan´s last blog post ..Thanksgiving ideas including CORNBREAD!

jane December 26, 2011 at 3:51 PM

These look and sound fantastic! Would I double everything to make two? A recipe that makes a half dozen or at least 4 would be great!

Lori December 27, 2011 at 12:20 PM

You could definitely double the recipe- or even make two out of the recipe here. The bread I made was pretty hearty and big, so just making two “breads” would work.

Lisa May 19, 2012 at 11:53 AM

I loved this bread so much, but wanted more of it all at once. I experimented and took the recipe times 12! I put it in a normal sized loaf pan. It took a lot longer to bake, obviously…like 45-50 minutes. I let the outside get overdone to sacrifice having the middle rise and cook thoroughly. Then, I just easily peeled off the burnt “crust” and it left the most perfect large loaf of paleo bread that I can use for sandwiches all week (made about 16 slices). Thanks for posting this because I haven’t been able to find a larger coconut flour bread recipe that tasted this great and wasn’t too sweet. Here is the recipe times 12.

3/4 cup of coconut flour
1 Tablespoon Baking Soda
1 1/2 tsp salt
Dozen eggs
1 1/2 cup almond milk
1/4 cup olive oil
1/4 cup honey

Lori May 27, 2012 at 4:59 PM

This is great!!! Thank you for posting this and for giving some great ideas on making a real Paleo bread… that lasts a little longer than 5 minutes. ;)

Ann W. November 10, 2012 at 3:33 PM

Hi Lori – I have a bundt pan, but I’m trying to figure out how you used the bundt pan to make it. Where do you put the dough? Do you flip it upside down and pour the batter into the middle? Thanks for your help!

Amy November 14, 2012 at 11:47 AM

This looks like a great recipe to try, butI am confused about the bundt pan. My bundt pan is a one piece pan, with a very skinny center section. Your picture looks to me like the removable base of a springform pan. Most come with a choice of bases: some are flat for cheese cakes and some have a tube up the middle for kuchens and the like. Is your choice of a “bundt” pan just to achieve a certain diameter for your bread? I am anxious to try this out as I am a celiac and sick and tired of the starchy bread recipes and products I generally run across!

Marie February 14, 2013 at 10:37 AM

I just made this, but ended up doubling it to have an extra. I did not find it dense at all, in fact mine was light and fluffy. It was delicious and satisfied my craving for bread so I am a happy gal. Thanks for the recipe! (and also for whomever posted the loaf recipe as well.)

Lori April 26, 2013 at 2:50 PM

Glad you liked it and that it came out fluffy! It’s a fun and easy recipe. :)

Athletic Greens this site July 9, 2014 at 6:24 AM

Pumpkin- high in fiber and low in calories, pumpkin packs a fortune
of disease-fighting nutrients, including potassium, pantothenic acid,
magnesium, and vitamins C and E. If you choose diet shakes, be careful to
choose those containing more fiber with less sugar. A common problem, particularly in larger breeds of dogs, is problems
with their joints as they age.
Athletic Greens this site´s last blog post ..Athletic Greens this site