Paleasagna – The Best No Pasta Lasagna

December 30, 2011

Just because I don’t eat pasta, which I have never really liked, doesn’t mean I don’t want some gooey, warm, comforting lasagna. I grew up disliking pasta, but loving lasagna. I could live on the sauce, rich and tomatoey.

One great thing about lasagna is that you can direct the outcome. But having a good base for a recipe can really makes your creation great.

When I stumbled upon this recipe for no-carb, no-pasta lasagna, I knew this base was exactly what I wanted for dinner. I gathered the ingredients and set out on a no-pasta lasagna journey to give this recipe a little Lori touch.

Not only is this Paleasagna absolutely delicious and comforting, it’s loaded with veggies and low on refined grains (or carbs). I added raw goat cheese to the top of mine (hello, look at the melty goodness!) but you can definitely skip this step. There is dairy in this recipe but if you’re looking for a dairy-free option, simply make your own cashew “cheese” sauce! Another healthy alternative that would be outrageously divine.

And on a completely side note, make this walnut “cheese” sauce! It’s soooooooooooo good.

*Dairy-free options:

Creamy Walnut “Cheese” Sauce

Thick Tofu Cheesy Sauce

You can use any ingredients with this dish, as no matter what veggies you put in place, it’ll be good. Thinly sliced eggplant would be delicious. I will need to make this again with a new mix of veggies.

What is your favorite comfort dish?

Pasta or no pasta? I’m just not, and never have been, a fan. I could live on just the sauce any day.

Pam July 12, 2015 at 2:49 PM

Just made this and divided it in half to freeze 1/2 of it. I made a mistake and grabbed sour cream instead of greek yogurt and instead of goat cheese I used organic cheddar. That’s one mistake that absolutely is delicious :-) One other thing I did was slice my zucchini and then salted it and let it sit for 30 minutes. I then blotted off the excess moisture and that helped a lot for the “runny” problem folks are describing. I, too, browned and drained my meat before making the casserole and that also worked well. Terrific veggie dish (even though there’s meat in it) and excited to know I have another in my freezer for the future :-)

Lori July 14, 2015 at 8:02 AM

Thanks Pam! I LOVE your variation! I’ll be trying this out again with using the salting technique. Love it!

venezolanos con mayores seguidores en twitter January 26, 2015 at 5:46 PM

Good info. Lucky me I came across your website by accident (stumbleupon).
I’ve saved as a favorite for later!

Divorced Kat August 12, 2014 at 5:31 AM

I subbed in kale for broccoli, Morningstar Farms Veggie Crumbles for the meat, and mozzarella for goat cheese. Need to be careful that this doesn’t get too watery next time. Great recipe with lots of protein!

Txgirlatheart June 26, 2014 at 6:12 PM

My first paleo recipe and of course I cooked it on a night when my husband had an employee over…everyone loved it and had seconds! We will make this again for sure!!!

Lori September 28, 2014 at 8:22 AM

Fantastic!! So happy you shared this!

Mike June 20, 2014 at 2:34 PM

This recipe was great. I was skeptical but this blew my mind on how good it was

Kim Narolewski May 21, 2014 at 8:33 PM

Can this be made and frozen? Would like to make and bring with me when I go away this weekend. Easier to make at home and bring but I need to make it by Thurs and eat it on Saturday.

Espe March 23, 2014 at 9:03 AM

As far as greek yogurt…do they sell plain greek yogurt? I only see vanilla flavor greek yogurt :/

Espe March 23, 2014 at 12:25 PM

nevermind, I found it!

Cindy March 3, 2014 at 6:30 PM

Tried this tonight, and it was great! Pleasantly surprised by how much it seemed like regular lasagna. Even my picky 4 year old enjoyed it. :) Thanks for the recipe!

Alicia November 27, 2013 at 8:05 AM

While this sounds yummy it is neither NO CARB or PALEO….

Kaila October 1, 2013 at 6:02 PM

This is so good. One of the best recipes I’ve ever tried. It’s a new staple in my recipe box.

Robin September 26, 2013 at 10:16 AM

Do you know the nutritional breakdown for this recipe? I’m interested in calories, carbs, fiber. Thanks!

Darlene Pfister September 18, 2013 at 4:59 PM

Loved this! Always looking for ways to get more veggies, less grains in, and this delivered in a big way. The yogurt and goat cheese delicious….topped it all with Parmesan as its what I had. Thank you SO much, a keeper!

Jessie September 17, 2013 at 7:25 AM

We have a version of this that uses thin length-wise slices of sweet potatoes in place of noodles… all good!

Suzanne Langton September 12, 2013 at 6:50 AM

You can also use eggplant slices in between and it will keep the lasagna look and layer to it..

Haley August 26, 2013 at 7:06 PM

How would it be with regular yogurt instead of Greek? I made some homemade a number of days ago and need to finish it up before it goes bad.

Sarah a August 14, 2013 at 2:59 PM

I just want everyone to know to cook the meat before you add all the other stuff. After cooking the meat make sure you drain it first !!!! I think this is why everyone is saying theirs might be too watery. Not everyone knows to do this. I know I didn’t

Kim August 8, 2013 at 9:48 AM

Made this a few weeks ago and it was the best lasagna I’ve ever had. I made a bunch of changes, but the basic recipe was the same. I used mushrooms instead of broccoli, added some italian sausage and used venison instead of turkey, left out the italian seasoning and used 2 cups mozzarella instead of goat cheese (it’s really expensive around here). Both my kids and my husband loved it too! Thanks for such a great recipe!

Lori August 25, 2013 at 7:47 AM

Sounds incredible!! I love your variation. I will have to try that one out!

Lori August 5, 2013 at 5:09 PM

That was soooooo yummy! I am dairy free so had to improvise with the yogurt and goat cheese. So I used Daiya motzerella shreds and mixed an egg with the broccoli and used hummus (Iknow chickpeas arent 100% paleo, but I used what i had! :-) ) Fantastic!! Even the kiddos liked it! Thanks for the recipe!

Julene July 30, 2013 at 9:28 AM

So good! Thank you for the recipe! :) It was a little watery, so the next time I’ll shred the zucchini and squeeze out the excess juice in a towel before I layer. :) Delicious flavors!

Sherry in Union, KY July 23, 2013 at 3:06 PM

I really enjoyed this but for the goat cheese. Thanks for the recipe!

Jelena July 13, 2013 at 2:30 PM

OMG, this was incredible! I stumbled upon this one on Pinterest and since I review delicious looking recipes from Pinterest, I just had to share this one too! I gave it rave reviews and even prepared it for when my mother-in-law came for dinner. It was a total success! Absolutely fantastic recipe.

You can read the review here:

Thank you SO much for such a great recipe!

Take care,

Mary July 1, 2013 at 9:34 PM

I made this for dinner tonight and it was excellent. I used ground beef and omitted the goat cheese. I used 1 heaping Tbs dried oregano and a frozen pesto cube (ice cube tray sized). It was excellent- my husband really liked it and he’s not even a big fan of zucchini.

Kristy June 18, 2013 at 5:35 PM

I’m making this recipe tonight! I just put it in the oven for when my husband gets home from work. He gets home late. It’s a little rainy here in PA tonight so I thought this would be the perfect dinner with a side salad. He is diabetic so we cut out all pasta. We haven’t missed it, especially when you come across a recipe like this! Thanks so much! Oh and the yogurt sauce..soooo good!

Janet June 11, 2013 at 1:57 PM

In the process of making this dish. Should there be a foil cover at all? Some of the time?