Oatmeal is one of those things that has been done in every way, shape, and form, especially in the food blog world. Don’t get me wrong, I love my bowl of overnight oats but I’m just not going to be the blogger to post every bowl I eat, because 1) the dish is usually the ugliest looking thing, and 2) because honestly a bowl of oats is a bowl of oats. Exciting? Not mine.
There are however, tons of bloggers out there with a knack for making outrageously delicious looking oats made overnight, oats in a jar, baked oats.. you get my drift. Each bowl of oats they do post is a masterpiece in itself.
When I eat oats, it’s usually at work, after my post workout smoothie has been downed, and they are one big glass container of mush. They taste amazing, but appetizing they are not.
Weekend oats is a different story…
Red Velvet Oats
[overnight oats topped with coconut flakes, chia seeds, and cacao nibs]
- 1/3 cup old fashioned oats
- 1 scoop of your favorite protein powder (Life’s Basics Vanilla, tastes like cake batter)
- 1/4 cup almond milk
- 2 tbsp beet puree or beet juice (left over from Double Chocolate Beet Cake- recipe tomorrow!)
- 1 tbsp cocoa powder
- 1 tbsp maca powder (optional but tasty)
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract and cinnamon
- sweetener of choice (I used liquid Vanilla and Chocolate Stevia)
- dash salt
Combine all ingredients in a bowl or glass container and set in the fridge overnight, if you can wait that long.
In the morning, stir again and top with the optional coconut flakes, chia seeds, and cacao nibs, or any combination of toppings you’d like.
Eat and enjoy.
Not only pretty, but tasty too. A guilt-free way to get red velvety goodness without the cake.
But tomorrow I’m blessing you with veggies as a dessert… in the cake form you don’t get in the oats. 😉