Frozen Friday: Raw Banana Ice Cream

September 3, 2010

Good Lord we all made it to Friday! You hear me? We made it! And now it’s time to celebrate… the foodie way… healthy, easy, fast, delicious.

So, since it is Friday and it’s a holiday weekend (wooh hoo! 3 days off!), I’m going to leave you with some workouts.. just in case you’re feeling energized after the healthy ice cream binge. ๐Ÿ˜‰

CrossFit workout ideas:

Clean & Jerk Complex
complete each of the 4 moves on the minute, every minute, for 15 minutes
1 power clean
1 push jerk
1 hang squat clean
1 split jerk

Workout Of the Day #1

21 kettlebell snatches, each arm separately (12 kg or 26.5 lbs)
21 pull-ups (assisted, if you’re like me)
15 kettlebell snatches, each arm
15 pull-ups
9 kettlebell snatches, each arm
9 pull-ups

(my time: 7:34)
Timed. And if this looks easy, IT’S NOT. My hands were shredded by the end of this… helps with grip strength… and callus building. Ug.

Workout Of the Day #2
complete entire sequence for 5 rounds, timed
3 front squats (95 lbs)
6 plate sit-ups (25 lbs plate)
12 kettlebell swings (16 kg or 35 lbs)
200 meter run

Workout Of the Day #3
complete entire sequence for 7 rounds, timed
7 pull-ups
7 push-ups
7 air squats

See, working out can be fun… when it’s over. These workouts are definitely great short workouts. If you do try them out, let me know how it goes. ๐Ÿ™‚

And after you’re done working out, download this fantastic new (free) eCookbook. Alisa, creator of One Frugal Foodie blog, created this compilation of 125 blogger-tested recipes that are great alternatives to Lunchables, Cheetos, and sugar-loaded gummy snacks and other processed and not-so-healthy lunch items that are available for kids’ lunches.

“Just two weeks ago I set out on a mission: to spread the word about healthy and delicious whole foods for breakfasts and school lunches. When I laid eyes on the โ€œBack to Schoolโ€ ad from my local grocer (a grocer that is actually ahead of the curve in natural food offerings), I was appalled by the complete lack of real food in the entire four-page advertisement.โ€ -Alisa, fabulous eCookbook creator.

Inside Smart School Time Recipes you’ll get recipes in the following categories (yum!):

• Morning Muffin Mania
  • Sensational Smoothies
  • Easy Freezinโ€™ Waffles, Pancakes, and French Toast
  • More Smart Starts
  • Dips, Fillings, and Spreads
  • Soups and Stews
  • Salad-Style
  • More Lunchbox Love
  • Sweet Snackinโ€™
  • Craving Cookies
  • Essential Extras

What are you waiting for? It’s FREE, contains amazing recipes that anyone can easily make, and there are even pictures to keep you entertained. ๐Ÿ˜‰ Download it here, now.

What are you doing for your Frozen Friday?

Plans for the long weekend:

1. Getting hair cut and colored on Friday (in dire need)
  2. CrossFit Saturday class
  3. Washing car (again, DIRE need)
  4. Younger sister is coming to town Saturday pm (for half marathon)
  5. Party with gym friends (yes, I’m a nerd) Saturday night
  6. Sunday COMPLETE rest day
  7. Lululemon Half Marathon on Monday

Well, that’s it. That’s all I’ve got for you today. Have a fun and safe weekend!!! And remember:

kelsey@snackingsquirrel.com September 7, 2010 at 2:39 PM

THIS IS INSANE LORI!! <3
that looks like sugar coated crack in a bowl lol- dynamite ๐Ÿ˜‰

Ela September 7, 2010 at 10:23 AM

That sounds so yummy – tahini is wonderful stuff and I have gone through phases of obsession with the banana/tahini combo especially in ice cream. Now that I have a vitamix, I’m excited to try making my own tahini (maybe even with previously soaked and dried seeds).

Katie September 7, 2010 at 5:13 AM

I’m too late to say good luck, but I can’t wait to hear about it!!
.-= Katie´s last blog ..Back =-.

Madeline - Greens and Jeans September 6, 2010 at 7:04 PM

Can’t wait to hear about the half!
.-= Madeline – Greens and Jeans´s last blog ..just in case =-.

Alisa September 6, 2010 at 2:50 PM

Oh holy yum! Love banana ice cream and those additions sound fantastic!!

Thanks for letting people know about the ebook too!!!
.-= Alisa´s last blog ..Quick- Homemade BBQ Sauce =-.

maggie @livingfoodjunkie September 6, 2010 at 12:38 PM

Ahhh Lori I meant to comment on your post on Friday, but I got side-tracked at looking at the awesome recipe e-book and then my laptop died in the middle of doing so ๐Ÿ™ Now i’m back and commenting! hehe ๐Ÿ™‚ Your icecream looks delicious! Are you using an icecream maker??? Did you finally get one!?

kate September 6, 2010 at 12:08 PM

i haven’t thought of putting pureed fruit in the icecream maker. duh! thanks for the suggestion!
.-= kate´s last blog ..Millions of Peaches =-.

Christine September 4, 2010 at 6:10 AM

I seriously love banana ice cream. It’s so full of win.

Can’t wait to get my ice cream maker. Nice workout!
.-= Christine´s last blog ..Yes- I Take More Then Just Food Pictures! =-.

Michelle@ Housewife in the Raw September 4, 2010 at 5:46 AM

Thanks for the book download. I just got it and will definitely be using it for the kids this year. Your weekend sounds ideal. Enjoy it!
.-= Michelle@ Housewife in the Raw´s last blog ..When Iโ€™m Not Feeling Like a Salad =-.

Laury @thefitnessdish September 4, 2010 at 5:37 AM

Nice lookin’ banana ice cream!! I made some soft serve myself yesterday, but it wasn’t as in depth as yours!! I gotta try all those add-ins!! Have a great weekend, girl!
.-= Laury @thefitnessdish´s last blog ..5 Things Friday =-.

Eden September 3, 2010 at 4:04 PM

i love making my own ice cream! o the possibilities! I top mine TVP granules and coconut flakes! Looks like a busy weekend! I wish mine were more exciting….sigh…
.-= Eden´s last blog ..BBQ Tostada and Edenโ€™s Culinary Definitions =-.

Pure2raw twins September 3, 2010 at 3:24 PM

Sounds like a busy weekend for you!!! And your ice cream looks great…I had some banana ice cream tonight too ; )
Have a great weekend!!
.-= Pure2raw twins´s last blog ..Cheezy noodles =-.