Who doesn’t love chocolate for breakfast?!
Do you see anyone raising their hand?
But in most households, a chocolate breakfast contains a box of sugar-and-chemical-filled fluffy “grain” puff that are drenched in milk. NOT in this household…
When I talk chocolate on this blog, it’s in the lusciously dark, sinlessly healthy, and deliciously crunchy form of the cacao bean. Those dark pieces of unadulterated, raw cacao nibs. So sexy!
(Yes, food is sexy.)
And with those cacao beans come the perfect amount of rich, dark chocolate flavor with a small boost of energizingly natural caffeine.
Throw that wonderful bean (or in powder form! That’s cacao) into a green smoothie and life is complete.
For those of you who have not yet tried a green smoothie what’s wrong with you?! this is your jumping off point. Try it! You’ll never (EVER) know there’s good-for-you greens involved.
Green Cacao Chocolate Smoothie
Inspired by (Never) Home Maker’s The Not-So Green Smoothie
Makes one giant smoothie.
- 1 cup frozen strawberries
- ½ banana, fresh or frozen
- 2 HUGE handfuls of spinach (or 2 cups packed, as I like to add)
- 1 heaping tbsp raw cacao powder (or unsweetened cocoa powder)
- 1 heaping tbsp nut butter (almond, cashew, sunflower, peanut, etc)
- 2 tsp raw cacao nibs (optional)
- Dash of Stevia, honey, agave, or a pitted date
- 1 cup coconut water or almond milk
Combine all ingredients in a blender. The more frozen fruits you use, the more thick this smoothie is.
Add ice, if needed, or more liquid for blending.
Top with a sprinkle of raw cacao nibs and enjoy with a spoon.