One Oat, Two Ways

April 4, 2011

So, did you unpurpose your life this weekend? Hope so. πŸ˜‰

Did anyone else’s weekend literally fly by? Weekends are just way too short. I managed to do more baking (you will love this next post πŸ˜‰ ), I never want to stop baking, learned how to make authentic Arabic and Turkish food (so so so good), got my nails done (relaxing), cleaned, got some laundry done, drank numerous cups of coffee, and did some needed weight lifting. My butt is so sore glutes got worked by deadlifts. I love deadlifts.

Aaaaaaaaaaaanyway, it’s Monday. Monday means starting the day with breakfast.

Are you a sweet or savory kind of breakfast eater? Whatever your preference, these oats will surely satisfy.

I’m a fan of oats. They’re portable, easy to prepare, and can be prepared in many different ways.

I’m a fan of sweets. I like my (healthy) desserts. Always have, always will.

I’m a fan of (dairy free) cheesiness. The creamy, warm, and wanna-be cheese flavor is (for those doubters out there) bursting with flavor.

I’m a fan of oats. I’m a fan of sweets. And I’m a fan of cheesiness. Lucky for me, I ate the sweetness and cheesiness at different times. Lucky for you, both dishes contained easy oats and you get the recipes.

For the savory side of life…

Cheesy Oats

inspired by β€˜You’re So Cheezy’ Savoury Oats

• 1/2 cup oats
  • 1 cup almond milk
  • 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast
  • 1 tsp miso paste (or Tamari or soy sauce)
  • salt, Cajun spice blend (or blend of cayenne pepper, paprika, and cumin)
  • Dash or two of turmeric
  • Dash or two of the little black dress of seasonings
  • Salt, if necessary
  • 1 egg, if you so desire. I desired.

Mix all ingredients together in a pot and bring to a boil. Reduce to low and cook for 10 minutes, stirring frequently.

Top with more paprika and thinly sliced green onions. Cilantro would also be wonderful in this.

But, if you like sweet, I’ve gotcha covered.

Have I mentioned I’m also a fan of Angela’s Oh She Glows blog? I should mention, her oats create inspiration, sweet and savory inspiration.

Sweet Hazelnut Carrot Cake Oats

inspired by Oh She Glow‘s Carrot Cake Oatmeal

• 1/2 cup oats
  • 3/4 cup almond milk
  • 2 tbsp Hazelnut Coconut Creamer (or more almond milk or regular coconut milk)
  • 1 large carrot, finely grated (about 1 cup)
  • 1 tsp pumpkin pie spice blend
  • Pinch of kosher salt
  • 1/2 tsp fresh lemon juice
  • 1 tsp chia seeds
  • 2 tbsp pure maple syrup
  • 1 tbsp coconut milk cream (optional for drizzling on top)
  • Shredded coconut, for garnish
  • Cinnamon, for garnish
  • Raisins, for garnish

Finely grate the large carrot to yield 1 heaping cup of grated carrots.

In a medium sized pot over medium heat, add your almond milk, lemon juice, and coconut milk creamer. Stir well. Add in your pumpkin pie spice and salt. Stirring again.

Stir in your grated carrots and oats. Cook for about 8 minutes, stirring frequently, avoiding a full boil. When the mixture has thickened up, chia seeds and maple syrup. Remove from heat and pour into a bowl.

Top with rest of coconut creamer (or coconut cream). Sprinkle with cinnamon, coconut, and raisins.

I love inspired dishes. And fun bowls. πŸ˜‰

What is special about this Monday for you?

Do your weekends fly by, too?

Breakfast: Sweet or Savory?

Heather @ kissmybroccoli April 7, 2011 at 3:39 AM

I love how your personality comes through in your writing! I always feel like I’m sitting there with you when I read your posts.
“…the little black dress of seasonings” <- Love it!

I flip flop on my cravings for sweet and savory, but I am a HUGE fan of savory oats! Just posted some last night!

Today, I couldn't decide so I had both…scrambled eggs with kale and cinnamon raisin toast with pb and banana. Yum!

Melissa April 5, 2011 at 8:44 AM

I’me becoming a bigger and bigger fan of oats! Love the savory and sweet option! I love my sweets too. I like savory breakfast but I’m more apt to go for sweet..sweetened with fruit usually:)

PS love the bowls you used:)

Alyssa @ Life of bLyss April 5, 2011 at 6:43 AM

I’ve honestly never tried anything but fruit and peanut butter in my oats. I obv need to branch out and try some really cool new things. πŸ™‚

Alisa Fleming April 5, 2011 at 5:43 AM

I do both a sweet and a savory breakfast (doesn’t everyone eat two breakfasts?). But, as much as I like cheesy rice, I’m not enough of an oat fan to dare that one! The carrot version would be my first choice.

