5 Challenges. 5 Small Victories. That’s today’s HAWMC prompt on Day 27, Friday, Weekend Tempter!
Prompt: Make a list of the 5 most difficult parts of your health focus. Make another top 5 list for the little, good things (small victories) that keep you going.
The 5 most difficult parts of my health focus? This is hard because health (including exercise and nutrition) come easily to me. Besides my chocolate fix every night (yep, every night!), I don’t have much trouble getting in a short workout or eating pretty healthy (didn’t say 100% healthy..). But one thing that has been a work-in-progress is mental health. This includes emotional, spiritual, and self-care.
1. Sticking to a regular practice of positive thoughts and affirmation has been a little difficult. It helps tremendously and I recommend it to anyone (everyone!) but when I get too many things thrown at me at one time I get stressed- leading to not the most positive thoughts floating through my head.
I say my affirmations in the morning, read fun, happy books at night. I write in my gratitude journal, even. But I loose sight of “Happy thoughts! Happy thoughts!” when other things fill my brain. 😉
2. Being respectful- to everyone. There are times when I, Lori Thomas, are not the nicest daughter or sister. I know, hard to believe, but true. 😉 Growing up I was probably deemed a nightmare in my mother’s eyes. We fought constantly about anything and everything. Always, we’d make up and retract any hurtful comments, but the bickering was still there.
I’m working on being more respectful of those I love and how I interact with them. People I don’t know are included in this- a stranger deserves my happy respect, too. I want to be a loving, more caring person and that includes inwardly and outwardly. (I love you Mom and Dad and Sister!- By the way, my mom and sister’s birthdays are tomorrow, April 28th! Happy birthday!)
3. Limiting my honey, nut butter, and chocolate. Seriously, when night hits, so does my spoon to the aforementioned jars (and DARK chocolate chunks of wonderful).
5. Will get back to you.
Well, I can start with: I JUST GOT A HUGE PROMOTION AT WORK! It’s official! I sign papers on Monday! 🙂 By the way, I don’t think I’ve mentioned it on my blog, but I am working for a large software company in Silicon Valley. This is since January, so it’s a pretty new thing. Details to follow in a later post.
1. Expanding What Runs Lori. I’m trying to promote WRL more and dedicate more time to my beloved readers. I’m trying to post more, give more recipes, more solid advice- or personal experience that have worked, and uplift and motivate more. So far, so good. I’m loving the feedback I get from private emails and the few comments (where are the rest of the comments?!).
2. Developing more relationships focused on similar interests. I’ve recently gained some amazing friends that have been truly motivating, uplifting, supportive, inspiring, and just downright awesome people. Always, ALWAYS, good to have those people in your life. 🙂
3. Going up in the corporate world!
4. I finally love and accept myself. And it feels good.
5. Consuming more green juices and more green smoothies (well, I’ve always had green smoothies.., but still!). Just delicious, nourishing, wellness-in-a-jar/cup drinks. And being that Vega is my
new obsession favorite protein powder, let’s take a whirl with this delicious drink!
Cookies ‘N Cream Green Smoothie
Makes 2 servings, or 1 for a Lori
- 1 1/2 cups coconut water* (or almond milk or water)
- large handful of greens (about 2 cups spinach)
- 1 large scoop Vega Chocolate Whole Food Optimizer
- 1/2 cup frozen blueberries
- 1/2 frozen strawberries
- 1 tbsp green powder (Dried Alfalfa Powder is my new thing…)
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp chili powder
- pinch of Vanilla Stevia (or tbsp of honey)
- Ice, if needed
Blend, blend, blend in your favorite blender (Blendtec, I love you.)
Serve in a mason jar. 🙂
*Fresh coconut water, straight from the young coconut is best, but Zico brand is pretty good)