Salah (My Healthiest Lifestyle) April 5, 2011 at 4:37 AM

omg those carrot cake oats look soooo amazing, well, so do the cheesy ones too! lol

Chuck April 4, 2011 at 7:50 PM

Sweet sweet sweet! Where do you get coconut milk cream?? That sounds amazing!

Katie April 4, 2011 at 7:09 PM

Back when I was a breakfast eater, I was all about the oats – I’d do savory with nooch and onion/peppers/salsa and I’ve also done the carrot cake – with pineapple.

Oh, yeah. Do it. Pineapple makes the oats, I kid you not.

Leanne @ Healthful Pursuit April 4, 2011 at 4:41 PM

Savory or sweet, I’ll take whatever I can get [although when I make my own breakfasts I go for sweet]. I can’t have oats, but I’m thinking that the savory sauce would be AWESOME on rice pasta… totally giving it a try. I’m happy you posted this recipe first. It was my top choice from your post on the weekend.

Katie April 4, 2011 at 3:21 PM

Ahhh, I love it! Carrot cake oats are a favorite of mine. I need to buy some carrots this weekend and I will be all set! πŸ™‚

Pure2raw Twins April 4, 2011 at 2:22 PM

Love both ideas! And I am a sweet and savory person πŸ˜‰ Love them equally! I try to do different things for the BF each morning for his oatmeal but he likes his plain and simple. Usually I add in a nut butter and sometimes hemp protein but that is as far. I hope to keep expanding his palate to like his oats in other ways πŸ˜‰

christina April 4, 2011 at 2:16 PM

OMG both of these sound incredible. !!!! bookmarking this!!!

Jenn L @ Peas and Crayons April 4, 2011 at 1:20 PM

Girl! you know I am allll about the savory!!!! =) cheesy oats all the way! with cajun and green onions? I think I love you!!! yummmmm

Sable@SquatLikeALady April 4, 2011 at 12:13 PM

Oh MAN those sweet oats are calling my name! Also: I got my nutritional yeast last…Friday? maybe? And I am IN LOVE. I don’t know if there’s one single meal I’ve had that hasn’t involved it. lol!!

I do sweet AND savory breakfasts…sweet oat bran (usually chocolate =D) and savory eggs.

Lori April 4, 2011 at 12:50 PM

I love love LOVE nutritional yeast too! It’s SO good. You can throw it in smoothies to make it taste like cheesecake, too! Try it. πŸ˜‰
So much added protein, too. It’s a wonderful flake. πŸ™‚

Erica April 4, 2011 at 11:28 AM

I must try that carrot cake breakfast with sprouted quinoa! Bet it would be delicious.

And I musttt know where you got that mini green dish! Please tell!

The (Cooking) Boyfriend April 4, 2011 at 10:47 AM

When do you make all this stuff? Is it before I roll out of bed?

Lori April 4, 2011 at 10:52 AM

Yep. You’re a lazy bum.

kate April 4, 2011 at 10:32 AM

i am a sweet breakfast kind of gal for sure. lately i have been making a smoothie with a ridiculous amount of ginger each morning. maybe that makes me a spicy breakfast fan?!

love your little green dish with the lid. very very cute!

Lori April 4, 2011 at 10:41 AM

I hear ya on the green smoothies loaded with ginger! I’ve been putting quite a big chunk of fresh ginger with cinnamon and a dash (or more πŸ˜‰ ) of chili powder! I love sweet and spicy. πŸ˜‰

Erika April 4, 2011 at 10:06 AM

yummm!! i have THE biggest sweet tooth in the entire world, i have to have a sweet breakfast! i’ve always wanted to try savory oats, but i’m not gonna lie, i’m a little scared to! ..but i’ll seriously eat anything that involves nutritional yeast haha.

Lori April 4, 2011 at 10:44 AM

Um I LOVE nutritional yeast. But yeah, I’m a big fan of sweets. So, like you, breakfast is usually loaded with fruit (green smoothies) so they’re nice and sweet tasting. πŸ˜‰

The savory oats were still really good, though!

kat April 4, 2011 at 9:46 AM

Mmmm I’m all about the sweetness. I’ve never tried savory oats and to be honest probably won’t!! Some things are best the way they are, and oats to me are best left sweet!! Although I have been tempted a few times to go the savory route with oats πŸ™‚

Lori April 4, 2011 at 10:40 AM

Yeah I like my sweets. Definitely like my sweets. The savory oats were actually REALLY good. I was pleasantly surprised!